2011 Dodge Charger lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Charger:

2011 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 4 of 6)

Jan 162014

Charger 6-cyl

I had to have the wiring harness for the headlight replaced, as the headlight would not work.

- Lebanon, IN, USA

Jan 132014

Charger 6-cyl

My passenger side low beam headlamp went out. I purchased a new bulb but when I went to replace it, I noticed that the harness attached to the bulb was scorched and melted. I replaced the harness along with the bulb. The headlight worked for a few days but no longer does. I noticed there is a recall for a similar problem but when I contacted the dealer, they informed me that my car was not part of the recall even though the problem is identical.

- Natick, MA, USA

Dec 162013

Charger 4-cyl

Noticed that the passenger side low beam headlamp was not lighting. Installed a new lamp with the same current and power specs. With less than 4 hours on the new lamp it also failed to light. Removed the lamp and found the connector shell/housing charred and brittle. Contacts on one side of the connector and both the original and replacement lamps were discolored by intense heat. Evidently, the connector contact was not providing a solid connection with the lamp terminals, and the high resistance connection resulted in overheating and melting of the connector, a dealer service advisor informed me that this is a known, ongoing problem for which the solution is to replace the entire wiring harness at the owner's expense. Research indicated that the problem has been acknowledged by Chrysler, but only police vehicles have been recalled. To avoid spending hundreds of dollars to have the entire harness replaced, the original connector has been removed and a replacement connector installed. Whether "new" harnesses installed to fix the problem use the same inadequate connectors is unknown.

- Brentwood, MD, USA

Jan 012014

Charger

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that the headlights suddenly failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the headlight harness needed to be replaced. The vehicle was scheduled for repairs. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure and informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number 12V042000 (electrical system, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic). The failure mileage was 52,000.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Dec 292013

Charger

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the passenger's side low beam headlight bulb failed. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the technician stated that the wiring for the light assembly was melted. As a result, all of the wiring needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 68,000.

- Hampton, VA, USA

Dec 262013

Charger 6-cyl

Driver side low beam light went out. Tried replacing the bulb, which was much more difficult than anticipated so, decided to take it to the Dodge dealer I purchased the car from. Received a call from the service department only to be told that it was not the bulb but was the entire wiring mechanism and the wires had "melted". I have been a loyal Dodge customer for many year, despite many difficulties with other Dodge models. Most recent, this headlight issue, not covered under any recall (even after reading all these complaints) and I am over my 36,000 mile warranty, I am extremely disappointed in Chrysler! not only because of the cost of this repair, but now I worry that if the heat is enough to melt the wires, what happens the next time I am driving and the wires actually catch fire? guess Chrysler will issue a recall once someone is severely injured or worse case dead because of this issue!

- New Baltimore, MI, USA

Mar 152013

Charger

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that the exterior lights stop working. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing and the technician stated the wiring harness was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 38,000 and the current mileage was 43,000.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Dec 092013

Charger 6-cyl

Drivers side low beam went out while driving at night. While changing the bulb, I noticed that the connector and bulb were melted, black, and brittle. The new bulb lasted two days before it went out. Contacted Dodge about the recall on Dodge Charger police vehicles, but VIN specific recall does not cover my vehicle. Now I'm forced to get the harness repaired at my own expense. Does not seem right that there are so many others with the same problem, but Dodge is not fixing the problem"?"

- Bowling Green, KY, USA

Dec 172013

Charger 6-cyl

Same as everyone else. Started with having to replace both lightbulbs multiple times. Dealer said it was wiring harness but not covered by recall. Within 6 months major catastrophic failure with alternator and battery, again not covered.

- Deltona, FL, USA

Jun 062013

Charger 6-cyl

2011 Dodge Charger drivers side low beam headlight went out during low visibility, further investigation revealed the wiring harness leading up to the bulb overheated and is resulting in intermittent operation. It is sometimes possible to manually move wires to get the headlight back on but eventually it goes back out. Head light has been replaced a couple of times but this is not the root cause, root cause is something is causing the wires to overheat.

- Mount Pleasant, TX, USA

Nov 292013

Charger

Have a 2011 Dodge Charger that head light went out. Had it replaced and a few days later went out again. The next day car wouldn't start. Had to have car towed to dealership. Had to replace alternator and battery. Cost over $ 800 to get fixed. Don't understand with so many complaints that are identical why Dodge hasn't had a recall. Seen where police cars have been recalled. Going to contact an attorney to see what options I have bc this is just wrong.

- Gray, TN, USA

Nov 262013

Charger

TL-the contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. The contact stated while driving approximately 50 mph the headlight were activated, the suddenly the passenger's side low beam headlights failed to illuminate. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who informed that the headlight wiring harness overheated and would need to be replaced. There was a recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 12V042000 (electrical system, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic) and the VIN was not included. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 64,000.

- Lenior, NC, USA

Dec 032013

Charger 6-cyl

Passenger side low beam headlight keeps going out/fails to light. The halogen lamp after being replaced fails the same way. If wires are jiggled, the light often will go back on, but then fails again. This has happened repeatedly. My wife contacted Chrysler 1 800 853 1403 and they told her that the car was not covered under a recall. The recall involved police versions of the same car. The same problem appears to be happening in civilian versions as well. Our local dealership is pleading "ignorance" and wants to charge us to repair what is obviously as design/engineering defect. What is scary is the defect in police cars also notes a tie-in to a fuse box and control panels that could result in a crash. This vehicle only has between 12,000 to 13,000 miles on it as of today's date. My wife is absolutely afraid to drive the car at night. The 2011 Dodge Charger poses a dangerous problem to public safety, not only for the driver and passengers, but also to other people and property that might get hit in a crash. Why do people have to die before things like this get serious attention? Chrysler llc should be ashamed of itself for not stepping up.

- Aurora, IL, USA

Dec 062013

Charger

Got pulled over by police for having right front headlight out. Did some research and found that this was a common problem with the wiring harness. Sure enough, when I wiggled the wire, the light came on, so the bulb is good but the wiring is bad. Seems this is a common problem, Dodge should be taking care of this.

- Deridder, LA, USA

Dec 052013

Charger 6-cyl

My low beam headlights have went out over 5 times this year. I replaced the light at my expense every time. I took my car to a car shop to have the headlights replaced only to find out the bulb harnesses were burnt up. I took my car to the dealer to have the burnt up bulb harnesses replaced because that's what the remedy is and I was told my car could not be fixed with out payment. They stated that the recall was for a different car. My VIN # only showed the ABS/ESC, door handle, and airbag harness needed to be replaced. From the look of it other people are having this same issue. Chrysler needs to be held accountable to correct this issue. The issue occurred due to the ABS/ESC system which was recalled.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Aug 012013

Charger

Right low beam has gone out three times over the past three months. After further review of the wiring connector that holds the bulb, the connector is melted and will no longer illuminate a bulb. After calling Chrysler's recall to inquire as to if they will fix the issue, because there is a similar recall for the police only models, I was told no. I will have to pay out of pocket to have the entire harness and wiring replaced. This is a design defect that Chrysler/Dodge will not take responsibility for. Due to the headlight being out, I can barely drive my car. I am unable to drive my car at night for fear of having no visibility or a collision. The recall that was sent was M01, however Chrysler states that this recall is only applicable to 2011-2012 police vehicles.

- Oakley, CA, USA

Nov 172013

Charger

My driver side headlight went out so I replaced both bulbs with hid lights and the next day the same light went out then the other one flickered then turned off. I ended up driving home using my high beams.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Nov 112013

Charger

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the passenger's side headlight failed. The contact stated that while changing the light bulb, she noticed that the passenger's side head light harness was melted. The contacted replaced the light bulb but the repair did not remedy the defect. The contact called the local dealer and was informed that there were no recalls for the vehicle. The contact did not contact the manufacturer. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 57,617.

- Collinsville, TX, USA

Nov 012013

Charger 6-cyl

Started low beam headlight burnt out. Replaced it and it went out again, only to notice that the harness is starting to melt. Pretty frustrating.

- Graceville, MN, USA

Nov 082013

Charger 6-cyl

Wire harness to drivers side low beam headlight has melted. Seems like a common problem w/ this make, model, and year of this vehicle.

- Brentwood , NY, USA