2011 Dodge Charger lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Charger:

2011 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 5 of 6)

Oct 012013

Charger

Multiple incidents of headlamp burning out in rapid succession. Replaced each time with new only to happen again. Wires on harness for headlamp are melting, causing burnout. Dealer wants to charge to replace "headlamp assembly" (pn 57010411ae/ac/ad), but there is a recall on police models for this exact issue under Chrysler M01 recall/NHTSA recall 12V042000. Chrysler says recall complete and refuses to fix for free, but obviously those previously recalled vehicles weren't the only ones affected as evidenced by other complaints here. I should not have to spend nearly $500 to repair a known issue on a two year old vehicle.

- Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Oct 212013

Charger 6-cyl

Low beam headlight went out. Changed it and the very next day went out again. Looked to see the harness was burnt. High beams work fine. Checked to see if it had a recall, Chrysler said no. Will be contacting my lawyer since I've noticed everyone has been having the same issue. I think every Dodge Charger will have this problem and there are too many for them to recall, so they are going to get a gang of $ off of repairs.

- West Park, FL, USA

Oct 142013

Charger 6-cyl

Driving home from school when I smelled hot what seemed to be wire coating melting. The passenger light went out, so I found a parts store and purchased a new light put it in saw that the wiring connector to the light was black and crispy, took note, one day later the bulb went out again, this time I opened the hood looked at the light and it was burned to a crisp, took the bulb out and the wire connection was melted beyond repair and the light casing was completely burned out. The wire connection had bare wire melted outer insulation was melted right off of the wire. I took the bulb out and started looking at why. I am not happy to see the issue, I have had my new to me car for only a month, will this be an expensive fix or will Dodge help fix it ?

- Portland , OR, USA

Oct 012013

Charger

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that the passenger's side headlight stopped illuminating. The contact replaced the bulb but the failure recurred. The driver's side headlight also stopped illuminating. The failure recurred three times. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic for diagnosis. The mechanic stated that the bulb harness connector was melted. There was a recall under NHTSA campaign number: 12V042000 (electrical system, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic) however, the manufacturer advised that the VIN was not included in the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 46,000.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Sep 042013

Charger 6-cyl

Backing out of the driveway and noticed driver side low beam was out. Took it to the dealership and they told me to replace the bulb. Bought the bulb and approx. 4 days later low beam was out again along with the A/C going in and out. Took it back and was told this time that it was faulty wiring in the harness and needed to be replaced because it had melted, which is the same issue that was repaired in June 2012 due to the recall. Replaced the harness and on the same day of payment and retrieving the car, the passenger side fog light was out. Obviously by this point I was extremely disappointed with this problem as this was the 4th visit. Took it back a 5th time for the fog light. They replaced the bulb and after 2 days the other fog light shorted out. Absolutely fed up with the problem I decided to take the car to a different Dodge dealership. Upon diagnostic I'm told that my power distribution center is melted and fuses are cracked hence the problem with the A/C and fog lights shorting out. I've researched the problems I'm having with the car only to find out that it is a common theme amongst the same year model of my car and was even told by the dealership that the problems were only recalled in police vehicles under code M01. I was also told that if the problem isn't fixed it could lead to the vehicle being completely unable to start. After dealing with headquarters and 2 dealerships I'm being told that I'm out of warranty at 55,000 miles and the repair is $984. The dealer came back with a goodwill offer of $500 that is only valid for 30 days. To me this is an admission of guilt yet they still do not want to repair and I'm left driving in an unsafe vehicle. Corporate Chrysler told me that the problems I'm having do fit the parameters of recall M01 but since my vehicle is not on the list, I cannot be helped. What does that tell you?

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

Oct 042013

Charger

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that the low beam head lights suddenly failed while driving 65 mph. The contact took the vehicle to a local mechanic to have the light bulb replaced however, the bulbs failed weeks later. The low beams bulbs also failed. The contact took the vehicle to a dealer, who stated that the low beam harness was defective and needed to be replaced. The contact did not have the low beam harness replaced. The failure mileage was 57,000.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Jul 102013

Charger

The passenger side headlight wiring harness has melted causing the light to not work. This has happened twice now. I noticed there is a recall but only on the police cars. Why only police cars? the people who have paid for these vehicles with their hard earned money deserve the same treatment. This is a known issue with these vehicles. The recall needs to be expanded to all Chargers in that year not just police cars. Dodge needs to consider all of their customers in this issue.

- Mechanicsville, VA, USA

Aug 232013

Charger

Driving at dusk. Noticed passenger side low beam headlight was out. Checked it the next day and found wiring jumper had gotten hot and began to melt. Same exact problem I had with the drivers side low beam headlight 4 months prior. Had to have wiring harness replaced.

- Yadkinville, NC, USA

Jan 042013

Charger 6-cyl

Bad driver side low beam harness. Bulb needs to be replaced every few weeks because of it. This model should be recalled for fix. I have over 36000 miles now and it is not covered under the warranty.

- Lewisville, TX, USA

Oct 072012

Charger 6-cyl

I have replaced the passenger headlight bulb 6 times in the year I have owned the car. Obviously it is not the bulbs, nor is it a fuse. Factory warranty just ran out on the car. Before when I would replace a bulb the light would work fine. But as the light would go out sooner and sooner everytime it seems after I would replace it. This last time I replaced it, it worked but was out byt he time I got home from the auto parts store. I did notice it coming on and going off while driving on the high way. However 95% of the time the passenger side low beam light does not come on.

- Erie, PA, USA

Jul 102013

Charger 6-cyl

Wiring harness on low beam passenger side headlight failed (shorted out), causing visibility issues.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Jul 272013

Charger

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while having the vehicle serviced routinely, the mechanic informed the contact that the wiring for the headlights was melted and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- Montgomery , AL, USA

Jul 252013

Charger

The passenger side low beam headlight appeared to have burned out. This was not the case. The headlamp harness for the low beam headlight became so hot it melted and began smoking. This is an apparent serious problem in this year model. There have been several complaints about this and the only recall is for police vehicles. The rest of us have to fork money out of pocket to fix a clear and apparent manufacturing defect and major safety issue. This happened to me while I was driving on an unlit roadway after dark. My headlight went out and began smoking. I had to pull over and disassemble my headlight assembly to keep it from smoking.

- Poquoson, VA, USA

Aug 142012

Charger

Headlight harness burns out the bulbs. This issue was part of the Chrysler M10 recall. The recall was done on my vehicle but the issue continues. I was also charged hundreds of dollars for a new headlight harness.

- Tucker, GA, USA

May 122013

Charger

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. The contact stated while driving approximately 55 mph the headlights were activated. The passenger's side headlights failed to illuminate without warning and the failure recurred intermittently. The failure was not diagnosed nor was it repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 32,000.

- Dothan, AL, USA

Jun 042013

Charger 6-cyl

Low beam headlight on the driver side is out. I took my vehicle to my local dealership to find out they had 4 Dodge charges in on that very same day due to the same issue. I was advised it may not be the bulb but the harness and wiring. The service department confirmed it was the harness and wires. He showed me the fried wires and advised there is a recall for the 2011 Chargers for the very same issue but it's only for police vehicles. If the product is bad or improperly put together the recall should be for everyone not only for police vehicles. I have seen other complaints regarding this same issue and some people have documented that this issue has caused fires in their vehicles due to faulty wiring. This should be a safety issue for everyone. Please make this a recall for all vehicles not only for police vehicles.

- Wilson, NC, USA

Jul 012013

Charger 6-cyl

Driver-side low beam bulb appeared to be burned out - took to dealer and they found the wiring harness was burned (just as described in recall M05 for police vehicles) and had to be replaced. I really wish they had replaced both sides since they had it all apart (have to take bumper off to get to headlights which is another sad story) - they covered this fix but only because I had vehicle on extended warranty this should be a passenger vehicle recall too. Now I have to wait around for it to happen to passenger- side (or to driver side again, since cause of harness melting seems likely to be something deeper than just the harness/wiring itself - voltage regulation or "?" I don't know, but replacing it with the exact same part doesn't seem like a permanent solution).

- Colleger Park, MD, USA

Jul 012013

Charger 6-cyl

The headlight jumper assembly melted and began smoking on the driver's side. The passenger side did the same thing at 35600 miles. There is a recall for the police model, but not the standard model. Believe it is a safety issue and should be handed by the Dodge corporation.

- Miami, FL, USA

Mar 262012

Charger

The low beam headlamps had a shortage in the wiring harness. The dealership replaced the passenger side and three months later the driver side started shorting out with the same issue. A friend of mine had the same exact issue in a brand new 2011 Charger and replaced both lamps in a similar fashion. I was told by the dealership that this issue was a problem for a few more customers. It is a recall for a police Charger, but not a regular Charger.

- Ripley, TN, USA

Jun 242013

Charger 6-cyl

The low beam headlamps of some vehicles could fail due to an overheated bulb harness connector. My vehicle 2011 Dodge Charger has this problem and Chrysler has a recall but not for my vehicle. I called Chrysler customer service without any help to fix this in my vehicle. I want Chrysler to fix this problem in all Dodge vehicles not just certain vehicles. You can find this on their website for recalls. Chrysler is recalling certain model year 2011 and 2012 Dodge Charger police vehicles. Consequences: This could lead to loss of visibility and/or braking ability, increasing the risk of a crash. Remedy: Chrysler will notify owners and dealers will replace the headlamp jumper harnesses and relocate the ABS/ESC system fuse within the power distribution center, free of charge. The safety recall began on April 2, 2012. Owners may contact Chrysler at 1-800-853-1403. Potential units affected: 9137 read more: www.motortrend.com/cars/2011/Dodge/Charger/recalls/#ixzz2xhdwvqrg.

- Blythewood, SC, USA