CarComplaints.com Notes: The first year of the new Dodge Dart had a rough start, with owners reporting a disproportionate number of engine and transmission problems.

For transmission, the main complaints are transmission failure & rough shifting. So far, average mileage for transmission failure is 25,000 miles. Not good.

For engine problems, it usually starts with the engine light coming on for any number of reasons: bad sensors, ignition coil replacement, bad wiring, faulty gas cap ... dealers are replacing various components with varying degrees of success, or telling owners they can't duplicate the issue.

2013 Dodge Dart drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Dodge Dart:

2013 Dodge Dart Owner Comments (Page 10 of 12)

Jul 252014

Dart 4-cyl

I have a new Dodge Dart that for the past month have been fighting with arrigo Dodge service dept regards to my concerns with issues. My calls went unanswered and was given the blow off. This past Friday my ac quit working was when I took the car in they were forced to address my concerns... when I asked for a rental I was refused...

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Jul 072014

Dart

I was accelerating from a stopped position and was shifting into fourth gear when the clutch pedal stayed depressed to the floor. I have had this car back from the dealer 10 days. It was in the service department to correct the same problem. This is the third time this car has done this. The case numbers for the first two are 10542516 and 10607620. Like the second episode, I was left in a vulnerable situation in which I was almost hit. The lanes taper from two down to one and I was in the inside lane coming out of the taper. A truck coming up from behind was unaware to the slow speed of my car and I was not able to accelerate. He was able to swerve across the no passing lines into another lane and avoid hitting the back of my car. I was able to coast to next cross road and just make it off the state highway. My vehicle was towed back to the dealership.

- Rushville, IN, USA

Sep 162013

Dart 4-cyl

Clutch pedal does not return from depressed position. Clutch pedal is soft and clutch mechanism does not function properly for a few minutes of initial operation. After the initial incident this problem has become more frequent and now occurs almost daily.

- Winchester, IN, USA

Jun 232014

Dart

I have filed a complaint in Sept. 2013 the incident number was 10542516. I my vehicle was towed to the nearest dealership for repair. The clutch pedal would not return once depressed. It was determined that it was the slave cylinder. That was replaced, taking over a week. The remedied the problem until the end of June 2014 when the car began displaying the same problem. I was getting on the interstate and went to shift from 2nd to 3rd and the clutch pedal remained depressed once again. Not having power at this key point of acceleration was dangerous and I was almost rear ended by a semi. I took the car to a dealership once again and it was determined the slave cylinder was the problem once again. I think this really needs to be examined as it creates a serious potential for injury.

- Rushville, IN, USA

Jun 212014

Dart 4-cyl

Have had transmission issues since have the car 2/13. On 6/21 300 miles from home cars transmission just stopped working while driving. Felt like car was in neutral. Cost me $1000 to town/rent a car etc.they said transmission module failed. Car just stopped very dangerous. Chrysler said my responsibility to pick up car 220 miles away and drive home. I ask them to have someone drive to my local dealer they said no. Drove 4 hours this morning picked up car drove about 10 miles same thing happened today. No service tech to look at. Had to rent another car and drove home. Drove 10 hours 500 miles today for no reason. Someone's going to get killed and I don't want it to be me or my family. I googled this issue and there are others out there with the same problem.

- Aventura, FL, USA

Feb 152013

Dart 4-cyl

2013 Dodge Dart. Consumer writes in regards to transmission malfunction, broken tire sensor and other vehicle problems. The consumer stated the transmission has been on going since, the first day the vehicle was purchased. Apparently, it was a factory default, that could not be fixed. The transmission down shifted into second gear, the clutch would stick, the gears were grinding when in reverse and a metallic noise was heard when down shifting in any gear the dealer replaced the second gear and synchronizers. The sun visor no longer stayed in its position.

- Dunedin, FL, USA

Sep 172013

Dart

I have had quite an experience with my Dodge Dart. It is in the shop this week. I had complained first about the hesitating when I first started the car and it was cold outside. The engine seems to give out and a tiny back fire. I have the computer navigation on the dash and it began to flicker and my mileage started to flash. My check engine light would come on for no reason and the navigation began to fail. I had parked my Dart in the driveway and it had rolled out into the street and a county worker knocked on the door to tell me I was blocking access to the drivers. I went to move my car and the clutch was stuck to the floor of my car. I could not get it in or out of gear. So far Chrysler has replaced the electrical/computer part, the part for the clutch. I just found out about the recall for the brake and transmission. Last my door is darker then the rest of the car and they are having it painted.

- Red Lion, PA, USA

Mar 202013

Dart

For the past year and a half my clutch has been losing all resistance. This usually happens when the vehicle is cold and at times I am unable to put my car into gear. Sometimes this has happened while at stop lights or even pulling out into traffic. Every time I take my vehicle to the dealership aim told there is nothing wrong. Eventually they replaced my clutch master cylinder about 8 months ago the first time. Problem seemed to resolve then about 2 months ago it started doing it again. Went back to the dealership and told nothing was wrong. After multiple trips to dealership they finally agreed to replace master cylinder and discovered the slave cylinder is leaking. Vehicle back in the shop for the past week replacing slave cylinder. Any perspective Dart buyers out there, I really caution against this purchase. This is only one of multiple issues I have had. On a side note, I purchased this vehicle new in July 2012 with 120 miles on it. Since then I have had 2 ignition coils replaced, 2 clutch master cylinders, slave cylinder, 3 turbos, catalytic converter all replaced. Buyer beware.

- Valdosta, GA, USA

Nov 142013

Dart 4-cyl

On multiple occasions, worse when it is hot outside, the clutch pedal will be soft and not come up off the floor. When the clutch is soft, I am not able to shift in or out of gear. If the engine is on and in gear, you cannot pump the clutch until the vehicle is off, or if you manage to get it into neutral. As I prefer to park the vehicle in gear, when the clutch goes soft, it makes it difficult, if not impossible, to remove the shifter from gear to prevent the car from moving and hitting an object. I have almost hit a concrete pillar and driven through my garage when this happens. I get the feeling the clutch is not fully disengaged, despite the pedal stuck on the floor. Without parking in gear, I run the risk of the car rolling away if the parking brake fails. There have been no leaks and the dealer has been unable to locate the problem.

- Katy, TX, USA

May 122014

Dart 4-cyl

On the morning of May 17th, 2014, the check engine light appeared after restarting the vehicle while in line at the dealer service department. Error messages appeared on driver information center ("park assist off, side blind zone alert off, automatic high-beams off"), gear selection was unavailable and vehicle would not start. The vehicle was started after five minutes of rest with the "vehicle is not in park" error message displayed. The service adviser found codes for transmission and body control modules with multiple communication errors. The transmission control module was replaced on May 18th. On the morning of May 27th, the vehicle was brought back for cosmetic warranty repairs. The vehicle exhibited the same transmission problems after the engine was restarted at the dealer service department. The transmission control module was replaced again on May 29, 2014.

- Celebration, FL, USA

May 112014

Dart 4-cyl

As we were crossing a large bridge in New York city, the engine light came on. Within a minute after the light came on, the engine light started blinking, and the car began to run very roughly. Smoke began to come from the vents, the car began to shake and overheat. After another minute, the car lost all power and became more difficult to control. We stopped at the closest area to pull off. Chrysler roadside assistance had us wait for two hours before notifying us that our car was located 100ft shy of being able to be towed. We managed to fudge the car another 100ft, and reached a side street where we needed to wait another two hours to be towed. This was May 11th. The verdict from the local dealer is that the entire bottom end fell off after just over one year of typical use (less than 17000 miles), and the engine must be rebuilt (crankshaft, engine block, everything). We still have not received an estimated time of completion, and only estimates of when the engine will be in (over a month later) detachment or partial detachment of these components is extraordinarily dangerous, particularly at the speed that we were moving, and we were very fortunate not to be injured, or be in an accident. We were even lucky to get off of the bridge.

- Shillington, PA, USA

Dec 232013

Dart

Went to start my car in the morning pushed the clutch to the floor and it did not return, just stayed depressed against the floorboard. Took it to the dealership and they said everything is functioning as designed. Well its not! I called Chrysler customer service and they told me the clutch is only under warranty for 12000 miles. My previous 3 cars have been manual transmissions and all went well over 100000K without any clutch issues. My car now does this regularly at least once every other day. I am extremely disappointed in Dodge and thought they were "focusing on quality". the lack of concern by Dodge regarding this safety issue is downright disgusting. After speaking with the customer service rep she stated she would contact the dealership and call me tomorrow. No call, no E-mail. Then they have the nerve to send me a survey on how was my issue resolved. It wasn't that's why you got all 1's. why don't you actually stand by your product?

- Vacaville , CA, USA

Dec 262013

Dart 4-cyl

I went out in the morning to start the car and it would not go into reverse. The gear stick felt stuck and I had to have my husband come out and put the car into neutral and roll the car back so we could start it in first. This happened again one month later, only the car would not even go into first gear. We had it towed to dealer and were told we had to pay for a new clutch-it was burned out. Burned out at 18,000 miles. We paid for a new clutch, and now 4mths later, the car is doing the same thing. Problem going into reverse. Dealer can find nothing wrong with it-I am scared the clutch will burn out again-never know when this car will leave me stranded. Worst experience ever.

- Myrtle Beach, SC, USA

Apr 142014

Dart 4-cyl

I was at work(4-14-2013) getting ready to go home and started the car put it in gear car started to jerk engine light came on. I went to dealership it was closed. I called made an appointment for Tuesday 22 April, 4-15-2013 ) light went off. April 18 2013 light came back on took it to dealership they kept it over night. They said there were some computer up dates. I picked my car up 4-19-2013. On 4-22-2013 light came back on drove back to dealer ship, I ask to see the updates. Service department said Chrysler doesn't allow them to give us the codes for the updates, they did. I have owned my car seven weeks. Paid $17000 + for it.

- Elizabethtown , KY, USA

Apr 162014

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the vehicle failed to respond to deceleration attempts. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 3,500.

- Roselle, IL, USA

Jan 302014

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact stated that while stationary, smoke emitted from the front end of the vehicle and "transmission getting hot" displayed on the instrumental panel. The vehicle then stalled. The fumes from the smoke also caused the contact to have headaches. The contact took his vehicle to the dealer who, along with the manufacturer, stated that this was a normal occurrence. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure was 1500.

- Moreno Valley , CA, USA

Mar 202014

Dart 4-cyl

Brand new 2013 Dodge Dart, six speed manual transmission. Began smelling and smoking when teaching my son how to start on a hill. Smoke was coming from front right side of transmission. Smelled like a burning clutch. This occurred after a short period of time on the hill (less than five minutes). Took car back to dealership today (3-24-14), and was told there is a sticker on the transmission that burns (it was removed today, and has been removed on other Darts they have worked on for the same problem), and the smell and smoke were also coming from the clutch. They test drove the car over some hills near the dealership and were able to reproduce the same smell, but said it is likely caused by the new clutch and should be driven 1500-2000 miles before being concerned about this issue. I have never experienced clutch burning like this, especially after such a short period of time on the hill, and I've driven many manual cars/trucks over many years.

- Hiawassee, GA, USA

Nov 042013

Dart 4-cyl

After several hours of staying parked with transmission in gear (1st), vehicle would not disengage gearbox on startup. Clutch lost all pressure and the vehicle required excessive use of force to dislodge gear shifter. Vehicle was started (clutch disengaged and in neutral) and vehicle began to drive forward. Clutch/transmission remained in contact with engine causing the vehicle to continue moving forward even while in neutral. Transmission/clutch wouldn't reengage without excessive force.

- Prairie Village, KS, USA

Dec 132013

Dart

Sitting idle in drive-thru car started smoking heavily under the hood and thru the interior vents. Finally stalled. Got it restarted but it would not go into gear. After about 30 minutes, it finally went into drive and I drove it immediately to the nearest Dodge dealer. After a week, they found the dual clutches both needed replaced. Was told that I would have to put the car in N whenever sitting at an idle longer than a few seconds. (this is unacceptable to me). Was also told that I was not to 'ride' the brake. Either "be on in or off of it". (this is also unacceptable to me.) also, car revs up to ~5,000rpms before shifting from 1st to 2nd but (of course) never does it when I leave it for the dealer. Am not happy with my purchase. My dealer has been good but I will not be buying another Dodge. I buy new for safety, security and reliability and with this vehicle, I feel I have none of the 3. the lease cannot be over soon enough.

- Kokomo, IN, USA

Apr 222013

Dart 4-cyl

Parking brake would not engage 3 different times, dealer suggested it was a part failure. Another time clutch would not come up and stayed to the floor, clutch fluid leaked.

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA