Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The first year of the new Dodge Dart had a rough start, with owners reporting a disproportionate number of engine and transmission problems.

For transmission, the main complaints are transmission failure & rough shifting. So far, average mileage for transmission failure is 25,000 miles. Not good.

For engine problems, it usually starts with the engine light coming on for any number of reasons: bad sensors, ignition coil replacement, bad wiring, faulty gas cap ... dealers are replacing various components with varying degrees of success, or telling owners they can't duplicate the issue.

2013 Dodge Dart drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Dodge Dart:

2013 Dodge Dart Owner Comments (Page 10 of 11)

Mar 202013

For the past year and a half my clutch has been losing all resistance. This usually happens when the vehicle is cold and at times I am unable to put my car into gear. Sometimes this has happened while at stop lights or even pulling out into traffic. Every time I take my vehicle to the dealership aim told there is nothing wrong. Eventually they replaced my clutch master cylinder about 8 months ago the first time. Problem seemed to resolve then about 2 months ago it started doing it again. Went back to the dealership and told nothing was wrong. After multiple trips to dealership they finally agreed to replace master cylinder and discovered the slave cylinder is leaking. Vehicle back in the shop for the past week replacing slave cylinder. Any perspective Dart buyers out there, I really caution against this purchase. This is only one of multiple issues I have had. On a side note, I purchased this vehicle new in July 2012 with 120 miles on it. Since then I have had 2 ignition coils replaced, 2 clutch master cylinders, slave cylinder, 3 turbos, catalytic converter all replaced. Buyer beware.

- Valdosta, GA, USA

Nov 142013

Dart 4-cyl

On multiple occasions, worse when it is hot outside, the clutch pedal will be soft and not come up off the floor. When the clutch is soft, I am not able to shift in or out of gear. If the engine is on and in gear, you cannot pump the clutch until the vehicle is off, or if you manage to get it into neutral. As I prefer to park the vehicle in gear, when the clutch goes soft, it makes it difficult, if not impossible, to remove the shifter from gear to prevent the car from moving and hitting an object. I have almost hit a concrete pillar and driven through my garage when this happens. I get the feeling the clutch is not fully disengaged, despite the pedal stuck on the floor. Without parking in gear, I run the risk of the car rolling away if the parking brake fails. There have been no leaks and the dealer has been unable to locate the problem.

- Katy, TX, USA

May 122014

Dart 4-cyl

On the morning of May 17th, 2014, the check engine light appeared after restarting the vehicle while in line at the dealer service department. Error messages appeared on driver information center ("park assist off, side blind zone alert off, automatic high-beams off"), gear selection was unavailable and vehicle would not start. The vehicle was started after five minutes of rest with the "vehicle is not in park" error message displayed. The service adviser found codes for transmission and body control modules with multiple communication errors. The transmission control module was replaced on May 18th. On the morning of May 27th, the vehicle was brought back for cosmetic warranty repairs. The vehicle exhibited the same transmission problems after the engine was restarted at the dealer service department. The transmission control module was replaced again on May 29, 2014.

- Celebration, FL, USA

May 112014

Dart 4-cyl

As we were crossing a large bridge in New York city, the engine light came on. Within a minute after the light came on, the engine light started blinking, and the car began to run very roughly. Smoke began to come from the vents, the car began to shake and overheat. After another minute, the car lost all power and became more difficult to control. We stopped at the closest area to pull off. Chrysler roadside assistance had us wait for two hours before notifying us that our car was located 100ft shy of being able to be towed. We managed to fudge the car another 100ft, and reached a side street where we needed to wait another two hours to be towed. This was May 11th. The verdict from the local dealer is that the entire bottom end fell off after just over one year of typical use (less than 17000 miles), and the engine must be rebuilt (crankshaft, engine block, everything). We still have not received an estimated time of completion, and only estimates of when the engine will be in (over a month later) detachment or partial detachment of these components is extraordinarily dangerous, particularly at the speed that we were moving, and we were very fortunate not to be injured, or be in an accident. We were even lucky to get off of the bridge.

- Shillington, PA, USA

Dec 232013

Went to start my car in the morning pushed the clutch to the floor and it did not return, just stayed depressed against the floorboard. Took it to the dealership and they said everything is functioning as designed. Well its not! I called Chrysler customer service and they told me the clutch is only under warranty for 12000 miles. My previous 3 cars have been manual transmissions and all went well over 100000K without any clutch issues. My car now does this regularly at least once every other day. I am extremely disappointed in Dodge and thought they were "focusing on quality". the lack of concern by Dodge regarding this safety issue is downright disgusting. After speaking with the customer service rep she stated she would contact the dealership and call me tomorrow. No call, no E-mail. Then they have the nerve to send me a survey on how was my issue resolved. It wasn't that's why you got all 1's. why don't you actually stand by your product?

- Vacaville , CA, USA

Dec 262013

Dart 4-cyl

I went out in the morning to start the car and it would not go into reverse. The gear stick felt stuck and I had to have my husband come out and put the car into neutral and roll the car back so we could start it in first. This happened again one month later, only the car would not even go into first gear. We had it towed to dealer and were told we had to pay for a new clutch-it was burned out. Burned out at 18,000 miles. We paid for a new clutch, and now 4mths later, the car is doing the same thing. Problem going into reverse. Dealer can find nothing wrong with it-I am scared the clutch will burn out again-never know when this car will leave me stranded. Worst experience ever.

- Myrtle Beach, SC, USA

Apr 142014

Dart 4-cyl

I was at work(4-14-2013) getting ready to go home and started the car put it in gear car started to jerk engine light came on. I went to dealership it was closed. I called made an appointment for Tuesday 22 April, 4-15-2013 ) light went off. April 18 2013 light came back on took it to dealership they kept it over night. They said there were some computer up dates. I picked my car up 4-19-2013. On 4-22-2013 light came back on drove back to dealer ship, I ask to see the updates. Service department said Chrysler doesn't allow them to give us the codes for the updates, they did. I have owned my car seven weeks. Paid $17000 + for it.

- Elizabethtown , KY, USA

Apr 162014

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the vehicle failed to respond to deceleration attempts. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 3,500.

- Roselle, IL, USA

Jan 302014

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact stated that while stationary, smoke emitted from the front end of the vehicle and "transmission getting hot" displayed on the instrumental panel. The vehicle then stalled. The fumes from the smoke also caused the contact to have headaches. The contact took his vehicle to the dealer who, along with the manufacturer, stated that this was a normal occurrence. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure was 1500.

- Moreno Valley , CA, USA

Mar 202014

Dart 4-cyl

Brand new 2013 Dodge Dart, six speed manual transmission. Began smelling and smoking when teaching my son how to start on a hill. Smoke was coming from front right side of transmission. Smelled like a burning clutch. This occurred after a short period of time on the hill (less than five minutes). Took car back to dealership today (3-24-14), and was told there is a sticker on the transmission that burns (it was removed today, and has been removed on other Darts they have worked on for the same problem), and the smell and smoke were also coming from the clutch. They test drove the car over some hills near the dealership and were able to reproduce the same smell, but said it is likely caused by the new clutch and should be driven 1500-2000 miles before being concerned about this issue. I have never experienced clutch burning like this, especially after such a short period of time on the hill, and I've driven many manual cars/trucks over many years.

- Hiawassee, GA, USA

Nov 042013

Dart 4-cyl

After several hours of staying parked with transmission in gear (1st), vehicle would not disengage gearbox on startup. Clutch lost all pressure and the vehicle required excessive use of force to dislodge gear shifter. Vehicle was started (clutch disengaged and in neutral) and vehicle began to drive forward. Clutch/transmission remained in contact with engine causing the vehicle to continue moving forward even while in neutral. Transmission/clutch wouldn't reengage without excessive force.

- Prairie Village, KS, USA

Dec 132013

Sitting idle in drive-thru car started smoking heavily under the hood and thru the interior vents. Finally stalled. Got it restarted but it would not go into gear. After about 30 minutes, it finally went into drive and I drove it immediately to the nearest Dodge dealer. After a week, they found the dual clutches both needed replaced. Was told that I would have to put the car in N whenever sitting at an idle longer than a few seconds. (this is unacceptable to me). Was also told that I was not to 'ride' the brake. Either "be on in or off of it". (this is also unacceptable to me.) also, car revs up to ~5,000rpms before shifting from 1st to 2nd but (of course) never does it when I leave it for the dealer. Am not happy with my purchase. My dealer has been good but I will not be buying another Dodge. I buy new for safety, security and reliability and with this vehicle, I feel I have none of the 3. the lease cannot be over soon enough.

- Kokomo, IN, USA

Apr 222013

Dart 4-cyl

Parking brake would not engage 3 different times, dealer suggested it was a part failure. Another time clutch would not come up and stayed to the floor, clutch fluid leaked.

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Nov 292013

Dart 4-cyl

Owned this vehicle for 10 months and issues with engine stalling/hesitation have gotten progressively worse since my first encounter at the dealership at 13,300 miles. I first reported this issue with engine stalling/hesitation and they stated it was a spark plug/plug wire issue, (iridium spark plugs rated for 100,000 miles). After replacing the spark plug they then determined it needed a control module replaced and an engine reset for my computer system. After that it has been in a few more times over the last 3 months for the same engine stalling and hesitation issues. My engine has been "reset and the computer updated" and since my gas mileage has gotten worse as well as the stalling/hesitation issues are still there and becoming more frequent. Then my transmission started slipping as I was in D as if I had put my vehicle into N and pressed the gas pedal just revving the engine, it has done the same when I switch to put my vehicle in R. I took it back to the dealer and they couldn't duplicate the issue therefore giving them nothing to go by other than my word of mouth experience. Days after taking my vehicle home from the dealer it went out on my as I was driving on a major thoroughway at 50mph. I pressed the gas approaching an intersection and it just revved the engine, lights flashed on shifter and dash. I had to manually switch through my gears to try and get the car to go. After my husband pulled my vehicle to the nearest parking area safely I tried to start the vehicle again and go forward, it wouldn't start right away it tried to crank but wouldn't turn over when it started just the service engine light was on my dash no more errors were displayed. I did manage to take pictures with my cellphone before. I want Dodge to own up and fix this instead od putting a bandaid and sending me along. Customer care has not been helpful at all and this vehicle is not safe.

- Edgewater, FL, USA

Dec 102012

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact was driving 65 mph when the engine suddenly stalled. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer but the defect could not be duplicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact informed the manufacturer of the defect. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number 13V28000 (power train) but the vehicle was not included in the recall. The failure mileage was 200.

- Laredo, TX, USA

Oct 232013

Dart 4-cyl

Pressed in clutch pedal to start vehicle. After car started, tried to take car out of gear but it wouldn't budge. Also, the clutch peddle would not release, as it was stuck to the fully pressed position. Car began to roll as if it started to disengage but the peddle was still completely pressed in. I immediately turned the car off. I had to pull the clutch peddle up by hand to get it to disengage. Called dealer service, said they couldn't resolve the issue if they couldn't duplicate the problem. I've noticed many people with the same issue. Chrysler needs to issue a recall on this.

- Blanchard, OK, USA

Aug 242013

Dart 4-cyl

Transmission service light came on and traveled another 15 miles before transmission disconnected from engine while in drive gear. Vehicle towed to nearest Dodge dealer who determined that a module mounted on the side of the transmission was defective. Part installed 5 days later. Vehicle taken for quality check and vehicle stopped during ride and transmission light came on again. Dealer dropped transmission pan and found broken parts. Parts ordered and installed 5 days later. Vehicle taken for another check ride and light came on again. Tech service indicated that transmission computer was defective and another 5 days before part would be available. Dealer send email describing that part was not available for 6 more weeks. By this coming Monday, vehicle will have been in the shop for 26 days. Dodge customer care states they are restrained from installing a new transmission and dealer will continue to attempt all repairs. Dodge solution is unsatisfactory.

- Ames, IA, USA

Aug 012013

Dart 4-cyl

Clutch pedal does not always come all the way back up. I have to pull it up with my foot. I can tell it does not have the clutch engaged to burn it out. Just a irritating thing to have to do on a brand new car. Took it to the dealership for another issue and had them check it. They could not get it to stick. And since Chrysler system was down they didn't know what to look at. This happens and random times. This morning it happened. When I went to push the clutch down I could tell there was no resistance for a few inches. When I released the clutch it only came part way up again. Biggest frustration is the tech's can not problem solve anything with out a computer telling them what to do. I made a few suggestions on what to check but they had not clue. Since this is the first year for this car I do expect bugs in the system. However they should be prepared to problem solve this problems. I should not have to make suggestions or problem solve it myself.

- Williamstown, KY, USA

Aug 302013

When I go to shift from 1st to 2nd gear the clutch pedal stays depressed, this keeps the car in neutral and leaving it unable to deliver power to maneuver.

- Rushville , IN, USA

Mar 062013

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact stated that while driving approximately 10 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign id number: 13V238000 (power train). The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the power transmission control module needed to be reprogrammed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was repaired on three occasions but the failure continuously recurred. The approximate failure mileage was 20 and the current mileage was 22,000.

- Columbia , MO, USA