Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The first year of the new Dodge Dart had a rough start, with owners reporting a disproportionate number of engine and transmission problems.

For transmission, the main complaints are transmission failure & rough shifting. So far, average mileage for transmission failure is 25,000 miles. Not good.

For engine problems, it usually starts with the engine light coming on for any number of reasons: bad sensors, ignition coil replacement, bad wiring, faulty gas cap ... dealers are replacing various components with varying degrees of success, or telling owners they can't duplicate the issue.

2013 Dodge Dart drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Dodge Dart:

2013 Dodge Dart Owner Comments (Page 7 of 11)

Aug 082015

When I went to turn my car on, which is a manual, my clutch pedal stayed engaged and would not release and my car would not turn off. I could not turn the key to turn the car off. I had to wait a few minutes before the clutch released and I was finally able to turn my car off. When I tried again to turn my car on the clutch pedal once again stayed engaged and would not release but I was able to turn my car off the second time. And try again and again until the clutch would return after I turned the car

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jun 172014

Vehicle threw an error message on the led dashboard about servicing the transmission. Unable to place car in reverse or drive. After messing with it for a while (shutting vehicle off and turning back on, pausing for a few minutes) the vehicle would finally work again. This seemed to happen during the middle of the year and towards winter with the recall eventually taking place. (2014). I argued with the dealership to provide something for transportation since I had no other options. After arguing and finally getting a rental they offered to pay 3 days. It took them multiple days to look into the issue and they found low transmission fluid. There was a software update to take care of the recall as well. This year almost 6 months since the last incident the same issues are occurring. About two weeks ago I came across the same issues. It took a week to get an appointment with the local dealer and I had to borrow a vehicle since the car has trouble accelerating with these issues. They performed a software update and it seemed to work for a week. Today the engine wouldn't start but the cars computers turned on. After testing different steps the car finally turned on but the acceleration is clunky and doesn't shift appropriately.

- Normal, IL, USA

Aug 062015

When trying to start the car the clutch pedal will get stuck down and not engage. If this happens when driving it could cause an accident.

- Fairfield, OH, USA

Jun 012015

Intermittently, the clutch pedal had dropped to the floor when depressed and not returning without pumping the pedal prior to starting the engine. This was becoming common after the car was not in operation overnight but on 6-Aug-15 the while driving at highway speeds prior to exiting a limited access highway with the pedal depressed to the floor the engine did not disengage from the transmission or allow the shifter to be move out of gear. It required the pedal to be pulled up manually with the toe of my shoe and pumped before it actuated the clutch and allowed the car to stop. An accident was narrowly avoided on interstate 495 due to this failure. Chrysler was contacted regarding the service bulletin M37, transaxial slave valve defect and they said this is a listed issue for the car/engine but not for this VIN. Regardless of the bulletin's "commitment to safety" they would not cover any towing or repair.

- Fairhaven, MA, USA

Jul 232015

While driving down the freeway I felt a weird popping. I exited the freeway and came to a stop. When I pushed on the gas to go again, the car wouldn't respond. The check engine light and check transmission light came on. It was in drive and wouldn't go, so I put in park and turned the car off. I then turned it back on it would go into gear and I could drive, but the transmission kept slipping. I took it to a dealer and they said it just needed a software update, which they did. Less then 24 hours later it started happening again. I've only had this car for a month and now I'm starting to think this is why the previous owner traded it in.

- Stayton, OR, USA

Jan 202015

I have a 2013 Dodge Dart rallye. I bought it used in January 2015. It has the 1.4 multi air turbo with 6 spd manual transmission. My problem is just about every morning or after the car sets for a few hours when I try to start the car I push the clutch pedal in to start the car and I go to put the car in gear and it won't go in gear with my clutch pedal to the floor and the car trys to move when I try to put it in gear so I let off the clutch and it sticks half way to the floor so I have to pump it for about 2 minutes or until the car warms up just to put it in gear I did research on this and apairently alot of people with this car have been having this same problem and Chrysler wants to charge me just to take a look at it because it is out of warranty this issue really needs to be looked into.

- Toone, TN, USA

Jun 172015

2013 Dodge Dart bought new from dealer. June 17, 2015 while traveling through a parking lot a approximately 20mph axle broke pulling it from transmission. Cv knuckle/joint, tie-rod all broke. Wheel and tire turned at a 90 degree angle from car. Left a divot in concrete where everything hit ground. Visual estimate by dealer was $6,500. Nothing was hit, no curb, no pot hole, speed bump, or any other object. Police report states there was nothing in the area to hit. No other damage to vehicle, such as impact from other objects. Service manager at dealership car was taken to said there was so much damage he couldn't tell what broke first. Chrysler legal special investigations team inspected vehicle. 3 weeks later they sent me a report saying it was not a mechanical defect and my extended warranty would not repair. They insist I file with my insurance carrier. A vehicle that is 18 months old with only 39,000 miles should not fall apart like that if it doesn't strike anything. I've requested copy of report Chrysler used to make their decision.

- Gainesville, GA, USA

Jul 082015

When getting into my car in the morning or after work (any time the car has been sitting for a while), the clutch pedal goes straight to the floor and doesn't come back up. I cannot put my car into gear or even start the car. I have to pump the clutch pedal for a few minutes until I have a little pressure to even start my car. My car stalled out twice from this when entering a parking garage and I almost hit another car because of this. After driving the car for 2-3 miles the clutch seems to come back to normal pressure and I can shift fine at that point.

- Broomfield, CO, USA

Aug 012014

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to shift into reverse. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 17,000. The VIN was not available.

- Los Angeles , CA, USA

Aug 142014

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. While driving various speeds, the transmission failed to respond without warning. The vehicle was turned off. After awaiting ten minutes, the tcm had reset. The contact was able to resume normal operation. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and the tcm was replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 13,000.

- Fort Royal, VA, USA

Dec 192013

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the transmission failed to respond without warning. The vehicle was turned off and after waiting ten minutes the tcm had reset. The vehicle was able to resume normally. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis and the tcm was replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 200.

- Fort Royal, VA, USA

Jun 192015

Stop pulling just about got ran over on I65 4 times Dodge has it at dealer going to reprogra tcm but what I have read on this it will not fix problem will last till car it not warranty then it is mine

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Jan 012015

Car consumes 1qt of oil every 1000 miles. The valvetrain is hydraulic and when low the car stutters and stalls.

- Fairfield, OH, USA

May 062014

Turbo malfunctioned and car would decelerate on hills. Clutch pedal kept getting stuck in position and would not disengage.

- Bay Shore, NY, USA

Jun 092015

I depressed the clutch to start the engine and when it started the car began to move even though the clutch pedal was fully depressed. I had to turn the engine off to stop the car from moving and the clutch pedal remained on the floor. After a few more attempts it started to work correctly. It now does this every time it is parked for a few hours. Very dangerous defect that needs to be recalled by Chrysler.

- Barbourville, KY, USA

Apr 012014

I went and attempted to start the car. Car would not start. It was like the clutch would not engage. Released the clutch and re-engaged, and it started. During shifts, it didnt want to go into 3 or 6th gears. It was like the clutch is not engaging once again. Took the car back to where I purchased it, performance Dodge, and they told me that Chrysler knows of the issue but Chrysler star will not fix it. I asked how can they know that the clutch has issues, but they are not going to fix it. The employee informed me that they all are like this. Chrysler knows of the clutch issues due to all the complaints, but they still risk the lives of the individuals who purchased the vehicle by not replacing the clutch. I have also had issues with my windows not rolling up or down and the radio keeps resetting itself. They do updates, but it does not fix the radio issue. The last time I took it for the update, the update wouldnt even load to fix the issue. How can a company know of issues but refuse to fix them?

- Columbus, OH, USA

Sep 102014

Car sounds like struts and shocks are already going out. Car lunges forward sometimes when stopped. It changes rom auto transmission to manual transmission on its own which causes the car to stall service people just look at you like your a idiot when you complain about issues and the loud popping noise is horrible.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Jun 012015

2013 Dart 2.0 liter, 6 speed manual trans. Clutch pedal goes to floor with no resistance and will not disengage clutch. Pulling the pedal up with foot and pumping it restores function until the car is parked at which time, the system bleeds down again and the pedal goes to the floor without disengaging the clutch. Problem is markedly worse in hot weather. Response from Chrysler on rectification action is awaiting following inquiry by myself.

- Terryville, CT, USA

Jun 082015

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. While reversing out of a parking lot at 5 mph, the clutch failed to shift out of reverse to go into first gear. The failure recurred once. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 24,000.

- Church Hill, TN, USA

Jan 152013

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. While driving at approximately 50 mph, the clutch pedal was depressed and failed to respond without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the master slave cylinder needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 1,200.

- Lyle, WA, USA