CarComplaints.com Notes: The first year of the new Dodge Dart had a rough start, with owners reporting a disproportionate number of engine and transmission problems.

For transmission, the main complaints are transmission failure & rough shifting. So far, average mileage for transmission failure is 25,000 miles. Not good.

For engine problems, it usually starts with the engine light coming on for any number of reasons: bad sensors, ignition coil replacement, bad wiring, faulty gas cap ... dealers are replacing various components with varying degrees of success, or telling owners they can't duplicate the issue.

2013 Dodge Dart drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Dodge Dart:

2013 Dodge Dart Owner Comments (Page 7 of 12)

Aug 212015

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. While driving approximately 60 mph, the brake pedal was depressed but the vehicle did not decelerate. The rpms decreased slowly and the vehicle was shifted into neutral, but the rpms remained at 3,000. The contact turned the ignition to the off position to control the vehicle and the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the shifter control module loss communication and the shifter cable was fractured and needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 79,000.

- Ft. Pierce, FL, USA

Aug 112015

Dart

This has been an ongoing-intermittent problem/issue. The hydraulic clutch system (manual trans) will lose pressure which means that the clutch pedal will go to the floor and I can't shift the transmission. At times it is only doing this first thing in the morning but will get pressure after "pumping it up" a few times. It will lose pressure after driving for a period of 15-20 minutes meaning that when coming to a stop I am unable to downshift. Once stopped, when it has lost pressure, if you leave the transmission in first gear, or reverse, it will move when the ignition key is put into the start mode when the clutch pedal is fully depressed! there have never been any fluid leaks or signs that the level has gone down. I have seen on a Dodge Dart owners website that this is a problem that others have had as well.

- Richmond, IN, USA

Aug 272015

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact stated that the gear shifter failed to engage into the park position without warning. As a result, the vehicle rolled in reverse independently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V124000 (parking brake). The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Seabrook, TX, USA

Jun 182015

Dart

When trying to start the car, the clutch pedal will get stuck down and not engage intermittently. The clutch pedal drops to the floor when depressed and not returning without pumping the pedal prior to starting the engine. This is becoming common after the car is not in operation overnight

- San Clemente, CA, USA

Jul 282015

Dart

It had rained and I was maneuvering my automatic transmission 2013 Dodge Dart out of a tight spot, when placing in reverse and breaking to change to forward, the engine shook and felt like it was going to stall out. I revved the engine to keep it from stalling. There is vibration that you can feel when sitting at a light, possibly a rough idle. U-connect is not working. When more than one thing is on, such as radio or ac, and you go to open window, you can feel a power drain. I am not sure if all these thing have to do with electrical, power-train or both.

- Erlanger, KY, USA

Aug 082015

Dart

When I went to turn my car on, which is a manual, my clutch pedal stayed engaged and would not release and my car would not turn off. I could not turn the key to turn the car off. I had to wait a few minutes before the clutch released and I was finally able to turn my car off. When I tried again to turn my car on the clutch pedal once again stayed engaged and would not release but I was able to turn my car off the second time. And try again and again until the clutch would return after I turned the car

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jun 172014

Dart

Vehicle threw an error message on the led dashboard about servicing the transmission. Unable to place car in reverse or drive. After messing with it for a while (shutting vehicle off and turning back on, pausing for a few minutes) the vehicle would finally work again. This seemed to happen during the middle of the year and towards winter with the recall eventually taking place. (2014). I argued with the dealership to provide something for transportation since I had no other options. After arguing and finally getting a rental they offered to pay 3 days. It took them multiple days to look into the issue and they found low transmission fluid. There was a software update to take care of the recall as well. This year almost 6 months since the last incident the same issues are occurring. About two weeks ago I came across the same issues. It took a week to get an appointment with the local dealer and I had to borrow a vehicle since the car has trouble accelerating with these issues. They performed a software update and it seemed to work for a week. Today the engine wouldn't start but the cars computers turned on. After testing different steps the car finally turned on but the acceleration is clunky and doesn't shift appropriately.

- Normal, IL, USA

Aug 062015

Dart

When trying to start the car the clutch pedal will get stuck down and not engage. If this happens when driving it could cause an accident.

- Fairfield, OH, USA

Jun 012015

Dart

Intermittently, the clutch pedal had dropped to the floor when depressed and not returning without pumping the pedal prior to starting the engine. This was becoming common after the car was not in operation overnight but on 6-Aug-15 the while driving at highway speeds prior to exiting a limited access highway with the pedal depressed to the floor the engine did not disengage from the transmission or allow the shifter to be move out of gear. It required the pedal to be pulled up manually with the toe of my shoe and pumped before it actuated the clutch and allowed the car to stop. An accident was narrowly avoided on interstate 495 due to this failure. Chrysler was contacted regarding the service bulletin M37, transaxial slave valve defect and they said this is a listed issue for the car/engine but not for this VIN. Regardless of the bulletin's "commitment to safety" they would not cover any towing or repair.

- Fairhaven, MA, USA

Jul 232015

Dart

While driving down the freeway I felt a weird popping. I exited the freeway and came to a stop. When I pushed on the gas to go again, the car wouldn't respond. The check engine light and check transmission light came on. It was in drive and wouldn't go, so I put in park and turned the car off. I then turned it back on it would go into gear and I could drive, but the transmission kept slipping. I took it to a dealer and they said it just needed a software update, which they did. Less then 24 hours later it started happening again. I've only had this car for a month and now I'm starting to think this is why the previous owner traded it in.

- Stayton, OR, USA

Jan 202015

Dart

I have a 2013 Dodge Dart rallye. I bought it used in January 2015. It has the 1.4 multi air turbo with 6 spd manual transmission. My problem is just about every morning or after the car sets for a few hours when I try to start the car I push the clutch pedal in to start the car and I go to put the car in gear and it won't go in gear with my clutch pedal to the floor and the car trys to move when I try to put it in gear so I let off the clutch and it sticks half way to the floor so I have to pump it for about 2 minutes or until the car warms up just to put it in gear I did research on this and apairently alot of people with this car have been having this same problem and Chrysler wants to charge me just to take a look at it because it is out of warranty this issue really needs to be looked into.

- Toone, TN, USA

Jun 172015

Dart

2013 Dodge Dart bought new from dealer. June 17, 2015 while traveling through a parking lot a approximately 20mph axle broke pulling it from transmission. Cv knuckle/joint, tie-rod all broke. Wheel and tire turned at a 90 degree angle from car. Left a divot in concrete where everything hit ground. Visual estimate by dealer was $6,500. Nothing was hit, no curb, no pot hole, speed bump, or any other object. Police report states there was nothing in the area to hit. No other damage to vehicle, such as impact from other objects. Service manager at dealership car was taken to said there was so much damage he couldn't tell what broke first. Chrysler legal special investigations team inspected vehicle. 3 weeks later they sent me a report saying it was not a mechanical defect and my extended warranty would not repair. They insist I file with my insurance carrier. A vehicle that is 18 months old with only 39,000 miles should not fall apart like that if it doesn't strike anything. I've requested copy of report Chrysler used to make their decision.

- Gainesville, GA, USA

Jul 082015

Dart

When getting into my car in the morning or after work (any time the car has been sitting for a while), the clutch pedal goes straight to the floor and doesn't come back up. I cannot put my car into gear or even start the car. I have to pump the clutch pedal for a few minutes until I have a little pressure to even start my car. My car stalled out twice from this when entering a parking garage and I almost hit another car because of this. After driving the car for 2-3 miles the clutch seems to come back to normal pressure and I can shift fine at that point.

- Broomfield, CO, USA

Aug 012014

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to shift into reverse. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 17,000. The VIN was not available.

- Los Angeles , CA, USA

Aug 142014

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. While driving various speeds, the transmission failed to respond without warning. The vehicle was turned off. After awaiting ten minutes, the tcm had reset. The contact was able to resume normal operation. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and the tcm was replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 13,000.

- Fort Royal, VA, USA

Dec 192013

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the transmission failed to respond without warning. The vehicle was turned off and after waiting ten minutes the tcm had reset. The vehicle was able to resume normally. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis and the tcm was replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 200.

- Fort Royal, VA, USA

Jun 192015

Dart

Stop pulling just about got ran over on I65 4 times Dodge has it at dealer going to reprogra tcm but what I have read on this it will not fix problem will last till car it not warranty then it is mine

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Jan 012015

Dart

Car consumes 1qt of oil every 1000 miles. The valvetrain is hydraulic and when low the car stutters and stalls.

- Fairfield, OH, USA

May 062014

Dart

Turbo malfunctioned and car would decelerate on hills. Clutch pedal kept getting stuck in position and would not disengage.

- Bay Shore, NY, USA

Jun 092015

Dart

I depressed the clutch to start the engine and when it started the car began to move even though the clutch pedal was fully depressed. I had to turn the engine off to stop the car from moving and the clutch pedal remained on the floor. After a few more attempts it started to work correctly. It now does this every time it is parked for a few hours. Very dangerous defect that needs to be recalled by Chrysler.

- Barbourville, KY, USA