CarComplaints.com Notes: The first year of the new Dodge Dart had a rough start, with owners reporting a disproportionate number of engine and transmission problems.

For transmission, the main complaints are transmission failure & rough shifting. So far, average mileage for transmission failure is 25,000 miles. Not good.

For engine problems, it usually starts with the engine light coming on for any number of reasons: bad sensors, ignition coil replacement, bad wiring, faulty gas cap ... dealers are replacing various components with varying degrees of success, or telling owners they can't duplicate the issue.

2013 Dodge Dart drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Dodge Dart:

2013 Dodge Dart Owner Comments (Page 8 of 12)

Aug 142014

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. While driving various speeds, the transmission failed to respond without warning. The vehicle was turned off. After awaiting ten minutes, the tcm had reset. The contact was able to resume normal operation. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and the tcm was replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 13,000.

- Fort Royal, VA, USA

Dec 192013

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the transmission failed to respond without warning. The vehicle was turned off and after waiting ten minutes the tcm had reset. The vehicle was able to resume normally. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis and the tcm was replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 200.

- Fort Royal, VA, USA

Jun 192015

Dart

Stop pulling just about got ran over on I65 4 times Dodge has it at dealer going to reprogra tcm but what I have read on this it will not fix problem will last till car it not warranty then it is mine

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Jan 012015

Dart

Car consumes 1qt of oil every 1000 miles. The valvetrain is hydraulic and when low the car stutters and stalls.

- Fairfield, OH, USA

May 062014

Dart

Turbo malfunctioned and car would decelerate on hills. Clutch pedal kept getting stuck in position and would not disengage.

- Bay Shore, NY, USA

Jun 092015

Dart

I depressed the clutch to start the engine and when it started the car began to move even though the clutch pedal was fully depressed. I had to turn the engine off to stop the car from moving and the clutch pedal remained on the floor. After a few more attempts it started to work correctly. It now does this every time it is parked for a few hours. Very dangerous defect that needs to be recalled by Chrysler.

- Barbourville, KY, USA

Apr 012014

Dart

I went and attempted to start the car. Car would not start. It was like the clutch would not engage. Released the clutch and re-engaged, and it started. During shifts, it didnt want to go into 3 or 6th gears. It was like the clutch is not engaging once again. Took the car back to where I purchased it, performance Dodge, and they told me that Chrysler knows of the issue but Chrysler star will not fix it. I asked how can they know that the clutch has issues, but they are not going to fix it. The employee informed me that they all are like this. Chrysler knows of the clutch issues due to all the complaints, but they still risk the lives of the individuals who purchased the vehicle by not replacing the clutch. I have also had issues with my windows not rolling up or down and the radio keeps resetting itself. They do updates, but it does not fix the radio issue. The last time I took it for the update, the update wouldnt even load to fix the issue. How can a company know of issues but refuse to fix them?

- Columbus, OH, USA

Sep 102014

Dart

Car sounds like struts and shocks are already going out. Car lunges forward sometimes when stopped. It changes rom auto transmission to manual transmission on its own which causes the car to stall service people just look at you like your a idiot when you complain about issues and the loud popping noise is horrible.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Jun 012015

Dart

2013 Dart 2.0 liter, 6 speed manual trans. Clutch pedal goes to floor with no resistance and will not disengage clutch. Pulling the pedal up with foot and pumping it restores function until the car is parked at which time, the system bleeds down again and the pedal goes to the floor without disengaging the clutch. Problem is markedly worse in hot weather. Response from Chrysler on rectification action is awaiting following inquiry by myself.

- Terryville, CT, USA

Jun 082015

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. While reversing out of a parking lot at 5 mph, the clutch failed to shift out of reverse to go into first gear. The failure recurred once. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 24,000.

- Church Hill, TN, USA

Jan 152013

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. While driving at approximately 50 mph, the clutch pedal was depressed and failed to respond without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the master slave cylinder needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 1,200.

- Lyle, WA, USA

Apr 232015

Dart

When first started on a cool or cold morning, the clutch on the 2013 Dodge Dart will not have any pressure and stick to the floor. The clutch peddle would have to be physically pulled up from the floor and pumped to develop any peddle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer that could not replicate the problem nor would make any indication to make the repair. The next week (around May 18, 2015), the manual transmission was parked in first gear and when the clutch was depressed, there was little to no peddle. The car started and began to lunge forward and stopped. The clutch almost stuck to the floor.. other times, the car is parked in neutral and the car will not allow the driver to shift into gear. There is fluid visible on top of the transmission which is suspected by the owner to be from the hydraulic clutch. Chrysler is aware of this problem and are being sued in the state of California over other claims. This is a safety issue with these cars and the volume of complaints for the same issue is indicative of a larger problem.

- Washington, MO, USA

May 162015

Dart

Engine light came on while driving noticed a failure in power when stepping on the gas felt no go with the turbo. Stopped to have vehicle checked at advance auto diagnostic indicator stated turbo failure. Vehicle had not reached 36000 miles.

- Germantown, MD, USA

Mar 022015

Dart

Clutch pedal depressed and would not return to normal position. Pressing down on clutch pedal would not disengage the clutch from the flywheel so continued to attempt to move forward requiring foot more strongly on the brakes. This wasn't the only time, and seems to occur after the vehicle has been sitting a few hours. Its getting frequent enough that I'm going to try to trade the vehicle in. I don't trust Chrysler/Dodge products any more and their quality is going down hill with their drive by wire vehicles. For the record, 90% of my mileage is all highway and I don't "pop" the clutch to peal out at stop lights and the like. Searches of the internet are finding more and more posts with clutch and transmission problems.

- Strasburg, VA, USA

May 132015

Dart

I went to get in my car to go to work and when I started my car the clutch pedal went to the floor and would not come back up. The vehicle got stuck in first gear untill I manually bent down and pulled the clutch pedal up and turned the car off several times. When I sopke to Dodge they acted like they had never heard of this issue (which I know is not true from various forums and complaints ive seen). Now I am worried about the saftey of the car becasue if this happens while im on the road and not parked I or someone could get seriously injured. The Dodge dealer I spoke with said to fix the issue I would have to replace the master cylinder, slave cylinder, and replace the clutch. I dont feel I should have to worry about this there should be a recall issued.

- Woodbridge , VA, USA

Feb 022015

Dart 4-cyl

I always let my car warm up, especially when it's cold. The weather started to get better and twice I stopped at a red light and the car almost stalled. I had to put the car in neutral and pump the gas to stop it from stalling completely. I know it's not the gas because it happened within two different time periods. At the time the temp was in the low 30's. I also notice when it's very cold the car makes a screech when it's started. Although there is a power train recall (N32) my VIN has not been addressed. I do not want to drive down the street and stall with my two-year-old in it.

- Cold Brook, NY, USA

Jan 202015

Dart 4-cyl

Clutch went completely to the floor and had to veer car into a terrain in order to avoid being run over by dump truck directly behind. There was no warning and car is fairly new. (was purchased new). Quick investigation, and there is a law suit with Chrysler indicating they are aware of this defect but their dealerships are not and refused to repair without charging. Insisted I take car to another place that really works on Dodge ("?"). this lost of gear shifting is going to get someone killed! unfortunately it is hard to reach me by telephone but I would really like to have some details as to how to handle this issue. I had an independent dealer "who really works on Dodge" to repair and they confirmed the clutch was defective and caused it to crash and burn. I'm not the only one who has experienced this.

- Fayetteville, GA, USA

Mar 122015

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. While driving approximately 40 mph and switching gears, the vehicle violently jerked backwards and the transmission service warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician stated that the vehicle was operating as designed. The failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 12,000.

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Jan 062015

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. While driving at 65 mph, the vehicle shifted into neutral without warning and caused the vehicle to decelerate. The failure recurred twice. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 27,000.

- Manteca, CA, USA

Jan 072013

Dart

I purchased a new Dart, 2013 limited 1.4 turbo (manual) and when I say new, it had to be built because there were't any on the lots yet. I always felt the car lacked power but assumed it was just the way the car was. Getting out of 1st gear was really tough. Around 6K, after a long road trip, I started to hear a grinding noise when cutting the wheel and throttling in 1st gear or reverse, basically parallel parking. I brought the car to the dealer for its 1st major tune up and mentioned it and they said the didn't hear the noise ( I also mentioned the airbag light would not go away) the air bag light was gone but soon to return. At 9K, I brought the car in again for the same issues! air bag light gone (soon to return) but they said they didn't hear the noise. At 19K I was fuming and got them to go on a test drive with me and they heard they noise! they tried to say it was the ca intake I put in, but I assured them it wasn't and gave them the oem part to prove them wrong. Low and behold after a week they come back with "clutch bearings"! I got the car back and it feels like A- brand new car!! it's amazing! it has power, pick up, the clutch is much easier to work and no noise! I was startled by the power! this is the car I thought I was buying. I have no idea how much gas economy I've wasted after 19K, but I'm just glad to finally have this issue resolved! I really hope this helps those out there so if you have a manual shift and no power/pick-up out of 1st, insist they check the clutch bearings! now let's hope the airbag light doesn't come back on.

- Brockton, MA, USA