1999 Dodge Durango brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Dodge Durango:

1999 Dodge Durango Owner Comments

Oct 222015

Durango LL 5.9L

I work in the home health industry and legal field...transporting folks is part of the work... I am not comfortable driving this vehicle I just purchased used when the brakes are not functioning... I need to go up to the highway and take a pic of two sets of screech marks from my braking.... BEFORE I would have gone into highway traffic... Whew - good thing I was trained how to race and the alternatives to when systems fail...

If I was smart I would sue the Dodge folks for selling factory defective vehicles... Some of my clients are RETIRED officials - cough cough.... So let's see Dodge address the of SAFETY....

- , Houston, AK, USA

May 252009

Durango Magnum

well when i bought the vehicle i had them check the Durango out and was told the brakes were fine, after 4 months of driving i had to panic stop it and all i got was a crap load of noise and the pedal was real soft and almost on the floor. i adjusted up the rear brakes and it felt a little better but i still couldn't stop the vehicle in a hurry and almost took out an old ladies car i still had the brakes to the floor and swerved to the right to avoid her. well i went and checked the front pads and there were hardly any left, i bought new pads and when i went to put them in i had to buy new tools to take the friggin bolts out do to bad judgment from what ever mechanic screwed it up with 2 different sizes on one side. once those pads get hot there is no stopping it and i also had a severe thumping in the drivers side front hub. i was told that it could be the antilock mechanism is in the front hubs very stupid place to put that in. still have issues with the brakes and i HATE ABS systems because they do not stop at close range panic stops. you will definitely hit the vehicle in front of you and people don't understand that at all because the manufactures do not say that because people would not BUY THESE GARBAGE BUCKETS AT ALL. I WISH I HAD NOT TRADED THE 89 BUICK LESABRE ESTATE WAGON. THAT HAD POWER BRAKES WITHOUT THE ABS. i believe they are the best system in the world and i stopped one time in the heat from 65 to full stop in 20 feet and the Chevy pickup behind me hit the back of my wagon because of the friggin abs brakes

- , Brockton, MA, USA

May 242007

Durango SLT 5.2L V8

I have a 1999 Dodge Durango w/ 5.2L V8 4X4. I have just replaced the rotors, calipers, and the pads in the front. And in the back I have just replaced the shoes and wheel cylinders. And still the pedal goes to the floor when I push it. This truck goes though pads like crazy.

- , Tulsa, OK, USA