- September 10: Dodge Grand Caravan Stalling Engines Get Look-See From Feds
- September 2: Dodge Dart Transmission Class-Action Lawsuit Filed in California
- August 28: Judge Says Chrysler TIPM Class-Action Lawsuit Can Move Forward
- September 3: Chrysler Wants Dodge Ram Tie-Rod Lawsuit Dismissed
- August 22: When Will Chrysler Do Something About Defective TIPMs?
2004 Dodge Durango
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The second generation Durango was introduced in 2004 and instantly came under fire for, well, catching on fire.
From 2004-2006 electrical overloading in the driver's side instrument panel caused numerous reports of interior fires. The interior infernos became so commonplace that Chrysler eventually issued a recall.
The problems didn't stop there, however. Owners of the recalled vehicles complained about being treated unfairly and given take-it-or-leave-it low ball settlement offers. "They offered me $2000 under NADA retail as a settlement," said one owner, "and have been rude and hostile to deal with." Nothing says awesome service like treating your customers rudely after their cars have caught on fire.
Have we mentioned all the reports of complete engine failure due to oil sludge?
Worst 2004 Durango Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- engine problems160NHTSA complaints: 444
- electrical problems75NHTSA complaints: 162
- body / paint problems11NHTSA complaints: 20
- cooling system problems11NHTSA complaints: 7
- exterior accessories problems10NHTSA complaints: 11
- steering problems9NHTSA complaints: 22
- brakes problems8NHTSA complaints: 26
- interior accessories problems3NHTSA complaints: 65
- fuel system problems3NHTSA complaints: 14
- transmission problems3NHTSA complaints: 31
- windows / windshield problems3NHTSA complaints: 9
- lights problems2NHTSA complaints: 13
- wheels / hubs problems2NHTSA complaints: 13
- AC / heater problems1NHTSA complaints: 4
- exhaust system problems1NHTSA complaints: 10
- suspension problems1NHTSA complaints: 17
- seat belts / air bags problemsNHTSA: 35
- drivetrain problemsNHTSA: 35
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 6
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Dodge Durango Model Years
Curious how the 2004 Durango compares to other years?
Check out our Dodge Durango overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Durango.