- June 19: Dodge Dart Transmission Lawsuit Won't Be Dismissed news | 9 days ago
- June 14: Chrysler Recalls Dodge Grand Caravans Over Airbag Problems recalls | 14 days ago
- May 7: Dodge Ram Emissions Lawsuit Should Be Dismissed, Chrysler Says news | 52 days ago
- April 25: Dodge Dart Clutch Lawsuit Should be Dismissed, Says Chrysler news | 64 days ago
- April 24: Lawsuit: Chrysler Gear Shift Confusing and Dangerous news | 65 days ago
2004 Dodge Durango
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The second generation Durango was introduced in 2004 and instantly came under fire for, well, catching on fire.
From 2004-2006 electrical overloading in the driver's side instrument panel caused numerous reports of interior fires. The interior infernos became so commonplace that Chrysler eventually issued a recall.
The problems didn't stop there, however. Owners of the recalled vehicles complained about being treated unfairly and given take-it-or-leave-it low ball settlement offers. "They offered me $2000 under NADA retail as a settlement," said one owner, "and have been rude and hostile to deal with." Nothing says awesome service like treating your customers rudely after their cars have caught on fire.
Have we mentioned all the reports of complete engine failure due to oil sludge?
Worst 2004 Durango Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- engine problems233NHTSA complaints: 571
- exterior accessories problems41NHTSA complaints: 13
- electrical problems28NHTSA complaints: 189
- body / paint problems19NHTSA complaints: 31
- interior accessories problems17NHTSA complaints: 69
- cooling system problems11NHTSA complaints: 7
- brakes problems8NHTSA complaints: 34
- drivetrain problems7NHTSA complaints: 56
- steering problems6NHTSA complaints: 27
- suspension problems5NHTSA complaints: 18
- fuel system problems4NHTSA complaints: 23
- lights problems4NHTSA complaints: 17
- AC / heater problems3NHTSA complaints: 4
- windows / windshield problems3NHTSA complaints: 9
- exhaust system problems1NHTSA complaints: 10
- wheels / hubs problems1NHTSA complaints: 14
- seat belts / air bags problemsNHTSA: 127
- transmission problemsNHTSA: 31
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 12
Stay Up to Date
Compare Dodge Durango Model Years
Curious how the 2004 Durango compares to other years?
Check out our Dodge Durango overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Durango.