- December 19: FCA US Recalls 3.3 Million Vehicles To Repair Takata Airbags
- December 18: Over 257,000 Model Year 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Trucks Recalled
- December 3: Chrysler Recalls Vans and SUVs To Repair Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems
- November 16: Chrysler TIPM Lawsuit Alleges Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep Vehicles Stall
- October 26: Government Looks At Dodge Ram Tie-Rod Recall Process
2004 Dodge Durango
CarComplaints.com Notes: The second generation Durango was introduced in 2004 and instantly came under fire for, well, catching on fire.
From 2004-2006 electrical overloading in the driver's side instrument panel caused numerous reports of interior fires. The interior infernos became so commonplace that Chrysler eventually issued a recall.
The problems didn't stop there, however. Owners of the recalled vehicles complained about being treated unfairly and given take-it-or-leave-it low ball settlement offers. "They offered me $2000 under NADA retail as a settlement," said one owner, "and have been rude and hostile to deal with." Nothing says awesome service like treating your customers rudely after their cars have caught on fire.
Have we mentioned all the reports of complete engine failure due to oil sludge?
Worst 2004 Durango engine Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- engine failure103
- engine failure due to oil sludge26
- engine stalls without warning23
- check engine light is on9
- engine noise5
- engine misfiring4
- vehicle stalls in heavy rain or car wash4
- every time it rains hard, car has issues idling2
- engine surges1
- engine turns over but won't start with wire burning smell1
- engine won't shut off after ignition turned off1
- exhaust bolts broken1
- long crank times1
- moisture under oil filler cap1
- white smoke and unburnt oil out exhaust1
- NHTSA: Engine212
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling152
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine76
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control31
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Gasoline7
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Accelerator Pedal3
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Cables3
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Cruise Control3
Stay Up to Date
Compare Dodge Durango Model Years
Curious how the 2004 Durango compares to other years?
Check out our Dodge Durango overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Durango.