- November 2: Chrysler Valve Stem Lawsuit Alleges Metal Stems Corrode
- October 29: Chrysler Recalls 560,000 SUVs For Airbag and Stability Problems
- September 20: Chrysler Agrees to Settle Dodge and Jeep TIPM Lawsuit
- September 15: Dodge Darts Recalled After Transmissions Magically Shift Into Neutral
- September 1: Fiat Chrysler Releases Buyback and Incentive Details
2004 Dodge Durango
CarComplaints.com Notes: The second generation Durango was introduced in 2004 and instantly came under fire for, well, catching on fire.
From 2004-2006 electrical overloading in the driver's side instrument panel caused numerous reports of interior fires. The interior infernos became so commonplace that Chrysler eventually issued a recall.
The problems didn't stop there, however. Owners of the recalled vehicles complained about being treated unfairly and given take-it-or-leave-it low ball settlement offers. "They offered me $2000 under NADA retail as a settlement," said one owner, "and have been rude and hostile to deal with." Nothing says awesome service like treating your customers rudely after their cars have caught on fire.
Have we mentioned all the reports of complete engine failure due to oil sludge?
Worst 2004 Durango engine Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- engine failure121
- engine failure due to oil sludge26
- engine stalls without warning24
- check engine light is on9
- engine noise6
- rod bent, engine blown6
- engine misfiring5
- every time it rains hard, car has issues idling4
- vehicle stalls in heavy rain or car wash4
- engine shakes and dies when it rains2
- engine surges2
- engine turns over but won't start with wire burning smell1
- engine won't shut off after ignition turned off1
- exhaust bolts broken1
- long crank times1
- moisture under oil filler cap1
- white smoke and unburnt oil out exhaust1
- NHTSA: Engine250
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling153
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine76
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control32
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Gasoline7
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Accelerator Pedal3
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Cables3
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Cruise Control3
Stay Up to Date
Compare Dodge Durango Model Years
Curious how the 2004 Durango compares to other years?
Check out our Dodge Durango overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Durango.