Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The second generation Durango was introduced in 2004 and instantly came under fire for, well, catching on fire.

The problems didn't stop there, however. Owners of the recalled vehicles complained about being treated unfairly and given take-it-or-leave-it low ball settlement offers. "They offered me $2000 under NADA retail as a settlement," said one owner, "and have been rude and hostile to deal with." Nothing says awesome service like treating your customers rudely after their cars have caught on fire.

Have we mentioned all the reports of complete engine failure due to oil sludge?

2. i am just going to seal the cowl with rtv (1 reports)
  3. reset computer (1 reports)
2004 Dodge Durango engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Durango:

2004 Dodge Durango Owner Comments

Sep 182014

Durango Hemi 5.7L

When it rains my truck shakes and shut down while I'm driving, its scary and a pain, I'm driving and it cuts off in front of trucks, cars, etc. very scary

- , Detroit, MI, USA

Jul 072015

Durango Limited 5.7L Hemi

I bought this truck 2 years ago (from the dealer $5000-$6000 cash) and I've kept regular maintenance (oil change, tune-up, had breaks and rotors changed, new battery) up. But about 3 months after driving my 04 Durango it started acting funny putting like it was gonna cut off, I had it put on a diagnostic machine and nothing came up.

It happened again a few days later ( it was then I remembered it was raining the last time it happened and now it was also raining). I called the dealer and asked what he thought.He told me to come and get it checked again. I didn't go back to the dealer as it was to far from my home and I didn't want the car to stall. So I drove it back to the shop and had it checked again on the diagnostic machine, nothing!!! Okay so I google it and see others saying they're having this issue and can't find the problem! So now I'm thinking Dodge has an unaddressed issue.So now I have to try to avoid driving while it's raining? In an ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE??? REALLY???!!! DODGE NEEDS TO FIX THIS!!!!

- , Jackson, MI, USA

Oct 202014

Durango lx

Took the car to mechanic who ran a hose on it and tried other things, could not find the source of the problem.

- , Altoona, FL, USA

Mar 012015

Durango SLT Hemi

Living in Los Angeles, we rarely get heavy rain storms, but each time it rains heavy, I have had serious issues with the truck. The radio will play without the key. Rain leaks thru the sunroof and water gets down under the hood and shorts out the computer. I have spent $$$ each time this happens and I believe it is a serious malfunction with this year/model.

- , Los Angeles, CA, USA

Oct 012014

Durango Hemi V8

When it rains, my truck shakes and dies at idle or when stopped. It has only went completely dead on me once, but when it rains it shakes like a lawn mower, and sputters. I took it to the shop yesterday, and the mechanic could not find anything wrong with it, and wanted to keep it over night. He could not believe that it only happens in the rain, and that the check engine light does not come on. I knew he would not be able to fix a problem he could not find, plus I had children that needed to be picked up, so I took Christine home. This time it only cost me a days work, and $70 for a diagnostics test.

This is my 2nd Dodge Durango, the first one, the transmission went bad, and this one, only runs when it is dry. HELP!!

Thank you!

- , Dallas, TX, USA

Oct 182013

Durango Limited 5.7L

Standard story. Bought from a Dodge dealer who said they made sure all factory recall issues were taken care of. It died when I took it to a carwash, but not so bad in the rain....unless I plow through the puddles (I will never really grow up!). My plan is to just use silicone or any sealer and redirect the flow of the water.

- , Des Moines, IA, USA

Jul 152012

I purchased my Durango around Oct 2011 and I fell in love, but after a couple of months I realized it stalls every time it rained and because I am in the military I have to travel a lot so this was very inconvenient. One afternoon July 2012, I was traveling on a two lane road while it was raining and of course the truck started acting up. After about 15 minutes of driving, it did its final stall and I lost control of the vehicle and my truck was totaled. This could have been worse but wasn't and I'm grateful for that but prior to this I did take the truck in and was told they couldn't find anything wrong.

I did not complain when it happened because my medical bills are being handled but I would like something to come from my incident and this complaint.

- , Fort Gordon, GA, USA

May 202013

Durango Limited 5.7L

Our Durango has stalled in the car wash twice and now once during a heavy rain. It normally starts up again and runs rough. It has never left us stranded, however no one seems to know what the fix is.

- , Springfield, MO, USA

Sep 122011

Durango SLT 5.7L

engine locked up at 73,220 miles,tore down engine firing order #7 rod was broken.contacted chrysler they would not stand behind their product,this is in my opinion a factory defect,that should be taken care of by chrysler corp.This not only happened to me but a lot of other dodge hemi owners also.Check out 2004 dodge durango complaints.fowler wva.

- , Beaver, WVA, USA

Mar 112011

Durango Hemi

I purchased my used 2004 Dodge Durango Hemi in February of 2011. I first noticed the problem when I took my car through a self serve car wash and it stalled as I put it in drive to leave. It started right up and I didn't have any problems until my husband and I went through another car wash and my durango stalled again. This time my husband had to literally push the vehicle out of the car wash. No more car washes for me. I didn't have any further problems until August 2011 when it stalled in the middle of a heavy down pour on a major interstate during rush hour. I noticed how heavy the truck started to feel, that is when I realized the truck was no longer running and had to coast into the middle median. After calling AAA a tow truck came and towed me and my vehicle home. It started right up after all of that. To this day anytime it rains hard and I am out and about it will stall. I just coast to the safest spot and wait for the rains to cease. I am afraid to take it to a dealer for fear of being ripped off of money I don't have. This is not only dangerous, but embarrassing as well. I have to plan my day based on the rain, I am constantly looking out the window, at the clock and praying that I get off before the rain starts so I can make it home. If there is anyone out there who is having the same problem with driving in the rain and have had your vehicle repaired, please let me know what you did. Thank you!

- , Jacksonville, FL, USA

Mar 062012

Durango V8 Hemi

Every time it rains hard the truck has idle issues it is as if it wants to shut off. Then the check engine light comes on or the electronic body throttle light comes on.Tried to tape up the large electrical connector under the hood, no help.

- , Fayetteville, NC, USA