Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The second generation Durango was introduced in 2004 and instantly came under fire for, well, catching on fire.

The problems didn't stop there, however. Owners of the recalled vehicles complained about being treated unfairly and given take-it-or-leave-it low ball settlement offers. "They offered me $2000 under NADA retail as a settlement," said one owner, "and have been rude and hostile to deal with." Nothing says awesome service like treating your customers rudely after their cars have caught on fire.

Have we mentioned all the reports of complete engine failure due to oil sludge?

2004 Dodge Durango engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Durango:

2004 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 052015

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. While driving 45 mph, the vehicle suddenly accelerated without warning. In addition, the brakes failed when depressed. The gear shift had to be shifted into neutral to regain control. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,085.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

May 262014

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that the vehicle would independently accelerate (surge forward) when the brake pedal was depressed. The contact stated that the vehicle would have to be shifted into neutral or the ignition would have to be turned off in order to slow the vehicle down. The dealer could not duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 110,000.

- Cottage Grove, MN, USA

Nov 212014

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. While driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle independently accelerated. The contact would have to depress the brake pedal in order to slow down the vehicle. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 124,000.

- Spring Lake , MI, USA

Aug 012014

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that the accelerator pedal failed to respond and the service four wheel drive warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 97,000.

- Thorton, CO, USA

Apr 112014

On April 11, 2014, my three young children, boyfriend, and myself(pregnant) stopped at a red light. As the light turned green I began to accelerate; that's when I heard a loud popping sound. At first I thought maybe my tire popped. I was barely able to pull off the 4 lane street I was traveling on without getting hit. Once I pulled over I realized oil leaking from underneath my truck. I was able to take the truck to a service station that was located across the parking lot and was told the engine failed. The truck still starts but makes a loud clicking noise. This truck has been well taking care of and maintenance regularly. I have done research on the issue and have found this has been an on going issue with Chrysler. I don't understand why there hasn't been a recall on this issue. I had no warning signs of any issues with my truck and now this. This is such a disappointment.

- Jamestown, NY, USA

Mar 032014

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

I bought my 04 Durango from a dealer and im outside of warranty I'm a little irritated with my wife calling me complaining she is stranded! I paid big money for this truck and don't think I should be responsible for paying a mechanic to play guess and check. I have my truck randomly shifting in and out of 4lock mostly while driving slow but has happened on the expressway im worried for damage to my transfercase from this I cant afford to replace a transfercase let alone the truck its self I see alot of others with the same issue and I think it should be a recall before someone is hurt by this common problem.

- Washington Twp, MI, USA

Apr 122012

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that whenever water came in contact with the vehicle such a rain, driving through a deep puddle or going through a car wash for instance, the vehicle would stall. The failure was recurring. The mechanic diagnosed that the air temperature sensor and the electric throttle needed to be replace. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 86,000.

- Griffith, IN, USA

Oct 112010

Durango 8-cyl

I pulled out of my apartment and began to accelerate up an incline. I heard a loud thump, all of the lights on the dash flashed and the car died right there approximately 60 yards from my door. After having it towed all over the place, I was informed that my engine had seized. I was very confused because I am always adamant about maintaining the vehicle and all of the regular work had been done. Dodge would do nothing because the vehicle's warranty had expired. Because I still owed money, I was forced to pay over $6,000 getting a replacement engine. Separate incident 08/17/2013 started vehicle after work. Got to work fine with no indications of trouble, engine was shaking violently, thick smoke sputtering from tail pipe. Reading engine codes saying fuel injector open. Spent 200 getting injection system checked with no success. Mechanic saying that the computer system is bad in the vehicle which is likely to cost upwards of $1000 from Dodge. Bottom line, this product is a complete disgrace, and I feel like the thousands of people affected by this terrible product should be compensated. I have almost had to pay for this car all over again with the time and money I have had to invest in repairs.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Mar 152004

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. The contact was driving approximately 1 mph when the brakes were applied but the vehicle suddenly accelerated abnormally. The contact applied extreme pressure to the brake pedal to stop the vehicle. The failure recurred three times. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 2,000. Updated 02/09/12 updated 02/13/12

- Keyport, NJ, USA

Oct 262011

Durango 8-cyl

I was driving to work going approximately 65 mph when I put on the break as traffic had gotten a little thick. As I released my foot off of the break the car kind of jumped (similar to when its in cruise control) and I noticed that it was picking up speed by itself. I immediately thought that somehow it had gone into cruise control on its own but when I again tried to put the break on I noticed that the break pedal was a bit resistant and when I removed my foot it again began to accelerate on its own. Still thinking this was a cruise control issue I hit the off button but this did not help. Not knowing what to do and realizing that getting the car to slow down was very difficult I didn't want to exit the expressway and not be able to stop or prevent an accident so I continued my drive to work with my foot on the brake knowing that in the worse case scenario there was a field I could crash into (at my work exit) if I could not get the car to stop. At one point I took my foot off of the break to see if the speed would continue to rise or if it would stop at any point, but after it began to approach 100mph (it was clear that it was going to continue rising)and scaring me even further I put my foot back on the break. Upon exiting the expressway I put both feet on the break and pressed down as hard as I could, only managing to get the speed to about 30 mph before I put it into neutral and shut it off. I was later told by the mechanic that my throttle was stuck. Needless to say it was one of the scariest experiences in my life!

- Southfield, MI, USA

Nov 272010

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. While the contact had his foot on the brake pedal ready to shift into park, the throttle stuck and crashed into a shed. The vehicle had not been inspected or repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 65,300.

- Fort Loudon, PA, USA

Jan 232010

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle stalled as if it was losing power but as the vehicle came to a complete stop it would cut off. She was able to restart it immediately. The throttle sensor warning light also illuminated. The vehicle has not been diagnosed by the dealer. A local mechanic called the dealer and advised them of the failure and what needed to be repaired; however, they were unable to repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was also called and confirmed that there were no warranties or recalls. The failure mileage was 78,000. Updated 11/16/10.

- Union, WV, USA

Feb 092010

When driving at low speeds it stalls. I am able to restart it but it is not always easy to tell when it has stalled, because all electrical things still work radio, lights, etc. Steering wheel does lock though and it takes almost a minute to get it into neutral and start it again. Also while driving as you press the gas pedal it acts as though it is going to die and then lunges forward. I have not yet corrected either of these issues.

- Ozaark, AL, USA

Oct 152009

Within one year of purchasing the vehicle, engine cluster lights started coming on. Air bag warning, ABS, traction control, check engine and brake warning lights as well as the speedometer failing to work. We have had the vehicle in over 12 times in the past 5 years for this recurring problem. The vehicle is now out of warranty but the problem is still happening. I have been told by a non Chrysler mechanic that the harness that goes to the ABS module has a connector near the wheel well. The dealership has tried on many occasions to seal this connector. I understand later models have a corrected harness. The mechanic told me the connector was repaired previously by splicing the wires of the harness near the connector. This was not a factory authorized repair. The connector and the ABS module are once again fried and melted. The vehicle has never had ABS, traction control or air bags working for more than a month after each repair attempt. Since the warranty expired on the vehicle, I have had it in one time for a repeated attempt to fix it. I had a battle trying to get the work done as a warranty issue. They charged me over $300 to trace the problem which it had been in for 11 times earlier. I am through trying to get this dealership to repair the problem. My wife is currently driving a car without ABS, traction control or air bags.

- Merritt Island, FL, USA

Aug 082009

Car sometimes starts without electrical response: Turn the ignition on and engine starts but no electricity. Driving on interstate 95 and all electricity to all panels and power steering shuts off. This happens often and results in having to coast to stop on the side of the interstate with little control of the vehicle. I have to restart engine several times before electrical response is restored. A tumbler kit was installed under warranty (service at pritchard Dodge in ithaca, NY in April of 2005) to reset electrical circuit and it helped but never fixed the problem, but now problem is back and getting worse. I do not have the luxury to buy another car so I have used it, but now is too dangerous.

- Branford, CT, USA

Apr 022007

Durango 4WD 6-cyl

Check engine and airbag light continually keeps coming on even after it' has been serviced. On 2 April 2007 check engine light came on, and lost its power after stopping at a stop light. It would idle, but would not move when the gas pedal was pressed. We had to turn the vehicle of at least two or three times before it would move when the gas was depressed. Additionally immediately after that you could tell that the vehicle was straining to drive, and you could also hear it while driving and going down the highway, it kept losing power as well. It has been in the shop now for 3 days, and I still can't get a straight answer on what it is that's wrong with vehicle. I have read about the investigation, but this does me no good because the dealership is saying that they honestly don't know what is wrong with my vehicle. I bought it brand new, and it has never been wrecked, and these are the only problems that I have had since I' bought it. There is no way I should be having this kind of problems at only a little over 66,000 miles. What can the manufacturer do to help with my situation?

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Aug 012004

Durango 8-cyl

Engine/transmission problems. Engine idles between 400 and 800 RPM at a stop after warm up (15 miles). At low speeds vehicle lurches forward and must be held at a stop firmly or it will take off. Stops are jerky because it feels like the truck is fighting. Lights pulse with the engine rpms. Force on the vehicle surges with the engine rpms. This is a constant thing that passengers and driver can actively feel, yet the dealership maintains that nothing is wrong. Many times (at least 8) the engine stalls at a stop during the RPM fluctuation. The transmission stays in second or higher gear at a stop. I know this because when I touch the gas pedal the transmission shifts hard and the truck leaps forward. It acts as though I had floored it even if I apply light pressure. Below you have incident date, this has been constant and increasing in strength since 6 months after I bought it. I have taken it to the dealership 5 times for the same problem. Tsb have been used. I just figure that I will wait until the vehicle fails completely but I don't like that option either.

- Sandy, UT, USA

May 052006

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

: the contact stated as the driver was turning into a parking space at 5 mph; the driver's foot was on the brake when the vehicle accelerated on its own hitting a tree. There was extensive damage done to the vehicle. This also occurred one other time in January. The vehicle accelerated as the vehicle was coming to a stop. The contact placed the vehicle in neutral in order to stop the vehicle. The dealership has been informed.

- Middle Village, NY, USA

Dec 052005

Durango 6-cyl

: the contact stated the throttle intermittently sticks at higher speeds of 45-60 mph during cold weather causing the engine to rev and not move forward. The check engine light has illuminated on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealership and they are unable to duplicate the problem.

- Anna, TX, USA

Jan 192006

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

: the consumer stated there have been two incidents with the vehicle inadvertently accelerating. First, while in reverse pulling out of a parking place, the vehicle accelerated across the parking lot. Second, while leaving a parking lot, the vehicle accelerated forward hitting another vehicle entering the parking lot. The dealership could not duplicate the problem. The manufacturer is sending an inspector to further investigate the problem.

- Ocracoke, NC, USA