9.3

2. new computer (16 reports)
  3. cool down engine (12 reports)
  4. no solution factory need to call back (10 reports)
  5. replaced pcm (9 reports)
  6. wiggle the wires to the pcm (5 reports)
1999 Dodge Durango engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Dodge Durango:

1999 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 1 of 9)

Nov 132013

Durango LX 5.9L

For no reason while driving on the highway the engine will shut off. All that could be done was to pull over to the side of the road. All the electrical seemed fine. The radio worked. After about 20 minutes the engine started. I replaced the ECM this week I will let you know if the problems acures

- , Orlando, Florica, USA

Aug 082013

Durango EX 5.9L V8

THE 32 WAY CONNECTORS TO THE PCM INTERMITTENTLY LOSE ELECTRICAL CONTACT AND THE ENGINE SHUTS OFF WITHOUT WARNING. LOOSE POWER STEERING AND BRAKES. VERY DANGEROUS. HAVE HAD 4 CLOSE CALLS. 2 NEAR REAR END COLLISIONS AFTER I LOST MY POWER BRAKES AND STEERING.

- , San Carlos, CA, USA

Apr 202014

Durango SLT 5.2L V8

I have only had this vehicle for a little over a month. I work 50+ hours a week with mentally handicapped people whom I have to transport. This is vehicle is by far the biggest PIECE OF CRAP I have EVER driven. I will never ever by a Dodge again. The problem needs fixed, and soon. Before myself or others get hurt. I am only 19 yrs old for heavens sake and your supposed to like your everyday driver for the most part right? Hell no. It stalls out multiple times DAILY! As I'm driving down the highway, in the city or simply sitting at a damn stop light. Sometimes even when I'm parked and have it running it does it. This needs to be fixed and there needs to be a recall !

- , Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA

Jun 042012

Durango SLT

Just bought a 1999 Dodge Durango SLT on 6-2-2012 and had it delivered today 6-4-2012. Went to go to the gas station to put gas in about 2 hours after the first incident,(already reported) and almost to gas station the stupid thing randomly shuts off again. I noticed when I tried to start it again and again that the fuel gauge wouldn't even register the fact that there was gas in the vehicle.

This time after waiting nearly 45 minutes in 100 degree heat with myself being pregnant and 6 kids in the car. I got a ride home from a friend and left it where it sat. Will tow it later. I have noticed that this seems to be a pretty common issue with no real definite solution according to the websites I have looked at. (haven't looked here as of yet though).

Does anyone else seem to have the same problem and/or have a solution that works short of either setting said vehicle on fire and pushing it off a cliff or trading it in??

Update from May 26, 2014: Bought a new computer about 6 months or so ago, installed it and have not has any problems since. The computer cost me about $250 bucks. So if you like to Durango and would like to keep it then I would highly recommend getting a new computer. :)

- , Three Rivers, TX, USA

Jun 012011

Durango SLT 5.9L

Back in June of 2011 the Durango started dying. Was stranded many times on the freeway or parking lots. Was barely able to get off the road. Took it to the mechanic and they said it was a leaky manifold. Fixed it just for a while. Took the Durango back in to another mechanic in Dec, where they have been doing common maintenance work. They finally have that fixed and took it for a test drive and it died on them. They said it could be a crank sensor so it got replaced and now that didn't fix it and now its either the PCM or ECM on the firewall getting hot and just shutting off without a warning. Called Dodge Complaint Center 1-800-423-6343 and the man said its old and Dodge isn't recalling this part. I've sunk a lot of money in this vehicle and am tired of it. We all need to complain about this problem. Dodge complaint center can't recall it if there isn't a lot of people complaining. Please everyone with this problem call them. Right now fuming about this.

- , Lee's Summit, MO, USA

Feb 172011

Durango 5.9L

computer gets hot and shuts down engine.when it cools down engine will start and run about 45 minutes.

- , Livingston, TN, USA

May 092012

Durango 5.3L

This isn't my truck my friend bought the dam piece of sh*t, at first I couldn't figure it out, no one could then finally looked in the internet bingo! Common problem its not the pcm it starts from the crankshaft position sensor, camshaft sensor,tps,map,coil and so forth must check all these first before wasting a lot of money these are easy and fast to check. I"m currently a student in automotive a good learning experience didn't know sh*t at first, my point is get rid of it its going to be a consistent problem.

- , Hemet, CA, USA

May 022013

Durango V8

I am a single mother, with a 12 year old daughter who works her ass off, no child support, no extra money for auto reoairs, I have replaced several parts on my 1999 dodge durango, with no avail. My truck breaks down whenever if feels like it needs too. It just shuts down on the highway, in the city, at the park, at the mall. My daughter and I have pushed it out of 3 lanes of traffic in the pouring down rain. We have sat for 10 minutes, 15 minutes or longer before it will start again, how embrassing when she has a friend over and try to have a fun day but cannot even make it to the beach, to the mall or simply to the store because the damn thing will not run. I am tired of eating Mc Donalds french fries because have to wait for my truck to decide to run again. So Dodge what are you going to do for me????????????????????????????????????????????????????

- , Holiday, FL - Florida, USA

Jul 252012

Durango LX 5.4L

I have taken this durango to 3 different auto shops and no one can figure out what is wrong with it. Now, if I let it sit for an hour or more it sometimes will restart. Anybody give me suggestions with what it could be, I'm getting mad. Can't figure out what is wrong.

- , Boswell, PA, USA

Oct 012012

Durango SLT 3.9L V8

Just reviewed the website and am amazed how many Durangos have the PCM [computer] issue. Unbelievable! Same problem as described ..the engine shuts down unexpectedly. Have been to two shops who couldn't identify the issue. All ready out $360 for a crank shaft sensor that did not fix the problem. Dodge wants nearly $1400 to repair an issue that should be a recall. Are you reading this Dodge? Will never purchase a Chrysler product again. Also had front end problems requiring ball joints and control arm bushings. Another sweet $1600! Never needed this much maintenance on a vehicle with only 89,000 miles. What a piece of crap.

- , Avondale, AZ, USA

Mar 072013

Durango ST

1999 Dodge Durango is a beautiful truck but the designer needs to be shot!!!! Shuts off on its own damn accord whenever it feels like it for no damn reason. I hope the bail out was worth it as they sure arent doing right by the people who buy their cars.

- , Ocean Springs, Missisippi, USA

Feb 022009

Durango 5.2L Magnum V8

99 Durango has been a great truck for a long while. Only in the last 4 or so years has it been a problem. Shuts off while driving all the time now. We have changed fuses, coils, and still nothing. Went out the other day and the truck wouldn't start at all. The computer under the glove box was just clicking. The battery was drained. Couldn't find a draw on the battery anywhere. Replaced the battery and it started. Ran fine up untill who knows? I have spent so much in tow trucks I bought a aaa membership. Seems to be the best thing to date. It must be something with the mileage that triggers this dangerous problem. I'm going to try the crank position sensor next. I also have a 98 dakota with the same motor, knock on wood never had a problem like this. This issue is specific with this year and model. It has to be a faulty part made in Mexico that dodge purchase for these trucks, or it's a bad program. I tend to lean towards the part only because others have had there CPU replaced or flashed.

- , Palm Beach Gardens, FL, USA

Aug 012011

Durango 5.9L

The problem occurs after the engine warms. No warnings prior to the engine shutting off. Driver loses power stearing once the engine shuts off. In order to start the car again the driver must keep foot on gas to keep the car idoling. If you need to get your car home without towing, the only way to keep the engine on is to keep your foot on the gas lightly, even while stopping. This is a very dangerous way to drive for people who are not accustomed to dealing with a vehicle that shuts itself off. I've owned my Durango for 9 years and have replaced the PCM three times. Do not buy brand new PCM's. Many auto part stores specialize in rebuilding/reprogramming the PCM's for Durangos. They will ask you to send your PCM to them, they will reprogram and send back to you. If you buy PCM's brand new, you are looking at close to $1,000 for the part + labor. I only spend $250-300 with shipping. Dodge needs to change where the PCM sits in the engine!!

- , Santa Rosa, CA, USA

Apr 192013

Durango SLT 5.2L V8

The car will just shut down on me, with no warning. Power steering goes out, car stops running, the only thing I can do is pull hard on the steering wheel and try to get it as far out of traffic as possible. Check engine light comes on after sitting for a minute, but a "No Bus" message comes up on the odometer. Gas light comes on, even when the tank is not even near empty. This was the 5th day in a row. Usually, it will start back up after cooling down for about 20 minutes, then run fine the rest of the day. This time, it shut off on me 4 times in a one-mile radius.

- , St. Marys, GA, USA

Mar 042013

Durango SLT

I have always wanted a dodge Durango with the third seat but I guess I should have looked the complaints of this vehicle up online before doing so. This vehicle is a piece of poo and I wish that I would have never bought it. I was driving 12 hours away to watch my son graduate from the army when I was traveling 75 mph on a major highway and it just stalls thank god no one was directly behind me or I would def would have been rear ended and I had 5 kids in the vehicle with me. This vehicle is so unsafe, and someone needs to do something about it I can't even drive 5 miles without it cutting off 3-5 times it's really not safe for children to be transported in this vehicle and I have cried with this vehicle more then a little. We have had it put on a machine and they said no codes were found so we started just replacing parts and it still isn't running right. It's a shame that Dodge won't recall these vehicles and do the right thing and fix them the right way.

- , Elkton, MD, USA

Mar 062013

Durango ST

Love the Durango but it shuts down with no warning all the damn time and its dangerous.

I was in Afghanistan and my wife had it happen to her a bunch of times. I felt like crap hearing her cry on the phone because she was stuck in traffic broken down and being cussed at by other motorists. If it happens and it kills someone I will feel like crap and I hope Dodge gets sued after reading these complaints of the same problem with no recall fix. I am going to install a small electric fan to cool off ECM and see if that works.

- , Ocean Springs, Missisippi, USA

Dec 062012

Durango SLT 5.2L

i have a 99 dodge durango 2wd. i was driving down the road and all of a sudden the steering locked up and ran me into a curb. i thought maybe it was my power steering pump or i needed power steering fluid. my boyfriend showed up and started the car and after a second of turning the wheel the steering loosened up and was fine. the whole ordeal freaked me out so bad that i had it towed to my house even tho it seemed drivable. since then it has just sat until today when i got the guts to go start it and try to drive it. it started fine but then sputtered out and died. i thought maybe the battery was dead because it has sat for about 2-3 weeks, but i tried it again and the same thing happened. then i thought maybe my power steering pump didn't stop working randomly,I 'm pretty sure my car had just died while driving and the steering locked but i didn't realize it because it is such a quiet car, so now im stuck with a car that dies as soon as i start it. i read on here that people have had this problem when the weather is extreme. we had just had a huge rain storm and it was very cold (mid 30s) right before the car started all this, so im not sure if that has anything to do with it, if anyone has had this problem and got it fixed it would be very appreciated if u would let me know what it is. im a mom of two and having no car is very difficult!!

- , Fortuna, CA, USA

Jul 242012

Durango LX 5.4L

Giant issue, no one can fix, it stops running, it keeps dying while driving. No mechanic can figure it out.

- , Boswell, PA, USA

Aug 092006

Durango 5.8L V8

Had the PCM replaced 6 years ago after replacing $1800.00 of sensors, and now 6 years later I need to replace the PCM again. If it is an obvious design flaw why isn't there a recall?

- , Chico, CA, USA

Jun 142012

Durango SLT 5.2L

shouts down after it running about 5 minutes and wont start till it cools down.then starts and run good for another 5 min.when shut down. It reads no buss found.

- , Clarksburg, IN, USA