1. dealer replaced upper control 3 times (1 reports)
  2. none, fatal accident occurred (1 reports)
2000 Dodge Durango suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Dodge Durango:

2000 Dodge Durango Owner Comments

May 272006

Durango

a pebble would throw me off the road, and it sounded like a piece of you know what. it also wore out my tires. of course this all occered right after the warranty expired. just get it fixed as soon as possible. but something does need to happen

- , Snohomish, WA, USA

Feb 092005

Durango

WE REPRESENT TWO PERSONS INVOLVED IN A DODGE DURANGO ROLLOVER FATALITY ACCIDENT. WE NEED TO SPEAK TO OTHERS WHO HAVE HAD THEIR 2000 DODGE DURANGOS DEVELOP BAD UPPER CONTROL ARMS/BALL JOINTS.

IN PARTICULAR, WE WOULD VERY MUCH LIKE EITHER PHOTOGRAPHS OF OR THE ACTUAL BAD UPPER CONTROL ARMS/BALL JOINTS.

WE NEED PHOTOS SHOWING CORROSION AND WEAR.

WE NEED YOUR HELP!

PLEASE CONTACT RICK BY EMAIL USING THE CONACT LINK BELOW

- , Waln, CA, USA

Dec 012003

Durango SLT

The 1st time was at 6458 miles, second was at 38,000 miles and the 3rd was at 42,000 miles. Now I have 70,000 miles on it and again the control arm bushings are bad, only this time upper & lower need them. Went to a local dealer to have them inspected, as it does no good to contact Chrysler, they just take your complaint and log it, without offering up any assistance. The dealer I went to said that the upper control arms had been improperly installed at the dealer that I bought it from and who also serviced my vehicle everytime I took it in. So, now I have to wait and see if the Zone/Region Manager will do anything. I have also had 4 sets of tires on this vehicle, now the 5th set is wearing, due to the control arms on both side being out. I have read horror stories of others having ball-joints cause wheels to fall off and suspensions to completely collapse. I have also read that in August 2003, that the redesign of the control arm kit, removed the welding of the tie rod ends to the control arms. I personally have never had a problem with the ball joints, but I did read the requested information by the NHTSA, from Chrysler on the ball joints. There is also a chart which gives the number of problems with the control arms in the NHTSA report compilation from Chrysler and the 2000 Durango had almost 5,500 reported problems with the control arms. Year 1999 had the most, with nearly 6500 reported problems. I made it clear to Chrysler that I wasn't happy and that I would never buy another Daimler/Chrysler product again, as my 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo had had front bushing problems as well in the early mileage. I feel that putting the Dodge Dakota front suspension on the Durango was totally ridiculous, as the Durango is a heavier vehicle, not to mention that the Dakota also has reported problems with its front suspension, much the same as the Durango, but not as frequent.

- , Garland, TX, USA