2001 Dodge Durango wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Durango:

2001 Dodge Durango Owner Comments

Dec 032010

Durango 5.0L

Wheel bearing went out on my way to work this morning. I assume it is the wheel bearing with my limited knowledge of cars. I was going up a steep road when it went out. It made an awful noise like metal breaking up and would not continue up the hill. This is where I become uncertain that it is just the wheel bearing. I tried to shift into reverse and it felt as if it would not shift without difficulty. At this point I shifted the rig into neutral and rolled it backwards down the hill. Not safe but thankfully I work at 430 am and there was not any traffic. I have been looking for a wheel bearing replacement as my son says he can fix it. I am confused as to whether or not I need wheel bearing AND the hub assembly or just the wheel bearing. What a nightmare… I suppose things could be worse… and from reading about similar experiences, it could have been a lot worse. I can’t imagine if I had been on the highway or had my children been in the car with me at a busier time of day.

- , Lewiston, ID, USA