2. recall to replace shift lever (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Durango transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Dodge Durango:

2002 Dodge Durango Owner Comments

Nov 192013

Durango 5.9L

Holds in gear for too long.

It won't shift out of first gear until 3000 rpms. I have to let of the excelerator at 2000-2500 rpms to let it shift down to second gear. If I don't let off just right getting on the freeway then it winds really high.

Brought it to a local shop and had them service the transmission. A piece of metal came out when they pulled the plate off. For now, just babying it.

- , Seattle, WA, USA

Mar 022013

Durango 5.9L

holds in gear too long

wont shift out of first untill 3000 rpms, when passing have to let out of the gas for it to shift, bounces off rev limiter if you dont

- , Sturgis, MI, USA

Dec 012007

Durango SLT 4.7L V8

Well, In regards to what was said earlier about possibly the torque converter malfunctioning, my Durango seems to be displaying similar problems. On occasion, I will start it up, and as i get ready to shift into gear, I find that the shifter WILL NOT BUDGE. Usually after about 5 minutes of letting the truck idle, it loosens up. Although it does not happen often, it is a major inconvenience, especially in the event of a serious emergency where I need to get in my truck and leave without anything stalling me.

It turns out that the "shift lever" is malfunctioning and needs to be replaced. Luckily there is a recall for it.

- , Olive Branch, MS, USA

Jul 252006

Durango SLT

I too have a 2002 Dodge Durango and about a year ago I took it in because I was having problems with the transmission. I was told that the torgue converter was leaking down when the car sat and that is why when I put it in reverse immediately after starting the car that it would not move. If I left it sit and run for a minute before I put it in reverse then it would move fine. I was told of course that I could spend the money to replace it but I might as well wait until the transmission went out completely.

- , Surprise, AZ, USA

Jun 282005

check engine lite came on trans problem. dealer couldn't figure out the problem and just kept changing parts in trans. Finally, they said they could not verify my complaint. Warranty.. from Dodge.. What a joke. I bet they would fix my car if I was paying full retail price, instead of being COVERED under warranty. The trans has a bad torque converter and Dodge won't fix it. I am going to have it fixed, cut open all the old parts, find the flaws and shove them up Dodge's a.. and have them pay for this. What a joke. I have been in the auto repair business since 1965 and never have been treated like this.

- , Belmont, CA, USA