8.3

2. replaced heater motor resistor and connector (3 reports)
2003 Dodge Durango AC / heater problems

AC / heater problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Durango:

2003 Dodge Durango Owner Comments

Jul 072016

Durango V8

I bought this Durango in 2004. Air conditioning not working right. brought it back to dodge dealer in Merrick New York. They put a bandaid on it. brought it in again for the same problem. Bandaid it again. I rode around with the airconditioner running only on the second button, ( which I found out is only 60%). I got fed up, and gave up on the dealer. Now I'm retired and drive around during the day, which is HOT! I brought it into my mechanic and spent $10000.00 to replace it, because as I was driving, it started clanging. Now it still has the same problem, because the plug under the passenger side is melted together. I spoke to Dodge Chrysler company, they said there was no recall. How in gods name do they say there's no problem when, I spent all this money, I still have the same problem. At the dealer the second time it cost me $800.00. I am going to ride around with lemons on the car. I will never buy another dodge or Chrysler again!!

- , Levittown, NY, USA

Jan 032014

Durango SLT V8

Bought this 2003 Durango new - absolutely still love it! HOWEVER - for the past 5 years my heater fan goes out, yearly. First you smell the burning, then no fan! I rarely use the A/C so summers aren't so bad. The last 4 years it goes out at the worst time ever, when it's freezing. With no defrosters I can't drive it at all. I keep having it repaired, but it just keeps happening, so I'm stuck in the house waiting for a garage to maybe be able to replace it again...next week, and if it's snowing, I won't even be able to drive it to the garage. So I'm immobile at a time of the year that most other people can't go where I can. Frustrating, but never had a problem with the motor or trans, only standard maintenance.

I don't understand why there isn't a permanent fix! Hmmm...I wonder if I can find a portable hair dryer that would plug into my power outlet so I could get back on the road?

- , Wauconda, IL, USA

May 122005

Durango SLT 4.7L

The heater motor resistor and the connector for same over heat and melt down! I'm sure it's a defect in the wiring harness and Chrysler should have recalled this vehicle for repairs. I have fixed this ongoing problem SEVERAL times, the thing is, you can't find a connector (which melts onto the resistor when it overheats) as an aftermarket part..so you need to BEG a junkyard to let you cut the 5 pronged connector off of a junk vehicle.. most don't want to "ruin the wiring harness" Chrysler should have addressed this problem LONG AGO!! THEY KNOW THIS CAUSES A POTENTIAL FIRE UNDER THE DASH !! I'm surprised the insurance companies don't go after them for the damages!! I understand they may have a "repair kit" available now...they should give it to us F R E E ! However it is my understanding that it does not supply a connector, merely pigtail wires which you need to put into the OLD connector..LOTS OF LUCK! they melt down like a torch has been on them! With 127,000 miles this vehicle has given me little problems except for front end work and this damn electrical problem!

- , selden, NY, USA

Sep 162011

Durango SLT 4,7

REPEATED FAILURE/BURNT CONNECTION OF BLOWER MOTOR RESISTOR AND CONNECTOR. this IS A REOCCURRING PROBLEM. 7th TIME REPAIRED IN 5 YEARS.

- , Browns Mills, NJ, USA

May 162010

Durango SLT V8 4.7L

What's up with the heat / air with the durango? Purchased vehicle brand new off the lot 5/03 paid out the butt for a car that can't cool / heat the back passengers.... Really

- , Aurora, IN, USA

Jul 112010

Durango SLT 4.8L V8

Constant re-occurring problem. Has gone out 5 times. Replaced blower motor twice and resistor 4 times. Chrysler fixed 4 times, Certified independent fixed last time. Independent found notice in resistor repair box citing that re-occurring problem is probably in the wiring harness and should be replaced. So far Chrysler has not done so.

- , Temeperance, MI, USA