2003 Dodge Durango steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Durango:

2003 Dodge Durango Owner Comments

Mar 152009

Durango

The passenger side upper ball joint started coming apart at just 47,000 miles. I was lucky to catch it as it could have resulted in the whole wheel coming off the vehicle and a serious accident if at speed. Typically ball joints wear before they fail and that is usually only after a hundred or a few hundreds thousand miles. To have a complete failure of the ball joint at just 47,000 miles is alarming. I discovered there was an issue and a silent recall of 2000-2003 Durango's for this problem. I called Dodge about the repair but they refused to fix it saying that even though my vehicle is a 2003, my VIN was not included in the recall. My vehicle is the same year and same extraordinary and dangerous problem.

- Emerson, NJ, USA

Dec 292008

Durango

Power steering rack failed at 73,000 miles. Unacceptable that the steering would fail with only 73,000 miles!! paid $900 to have repaired. This was 6 months ago. Now they are saying our wheel bearings are failing and are not covered under the recall that was put in place back in 2004. Even though the mechanic told us that our wheel would fall off if we didn't have it fixed. That should fall under the category of the recall for the wheel hub.

- Folsom, CA, USA

Jan 282008

Durango 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Dodge Durango. While attempting to make a right turn at 30 mph, the vehicle veered to the right. The contact experienced difficulty controlling the vehicle, but was able to drive to his residence. He took the vehicle to a repair shop the following day and they repaired the vehicle at the cost of $357.64. The failure mileage was 41,725. Updated 5/20/08 updated 05/20/08

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Aug 112006

Durango 8-cyl

Front end problems with M 2003 Dodge Durango. Have had steering rack replaced, inner & outer ball joints replaced as well as both upper control arms. Steering went out on my wife while making a right hand turn. Both inner tie-rod ends snapped out and car lost complete steering control. Car ran into parked car causing substantial damage to both vehicles. Because of the low speed no injuries occurred, had this happened at highway speed. I could have been killed along with others on the highway. What are you waiting for" for a fatality? does it take the life of human being to save money to have this problem solved" please do something, I will never never buy a Dodge automobile again and if I see someone making this mistake or looking at Dodge I will advise them of all the problems that Dodge has and are not willing to back their product. Buy a foreign car!!!!

- Riverbank, CA, USA

May 202004

Durango 8-cyl

Steering failed when making a left hand turn. Both upper ball joints were replaced. While driving the brake light illuminated. The dealer replaced the anti lock control module and the master cylinder.

- Broad Channel, NY, USA