Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The second generation Durango was introduced in 2004 and instantly came under fire for, well, catching on fire.

The problems didn't stop there, however. Owners of the recalled vehicles complained about being treated unfairly and given take-it-or-leave-it low ball settlement offers. "They offered me $2000 under NADA retail as a settlement," said one owner, "and have been rude and hostile to deal with." Nothing says awesome service like treating your customers rudely after their cars have caught on fire.

Have we mentioned all the reports of complete engine failure due to oil sludge?

2004 Dodge Durango accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Durango:

2004 Dodge Durango Owner Comments

Mar 052011

Key fob poorly designed which leads to small interier metal prong breaking causing the key to be no good. Once the key is no longer working you have to open the doors manually by inputting the key into the door lock which sounds the alarm until the car is started. This is a true safety issue when your holding two infants and trying to open the door and stop the alarm from sounding. I was also approached by officers as there had been car break ins in this particular location and they believed I was steeling the veh because the alarm was sounding and I was leaned over attempting to get the key in the ignition to stop the alarm from sounding. I've checked on the internet and many other folks have this same issue. The Dodge dealership has even advised me that this is a known issue and that mopar who manufactuers the keys for Dodge has changed the design because of the issue, however, they will not fix the issue for those with keys already broke and is not willing to reiumburse for the key cost.

- Riverview, FL, USA

Nov 172009

My vehicle is a 2004 Durango limited and I have problems with my remote transmitter that locks/unlocks the doors and sets the alarm. The remote works for a short period of time then I have to open it up and adjust the brackets that hold the battery as if it's loose and I want to ensure contact. That worked for some time along with tapping it upside down so that the battery would transmit to the remote (not sure) but this is no longer working. I have two remotes and only one has worked and I have tried installing new batteries in both with no success. Sometimes I have to open the car with the key and sets off the loud/obnoxious alarm system where the lights flash and the car honks until I turn the car on and it stops. I now think that the remote transmitters are defective as I've always had issues with them locking and unlocking whenever they feel like it.

- Woodland, CA, USA

Oct 092009

I have a 2004 Durango limited ed, and the lights on the stereo screen dim and then turn off. The power on the stereo becomes frozen; if the radio is on when starting the car it will stay on but if it was off, it cannot be powered on. I am able to manipulate the volume via the buttons behind the steering wheel but only the am/fm mode works and not the cd or aud/alternate mode for my ipod. I'm not positive, but I believe that the controls for the heater/ac do not work either and the digital screen is off (has happened about 3 times and is unpredictable and has been months apart). After I bought the car (11/08), I noticed that the battery shut off B/C when I got back into the car and started it, all of my radio stations that were programmed and the time were reset. Also, when the stereo "freezes" like this, I can hear a load zooming/clicking sound from the speakers on top of music when playing.

- Woodland, CA, USA

Aug 082009

Car sometimes starts without electrical response: Turn the ignition on and engine starts but no electricity. Driving on interstate 95 and all electricity to all panels and power steering shuts off. This happens often and results in having to coast to stop on the side of the interstate with little control of the vehicle. I have to restart engine several times before electrical response is restored. A tumbler kit was installed under warranty (service at pritchard Dodge in ithaca, NY in April of 2005) to reset electrical circuit and it helped but never fixed the problem, but now problem is back and getting worse. I do not have the luxury to buy another car so I have used it, but now is too dangerous.

- Branford, CT, USA

Sep 042008

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. While the vehicle was parked in a public parking lot, it erupted into flames. There were no prior warnings or injuries. The fire and police departments were called to the scene and a report was filed. The fire department marshall stated that the cause of the failure was electrical due to defective wiring within the instrument panel. The vehicle was destroyed and towed to the contact's residence. The contact was concerned of the safety risk involved. The failure and current mileages were 80,000.

- Mathis, TX, USA

Jan 202008

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

After the original purchase of the vehicle 2004, on a hill in a curvy turn, at the stop on the hill the vehicle would stall. Dealer could never recreate the situation, never fixed. Now there is a fix out there. Over the past several months, have noticed vehicle stall when it rains, (wet moisture), the RPM's go up and way down. Been to the dealer several times, first time replace wires, plugs, not it, next flash and upgrade software, not fixed, they cant re-create the problem. The vehicle will stall, unknown when it will stall, may run great day 1 in the am, not run in the afternoon. May run ok first 20 minutes, then will decide to stall. Prior to the software upgrade vehicle would run fine in dry weather., now with the upgrade, vehicle does not start properly. Dealer can not seem to find a fix to the stalling issue.

- Willoughby Hills, OH, USA

Jun 212005

Durango 8-cyl

When the ambient temperature is above 105 deg F, the air conditioner blows out hot air. I have had the 31 Mar 05 tsb fix put in place, but the ac still does not work correctly.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA