Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The second generation Durango was introduced in 2004 and instantly came under fire for, well, catching on fire.

The problems didn't stop there, however. Owners of the recalled vehicles complained about being treated unfairly and given take-it-or-leave-it low ball settlement offers. "They offered me $2000 under NADA retail as a settlement," said one owner, "and have been rude and hostile to deal with." Nothing says awesome service like treating your customers rudely after their cars have caught on fire.

Have we mentioned all the reports of complete engine failure due to oil sludge?

2004 Dodge Durango brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Durango:

2004 Dodge Durango Owner Comments

Feb 182013

My well-maintained 2004 Dodge Durango slt began doing something bizarre a few months ago at about 120,000 miles. This has 4.7L V8 and the AWD-4hi-4lo 2-speed transfer case. The "service 4WD" and the traction control light began flashing, and it felt like the transfer case was stuck in 4hi with the tires grabbing on a turn. The selector knob on the dash would not function. I brought the truck to my mechanic who checked the function of the transfer case motor, inspected the motor and wiring, and changed the transfer case fluid again. I called my local Chrysler dealer and they advised that they would need to change the transfer case motor. The motor costs $1190 plus two hours labor and two quarts of atf+4 fluid. I brought the truck back to my mechanic and he said there is nothing wrong with the motor or the transfer case or the dash selector knob. He said he believes this is a control module or programming issue. I got a third opinion at my local lee myles. They concurred that there is nothing wrong with the transfer case motor and there must be some issue with the computer, programming, or one or more of the control modules. The truck continues to do the same thing. The malfunction condition exists approximately 65% of the time. I can't afford to bring to the dealer now and spend over $1300 for a repair that I do not think will correct the problem. I have read on many message boards that this seems to be a very common issue with 2004-2006 Durangos and changing the motor, or the switch does not help the situation. I also notice that at times when I open the doors or unlock the doors with the key fob, I can hear the transfer case motor cycling. This seems to be an electrical or programming issue. It is very difficult to turn the wheels at low speeds when the malfunction condition exists and I fear this is straining the transmission.

- Edison, NJ, USA

Mar 152013

Durango 8-cyl

03/15/20013 I and my son were getting out of the winn dixie, a heavy spoke coming out of the panel. I called fire dept. And triple a to pick up the vehicle, the vehicle shot down complete after that. Wiper when off and light. 03/19/13 for the 2nd time, I took the vehicle to the dealer as per Chrysler instructions ( miami lakes auto mall) to repair the recall G07 back in 2009 or 2010 that was perform there. 03/20/2013 they called from the dealer to pick up the vehicle. When I went to pick up, they told me, they brought the wrong parts with a huge miles they need it to return same and request another one. They didn't knew the miles they put me 94,000 something miles without confirm with us. The assistant service manager was very un professional, he told me that was the computer in other words they didn't knew. At that time they told us me and my husband that the only thing that they found on the car was the brake pad and some other parts that they inform us that needs repair in future date. If we want they can do it for $800, we told no thanks, we will repair same issue when we can. 03/25/2013 the dealer calls us to pick up the car, however the lights on the panel are not working. I explain the dealer & Chrysler how I can drive a car without seeing the miles that I'm going or anything else. That?S not safe for me or the consumers. Of course they don't care, they told me to pay them the repair or drive the vehicle. Which I don't agree cause the vehicle was working fine. What the dealer & Chrysler want is the consumer to pay for the parts that they didn't fix the first time. Something needs to be done before someone is hurt badly.

- Hialeah, FL, USA

Oct 152009

Within one year of purchasing the vehicle, engine cluster lights started coming on. Air bag warning, ABS, traction control, check engine and brake warning lights as well as the speedometer failing to work. We have had the vehicle in over 12 times in the past 5 years for this recurring problem. The vehicle is now out of warranty but the problem is still happening. I have been told by a non Chrysler mechanic that the harness that goes to the ABS module has a connector near the wheel well. The dealership has tried on many occasions to seal this connector. I understand later models have a corrected harness. The mechanic told me the connector was repaired previously by splicing the wires of the harness near the connector. This was not a factory authorized repair. The connector and the ABS module are once again fried and melted. The vehicle has never had ABS, traction control or air bags working for more than a month after each repair attempt. Since the warranty expired on the vehicle, I have had it in one time for a repeated attempt to fix it. I had a battle trying to get the work done as a warranty issue. They charged me over $300 to trace the problem which it had been in for 11 times earlier. I am through trying to get this dealership to repair the problem. My wife is currently driving a car without ABS, traction control or air bags.

- Merritt Island, FL, USA