CarComplaints.com Notes: The second generation Durango was introduced in 2004 and instantly came under fire for, well, catching on fire.

The problems didn't stop there, however. Owners of the recalled vehicles complained about being treated unfairly and given take-it-or-leave-it low ball settlement offers. "They offered me $2000 under NADA retail as a settlement," said one owner, "and have been rude and hostile to deal with." Nothing says awesome service like treating your customers rudely after their cars have already caught on fire.

2005 Dodge Durango brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Durango:

2005 Dodge Durango Owner Comments

Mar 152016

Durango

Having problems with the 4WD engaging on its own while vehicle sitting after shutoff as well as has shifted automatically from AWD into 4WD while driving down the road at 55+mph...totally unsafe. Have seen many complaints for this same issue going on from other Dodge owners for '04 and '05 Dodge Caravan for same issue. Appears to be related to faulty chinese manufactured part Dodge was installing and faulting out connections causing power load to not be same power load as original spec (easily corroded wiring) and then screwing up the connection and faulting the unit out to start to shift on its own. Major safety concern if occurring on many different personal over the past 5 yrs histories seen for same vehicle models. When vehicle is shutoff can also hear the 4WD selector clicking / engaging back and forth the 4WD system in / out from AWD to 4WD. Vehicle is currently stuck in 4WD lo now.

- Montpelier, OH, USA

Aug 122016

Durango

Car stalls at stop light. No reason. Car started shifting into all wheel drive by itself. I could hear it shifting as I opened driver door, and car was not on. Did not know what the noise was. Car sounded like it was grinding the gears when moved into drive. Towed to shop. Transmission guy could not figure out why it changed all by itself. Cargo lamp is one if I open rear hatch. It will only go off if I close the hatch twice. Now airbag light is on, since new battery was replaced.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

May 012016

Durango

While driving, turning, parked, vehicle on or off, the 4WD selector will switch between AWD, 4lock and 4lo. The svc4wd light sometimes blinks after start up, sometimes while driving. This happens in park, neutral or drive and the transfer case motor can be heard switching under the vehicle. See issue described exactly here: www.cargurus.com/cars/discussion-T4148_ds482593 this is not a one-off issue, this is affecting multiple Dodge, Jeep, Chrysler 4X4 vehicles over multiple years with both the 2wd-4WD and AWD options. Can be hazardous when traveling at highway speeds and causes loss of control during turning while on hard surfaces due to locked axles. Even the manual warns against running in 4 lock/4lo on pavement or blacktop, this can cause damage to the powertrain.

- Green Bay, WI, USA

Nov 012015

Durango

In my 05 Durango, the 4WD keeps clicking on and off randomly. I could be driving down the highway or just turned the car off. The engine has not been able to go in drive, reverse, etc. I had a mechanic look at the transmission, spending a ton of unnecessary money when the whole time the 4WD has been stuck in neutral. Dodge knows about the problem, why isn't there a recall" apparently the switching into 4lo at high speeds can cause serious damages -- even death to me or my children or other innocent people on the highway. What am I supposed to do???"

- Villa Ridge, MO, USA

Aug 262015

Durango

My car repeatedly cuts off while I am driving. I noticed that other people have the same issue with the same model as I have which a 2005 Dodge Durango. I did my research and it was identified by Dodge as a low maneuver issue. One incident that happens a few days ago was that my vehicle shut off on a curve while merging on the highway. I am very luck that it was a car behind me and they were not going fast. My car shut off and I lose control of the steering because of the loss of power. I have to put the car in park and then try to start the vehicle. I would like this issue addressed I have complained about this since 2006.

- Glen Burnie, MD, USA

Nov 012014

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

• 1,800,083 miles
As I went to work today, I noticed my truck was kicking when accelerating down the street. As I would come up to a complete stop, the truck would still keep on going. I have been hearing clicking when I open up the driver door, and on occasion on my daily commute to work, I was noticing the 4lo light blink. Well, today, I drove to work, and on the interstate, the 4lo light came on without blinking. A solid color. I started to see a lot of white smoke come from under the hood of the car, and from the bottom of the car as well. I pulled over to look at the vehicle and noticed that the truck was leaking all the tranny fluid. I was blocks from work, when I went back into the Durango and noticed that the extreme heat light had turned on in the dashboard. I waited about 30 minutes until I turned my truck back on, and begin to drive to work. It was still kicking and now it felt like the tranny was slipping. I finally made it to work. The truck was engulfed in smoke. I've noticed that when the 4lo lights start blinking, I have a hard time trying to turn the wheels left or right, and my wheels lock. This should be a transfer case recall... its a real big safety issue.

- Socorro, TX, USA

Oct 232014

Durango

Today my Durango lurched forward uncontrollably, hitting 3 cars in the parking lot at the elementary school where I work. My foot was not on the accelerator. There was no way I could have accelerated that quickly in 12-14 feet to cause that kind of damage. If there had been any children out there, they could have been killed! it was the most terrifying thing that ever happened to me. A recall needs to be issued immediately or someone will be hurt or killed.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Dec 272012

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

The car begins to sputter and stall at constant speeds, then stalls while running which disables the power steering and brakes. This situation is profoundly dangerous as it renders the car nearly unable to stop. The only way you can stop is if you can get the car into neutral, coast off the road and quickly restart the engine. The engine light does come on during. I have gotten this issue repaired four times and it continues to occur and the sensors that correspond to the code have been replaced twice each and are in full working order. Dodge is aware of the issue but will not do anything.

- Owings Mills, MD, USA

Sep 292008

Durango

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. While driving 30 mph, the vehicle suddenly shut off. The vehicle became difficult to drive and brake, and nearly crashed into another vehicle. The dealer could not diagnose the cause of the failure. The contact feels that the vehicle is unsafe to drive. The failure mileage was 41,881.

- Biddeford, ME, USA