CarComplaints.com Notes: The second generation Durango was introduced in 2004 and instantly came under fire for, well, catching on fire.

The problems didn't stop there, however. Owners of the recalled vehicles complained about being treated unfairly and given take-it-or-leave-it low ball settlement offers. "They offered me $2000 under NADA retail as a settlement," said one owner, "and have been rude and hostile to deal with." Nothing says awesome service like treating your customers rudely after their cars have already caught on fire.

2.0

2005 Dodge Durango brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Durango:

2005 Dodge Durango Owner Comments

Aug 192015

Durango

I turned left sharply into a parking spot and the vehicle completely stalled on me upon doing this. I lost all engine power, steering and brake control. I was able to restart the vehicle immediately and park the vehicle. For the previous 3 weeks or so the vehicle has sputtered and been sluggish when turning sharply into parking spots or around sharp corners but has never stalled. 8/19/15 was the first incident of the vehicle completely stalling.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Jun 012015

Durango

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that while operating the vehicle, the service brakes and the service engine warning lights illuminated. In addition, there was smoke coming from the engine. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 177,000.

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Jul 232015

Durango quit runing wile going 45 mph

- Granville, NY, USA

Jun 102015

Durango

Four low light blinks. Service four wheel drive light comes on. Will just xompletely shut off while driving. Has also shut off while stopping to turn. Have to wait until vehicle stops put it back in park and attempt to restart it. Happens at least once every time I attempt to drive it. Higjly unsafe. Goggled problem and tons of people with same problem. Why has there not been a recall on this. This is insane and something needs done!!!

- Terra Alta, WV, USA

Jun 122013

Durango

Engine stalls with no warning, affecting braking and steering while moving, has happened in heavy traffic, is intermittent and is a huge safety concern.

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Jun 212014

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

The car locks it's wheels and doesn't run. When coming to a stop light the brakes do not respond and it jerks trying to stop and accelerate at the same time. The ignition switch also catches and does not start. I've taken the Durango to the dealership and I'm always told that nothing is wrong with it.

- Beaumont, TX, USA

Dec 242014

Durango

My 2005 Dodge Durango keeps locking up when I'm turning. When the vehicle is on or off it will start flashing 4lo. The vehicle shifts into lock all on it's own, then the svc 4WD light comes on. After a few minutes the light will go off and the transfer case will shift back to AWD. Sometimes when the vehicle is turned off you can hear the transfer shift back and forth from AWD to 4 lock.

- Davie, FL, USA

Sep 242014

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Vehicle engine shut off/stalled with no warning. Dash lights turned off, brakes wouldn't work.

- Keyser, WV, USA

Jul 152014

Durango

Vehicle stalled while driving, completely froze up. Was unable to use brakes, steering wheel was also affected. Was very scary as we were driving in traffic. This has happened on more than one occasion while driving and also when backing out of driveway.

- Pueblo, CO, USA

Aug 102014

Durango 8-cyl

Vehicle stalled while pulling into a parking stall. When that happens you lose complete power and it is extremely difficult to steer. The Dodge dealer claims to have no idea of what I'm talking about nor did it do the same to them when they were driving. When they called to talk about fixing some issues with the vehicle they were trying to charge me $959 to change an alternator that is working at 90% and the efr. This does not guarantee the problem will be fixed. These are 2 (two) codes their machine is throwing. Their machine does not indicate anything about stalling.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Apr 012014

Durango 8-cyl

I have owned my 05 Durango since 07. My Durango has stalled now 4 times in 6 months. Once in a hospital parking lot going very slow. Next time while backing out of my driveway. About a month ago I turned into my neighborhood and made a slow left turn onto my street. It lost power halfway into the turn. No RPM's no speedo. No power steering no power brakes. I man handled the turn, flipped it in neutral. Turned the key off then on and I had my speedo back, and I continued to start it back up. I thought ok that was crazy weird. No check engine lights, no codes. I thought it was bad gas or fuel system clogged. I have since cleaned all they up and serviced the fuel system. Then yesterday it happened again in the same exact location doing the same exact low speed maneuver. This time I had my kids in the truck. What if I pulled across traffic to turn with no power and stalls. What if my wife was driving? I'm not sure she could remedy a situation like this.

- Edmond, OK, USA

Mar 012010

Durango

Engine turns off randomly usually at a lower speed but not always.

- Napa, CA, USA

Nov 172013

Durango

While cruising a back road near home the Durango suddenly shut off leaving me no lower steering or brakes. It was terrifying. I was lucky to be only going approximately 25 mph as I was just cresting a hill. I was able to have enough momentum to guide the truck onto a side street. It restarted immediately upon putting it in park again. And I was able to drive it to my parents house without incident and then again back to my house later in the day. There was no warning lights that lit on the dash and no other indication that there was a. malfunction. The rpms were smooth, no rough engine. Terrified to drive this truck now.

- Clinton, CT, USA

Jan 212013

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

The car begins to sputter and stall at constant speeds, then stalls while running which disables the power steering and brakes. This situation is profoundly dangerous as it renders the car nearly unable to stop. The only way you can stop is if you can get the car into neutral, coast off the road and quickly restart the engine. The engine light does come on during. I have gotten this issue repaired four times and it continues to occur and the sensors that correspond to the code have been replaced twice each and are in full working order. Dodge is aware of the issue but will not do anything.

Dec 272012

Oct 102012

Durango

The car begins to sputter and stall at constant speeds, then stalls while running which disables the power steering and brakes. This situation is profoundly dangerous as it renders the car nearly unable to stop. The only way you can stop is if you can get the car into neutral, coast off the road and quickly restart the engine. The engine light does come on after the event. I have gotten this issue repaired four times and it continues to occur and the sensors that correspond to the code have been replaced twice each and are in full working order. Dodge is aware of the prevalence of this issue and is unwilling to cooperate because they have not made a recall as of yet.

Jun 092012

Durango

I have a 2005 Durango and lately it has been dying with no type of any warning. It usually will happen if I am turning a corner, coming to a stop and then trying to accelerate, or going through parking lots. Saturday I had a car full of kids leaving a baseball game and I stopped at a stop sign to cross a busy hwy in my hometown and when I went to accelerate to go across the intersection of the hwy my Durango died right there with oncoming traffic headed toward us...I couldn't steer and had to stop in the middle of the hwy with the kids in my car and put the car in park and frantically try to start the car hoping this would help (which thankfully it did this time). This has happened more than once and each time is getting more and more scarier. I am afraid to drive the car for fear one of these times my family and I won't be so lucky and will end up being killed due to the defect in the vehicle. I have reviewed many forums online and see many complaints in the forums where this has been brought to Dodge's attention and even complaints on this site with nothing done to resolve this issue. This is very dangerous for everyone involved because of the stalling of the vehicle. Please listen to the consumers and help resolve this issue. Thank you.

- Newberg, OR, USA