Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The second generation Durango was introduced in 2004 and instantly came under fire for, well, catching on fire.

The problems didn't stop there, however. Owners of the recalled vehicles complained about being treated unfairly and given take-it-or-leave-it low ball settlement offers. "They offered me $2000 under NADA retail as a settlement," said one owner, "and have been rude and hostile to deal with." Nothing says awesome service like treating your customers rudely after their cars have already caught on fire.

2005 Dodge Durango fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Durango:

2005 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Sep 102016

I have a 2005 Dodge Durango with the 5.7 hemi engine.. it has 80,000 miles and just recently the engine started shutting off at random times when driving, mostly when I hit a bump in the road.. I have researched this with the national highway safety board website and see there is a hundreds of complaints from feburary 2005 thru present.. there was an investigation opened in 2005 PE05-027 then it was transferred to an engineering analysis ( EA05-018) and then nothing.. I would like to know if the NHTSA dropped the ball on this?? there is no further answers to the complaint.. please advise me what do I have to do to get a N answer to this problem, which is a manufactures error that is going to get me killed or someone else.

- Palm Bay, FL, USA

Aug 252016

When fueling vehicle the fuel will unpredictable overflow and cause gasoline to pour on vehicle and unto the ground. Enough fuels overflows to cause puddles of gasoline to form on the ground. If you are standing close to intake it will spray fuel on person operating the pumb. The problem is causing rusting on vehicle.

- Grain Valley, MO, USA

Jul 142016

Gas comes spewing out of the tank when I'm filling up at the gas station. This only happens with I'm trying to "fill" the tank, at the end of the filling when the pump should stop due to the tank being full. It does not spew out if I'm just putting "some" gas in the tank. This happens at all gas stations so it seems as though this is an issue with the vehicle and not the pump. I've had this problem for several years and just found information on the NHTSA campaign number 09V003000 report receipt date 01/08/2009. This seems to be the same issue I'm having however I was told, today, that my VIN # is not included in the 2005 Dodge Durango vehicles listed in the recall. Safety recall number H45 - fuel tank inlet check valve. How do I go about possibly getting my vehicle added to the recall list for this issue? this has been an ongoing issue since I've owned the vehicle. I purchased it brand new in September of either 2004 or 2005.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Mar 032016

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. While refueling the vehicle, fuel spewed out of the filler neck onto the ground even though the fuel tank level was not to the full capacity. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 115,000.

- Polk City, FL, USA

Feb 012016

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that when filling the tank with fuel, the fuel pump would not automatically stop as intended. As a result, fuel overflowed and leaked from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the shut off valve was faulty and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 99,000.

- Big Timber, MT, USA

Jan 012016

Fuel keeps spitting back up the spout..

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Mar 302016

When putting gas in the vehicle it does not stop once full it will splash gas on the vehicle, person putting the gas in and will continue to spill onto the pavement. This happens every time you put gas in the vehicle.

- Lakeville, MN, USA

Jan 102016

Gas spilling and squirting out when refueling. This happens each and every time I refuel. I just bought this 2005 Dodge Durango 2 months ago. Gas spills and squirts on my clothes and feet. This is dangerous! please help me get this resolved before I catch on fire or set fire to someone else nearby. I just bought this vehicle at jrs auto sales in Tacoma, wa I bought this 2005 Dodge Durango on January 9, 2016 and gas has spitted out from day one since I bought it each and every time at various gas stations. It has stream out and squirted violently while I was bending down and got into my face and eye. Help please!

- Yelm, WA, USA

Mar 042015

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. While adding fuel to the vehicle, it spewed out of the tank. The failure occurred without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 56,000.

- Farmington, NM, USA

Nov 122015

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that the fuel tank filler tube inlet check valve was not closed as intended. As a result, fuel spilled out while refueling the vehicle. The failure occurred constantly. The vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 09V003000 (fuel system, gasoline), but the remedy failed to repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Edmonds, WA, USA

Jan 012012

When filling the gas tank (at any station) the check valve engages too early causing fuel to shoot out of the filler tube. Supposedly this was fixed but either a faulty one was installed or the work was never done (previous owner). Vehicle was also supposedly not covered under recall based on the VIN but matched the manufacture date but not serial number. No one has an answer why it is still doing this?

- Central City, IA, USA

Jan 162013

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. While refueling the vehicle, fuel spewed out of the filler neck without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the fuel pump module seal fractured and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Wenonah, NJ, USA

Jan 022013

Upon filling up the tank the fuel will spray out all over the place. I took it to the dealer and they stated there was a recall for this issue but it had already been done and even though it failed again it is my problem. I see 2006 and on have a unlimited time and mileage warranty for this issue. Number: 14-001-12 group: Fuel system date: January 20, 2012 subject: Fuel spit back during refueling due to faulty inlet check valve X39 (unlimited time and mileage warranty extension) overview: This bulletin involves replacing the fuel filler tube if the condition occurs. Models: 2006 - 2008 (hb) Durango 2007 - 2008 (hg) aspen note: This extended warranty bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a naturally aspirated gasoline engines. Symptom/condition: Some customers may experience a fuel spit back condition during a refueling event. Diagnosis: If the customer experiences the symptom/condition, proceed to the repair procedure. Parts required: Qty. Part no. Description ar (1) cnnzx390aa tube, fuel filler (4) 6500911 rivet, splash shield attaching

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jul 072014

When fueling, there is no shutoff so fuel goes everywhere. Dealership says problem was fixed but it is not fixed. It has been doing this since I purchased the vehicle. It is very unsafe and causes a wet slippery surface at gas pump, along with gas leakage down the side of vehicle, which has created rust now.

- Murrells Inlet, SC, USA

Dec 012008

I am making a complaint that Chrysler did not issue a recall based on NHTSA recall campaign number : 09V003000. I have a 2005 Dodge Durango that has had a defective inlet check valve in the fuel tank that has allowed gas to flow back up the fill line during filling of the tank. I had questioned the local dealership in the passed that there was a recall for this issue in vehicles of the year of my vehicle, but I was told this issue did not pertain to my vehicle since this issue was remedied on vehicles made after 01 October of that year. I told them mine was still having the problems listed. According to the recall number 09V003000, Chrysler was supposed to recall the vehicles built up to 11/30 of that year. According to what I have found out today this did not occur, they placed an extended warranty on this issue. So instead of informing dealerships and owners of the issue, they would only fix it if the owners had the issue of the check valve not working properly. Well, I have had the issue for almost the whole time I've had my vehicle(11/17/08), and I've brought it up to the local service shop a few times, and I was always told there was no listing of my vehicle requiring the repair to be done. This is quite frustrating because for years I have not been able to fill my gas tank up completely due to fuel coming back up the tube and spraying all over my clothes. Once I talked to a representative with Chrysler about the issue and the NHTSA number today I was informed about the extended warranty on the part, they said the identifier was (X48). Afterwards I contacted the local dealership to set up an appointment to have a diagnosis performed to determine if my vehicle had the problem. The dealership could not find anything relating to X48 extended warranty for my vehicle.

- Mannington, WV, USA

Oct 152015

Vehicle spits gas from fuel tank inlet & smells of fuel outside of the vehicle.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Nov 162015

When filling the gas tank, a large amount of fuel always shoots out of the filler neck and spills onto vehicle, ground, and objects around vehicle. Also the vehicle does not come with TPMS, however the TPMS warning light on the instrument panel stays on all the time. Also if the rear lift gate is opened the cargo light indicator on the instrument panel stays on until you open and close the lift gate a total of two times.

- Branson, MO, USA

Nov 012012

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. While refueling the vehicle, fuel suddenly overflowed from the fuel intake hole. The manufacturer was notified. The contact was informed that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 09V003000 (fuel system). The contact also indicated that the windshield wiper motor was inoperable. The cause of the failures were not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 75,000.

- Morganville, NJ, USA

Nov 082015

When filling car with gas it shoots out filler tube spilling gas on the side of the car and ground.

- Keller, TX, USA

Oct 012014

Constant fuel smell while driving and sitting still. Fuel spits back out filler when fueling. Rust through in left rear quarter panel. Problem has been ongoing for a couple of years. Getting worse.there is a recall for this problem but does not cover my VIN.

- Waterbury, CT, USA