CarComplaints.com Notes: The second generation Durango was introduced in 2004 and instantly came under fire for, well, catching on fire.

The problems didn't stop there, however. Owners of the recalled vehicles complained about being treated unfairly and given take-it-or-leave-it low ball settlement offers. "They offered me $2000 under NADA retail as a settlement," said one owner, "and have been rude and hostile to deal with." Nothing says awesome service like treating your customers rudely after their cars have already caught on fire.

2005 Dodge Durango fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Durango:

2005 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 12 of 23)

Mar 072011

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

When re-fueling the gas tank on my 2005 Dodge Durango, once the tank is full and the gas pump shuts off, excess gas spills out of filler tube all down the side of my truck and the ground. Took my vehicle to the dealership and they confirmed that the fuel tank check valve is sticking and not releasing properly.

- Greenfield, WI, USA

Nov 072010

Durango 8-cyl

Gas tank inlet valve is not shutting off, resulting in gas overflow when filling up, a potential fire hazard.

- Titusville, FL, USA

Jan 152010

Durango

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. The contact was refueling the vehicle when the fuel tank overflowed at the end of fueling and began spilling onto the ground. The contact stated there was a recall under NHTSA campaign id number: 09V003000 (fuel system, gasoline:storage:tank assembly). The manufacturer was contacted and advised that the VIN was not included in the recall. No further assistance was offered. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact stated that he was unable to fill the fuel tank with gasoline and could only refuel with small amounts of gasoline at a time. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Temple, GA, USA

Jan 012011

Durango 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. The contact was refueling the vehicle when the nozzle shut off and gasoline began spewing from the vehicle filler neck. The contact assumed the failure was caused by the fuel pump and the vehicle was taken to a second gasoline station where the failure recurred. The vehicle was then taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the molded valve and control valve was failing and the tank would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was contacted but offered no assistance. The vehicle was not included in the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number: 05V034000 (fuel system, gasoline:storage:tank assembly:filler pipe and cap). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 97,605. Updated 03/31/11 the consumer stated after a few phone calls, Chrysler agreed to pay for the defect, minus 150. Updated 05/23/11

- Newton , IA, USA

Feb 252011

Durango

Every time I fill up the fuel tank on my 2005 Dodge Durango, at least a gallon spills out of the filler neck when it has finished fueling. This could easily start a fire or explosion and could seriously injure people. Chrysler has refused to look at the vehicle stating that it is not covered in a previous recall for the exact same issue.

- Mooresville, IN, USA

Dec 202010

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

2005 Dodge Durango fuel spills at gas pump.

- East Bridgewater, MA, USA

Jan 202010

Durango

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that whenever she added fuel to the vehicle the tank would overflow and fuel would splash out on the person filling the tank as well as the vehicle and ground. This situation causes a dangerous situation because of the gasoline spillage. The contact called the dealership and was told that the vehicle was not included in recalls for fuel system, gasoline:storage:tank assembly:filler pipe and cap). The vehicle was not repaired when the complaint was filed. The contact filed a complaint with manufacturer but she was still awaiting a response. The current mileage was 100,000. The failure mileage was approximately 128,000.

- Rockford, IL, USA

Jun 232007

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

My 2005 Dodge Durango spills gas every time we fill it up. It has been doing this for three years. Dodge has a recall for this, but my vehicle is not part of it. This is very dangerous. If I fix it myself, it will cost over $700.

- Plainfield, IL, USA

Feb 222011

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

I have a 2005 Dodge Durango and when the fuel tank is filled up, before the auto shut off engages on the fuel pump, the fuel tank spews fuel back out of the inlet on the vehicle. This occurs nearly every time the fuel tank is filled up where we rely on the auto shut off to signal when the tank is full. This causes fuel to spill onto the ground and down the side of my vehicle, and at times onto myself or my wife, which can be a safety hazard. No parts have been replaced as the dealer quoted several hundred dollars and stated although there is a recall for this exact issue, the recall is VIN specific and ours does not qualify.

- Martinsville, IL, USA

Feb 172011

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

I have two safety concerns about our 2005 Dodge Durango. First, during the end of fuel filling, as the vapor lock on the pump engages and shuts the valve to the pump off, gas immediately spews from the filler neck, as if the tank depressurized. It has happened to me three (3) times now. This is a major safety concern! the result could cause a fire resulting in serious injury or worse! the other issue that I have a major concern with is that the vehicle stalls during low speed turning. If at an intersection and attempting a turn, the vehicle may stall and cause an accident. This has happened to me more than ten (10) times in the eight months that we have owned the vehicle. This too is a major concern as it can also cause serious injury or worse to not only myself, wife, young children, and others that may become involved in an accident if it where to happen! I have reported the issues to Dodge and their response to me is to have the vehicle diagnosed. I do plan on doing this however, while researching the issues online, I have found a many numbers of vehicles (same year, make, and model) with the exact same issues. This leads me to believe that this is not isolated and should be cause for safety concerns throughout the nation for the vehicles/owners.

- Stephens City, VA, USA

Feb 122011

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

While fueling the vehicle, gas leaks out onto the undercarriage without exiting out of the top of the fuel tank filler neck and well before the tank is full. It is as though something internal to the fuel neck is restricting the incoming fuel and forcing it out. The leaking only occurs during fueling. The fuel never comes out of the top of the filler neck, the only indicator of a problem to the person who is fueling the vehicle is a large pool of gas under the vehicle and the strong smell of gasoline.

- Manassas, VA, USA

Feb 122011

Durango

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that when he filled the fuel tank, the fuel would spit back out. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who stated that the failure was caused by the fuel inlet link. The contact referenced recall 09V003000 (fuel system, gasoline: Storage: Tank assembly) but was informed that the vehicle was not included. The current and failure mileages were 34,500.

- Plymouth, MA, USA

Feb 102011

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

I own a 2005 Dodge Durango - every time I fill-up at the gas station, fuel spurts out when the pump finishes.

- Hayward, CA, USA

Jan 012011

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Every time I fill up the vehicle there is a tremendous amount of gas that splashes out before the pump turns off. It goes all over the vehicle and the ground.

- Benton, AR, USA

Durango

Fuel spit back out of the fuel filler neck when filling up gas tank. This began occurring in December 2010 and occurs 100% of the time the tank is filled. Estimated.5 - 1 gallon of fuel is spilled each time. This issue is similar to existing NHTSA recall campaign 09V003000 / recall recall 09V-003 /recall 05V-034. I called my local Dodge dealer and they stated my VIN # is not covered by the recalls stated above. This is a serious safety concern. My Durango has a build date of March 2005 and the recalls above only covers Durangos built through November 2004. I am asking the investigation be reopened to determine if the existing recalls need to be expanded to cover additional build dates/VIN numbers.

Feb 042011

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Fuel tank overflows every time I fill the tank. There is a recall for the 2005 Dodge Durango for this problem however my VIN # is not included in the recall. Chrysler states I must pay to have the vehicle diagnosed which is non refundable.

- Croydon, PA, USA

Jan 312011

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Purchase 2005 Durango 3 weeks ago. Filled the gas tank 4 times and each time gas shoots out of the gas tank after fueling stops. Gas went on the vehicle, ground and person fueling. It doesn't matter how soon you stop fuelling. Contact Chrysler regarding the issue and known similar recall for other VIN numbers. Was told it wasn't covered and I would need to take it to a dealership and pay for diagnostic fee and repair fee. Did state that it may be covered under warranty that we purchased, but would have to pay 200 deductible. I explained that we didn't want to pay for a Dodge defect and was told that it wasn't a defect. I explained that many other vehicles - that weren't a part of the recall- were having this issue and that it should be looked into before someone catches on fire or catches a gas station on fire. I was ignored and told that if I wanted it fixed, I should take it to a dealership and be happy I have a warranty to pay for it.

- Independence, MO, USA

Jan 242011

Durango

When filling up the gas tank, the tank overflows and spews out gasoline prior to the gas pump shutting off. This occurs when manually down the trigger on the gas pump and waiting for the pump to shut off automatically. I did not lock the gas pump trigger into place and was not attempting to "top off" the gas tank. My understanding is that some 2005 Durangos were recalled because of a similar issue. My vehicle shows no recalls but clearly has a safety issue relating to the gas tank.

- Elkin, NC, USA