CarComplaints.com Notes: The second generation Durango was introduced in 2004 and instantly came under fire for, well, catching on fire.

The problems didn't stop there, however. Owners of the recalled vehicles complained about being treated unfairly and given take-it-or-leave-it low ball settlement offers. "They offered me $2000 under NADA retail as a settlement," said one owner, "and have been rude and hostile to deal with." Nothing says awesome service like treating your customers rudely after their cars have already caught on fire.

2005 Dodge Durango steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Durango:

2005 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Aug 042016

Durango

When in motion, vehicle's RPM will drop to 0 (randomly, no way to tell when coming), along with a loss of power steering and various electronics within the vehicle. Problem is usually fixed by restarting vehicle, but it has been very dangerous - especially on the highway. Has happened at least 5 times during my ownership of the vehicle (4 years)

- Belvidere, IL, USA

Jul 012016

Durango

When I unlock the doors with the remote or open unlocked doors, the shift motor activates, I can hear it engaging and disengaging. There is a delay upon starting my truck before the drive gear kick in and I can proceed to drive vehicle. When I make a sharp turn going forward or backing...the rear tires lock up. The AWD lights flickers on/off. Constant smell like something is burning.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

May 252016

Durango

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. While the vehicle was being operated, the vsc sensor warning light illuminated and the power steering suddenly failed. The steering wheel became extremely difficult to maneuver. In addition, the transmission switched to all wheel drive and the speed drastically reduced. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but the failure was unable to be duplicated. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 175,000.

- Ofallan, MO, USA

Jan 072014

Durango

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that while driving at 40 mph and when making a turn, the steering wheel seized. In addition, the transmission made a clicking noise. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Tonca City, OK, USA

Oct 132015

Durango

While driving at variable speeds my 2005 Dodge Durango slt 5.7L truck, without warning, will shut-off making it hard to stop & steer to safety. This has happened several times but the most recent & severe time was yesterday, I was at a speed of 55 mph on 695 when my Durango shut-off without warning. I was able to pull onto the shoulder without causing a accident. My Dodge was able to restart without warning lights flashing or indication but will randomly shut-off without warning at least 4-6 times a week while driving.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Aug 192015

Durango

I turned left sharply into a parking spot and the vehicle completely stalled on me upon doing this. I lost all engine power, steering and brake control. I was able to restart the vehicle immediately and park the vehicle. For the previous 3 weeks or so the vehicle has sputtered and been sluggish when turning sharply into parking spots or around sharp corners but has never stalled. 8/19/15 was the first incident of the vehicle completely stalling.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Jul 232015

Durango quit runing wile going 45 mph

- Granville, NY, USA

Aug 162005

Durango

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. While driving at 40 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning and the steering wheel seized. The failure recurred twice per week. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Baltomore , MD, USA

Jun 012015

Durango

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. While driving at various speeds, the contact noticed an abnormal clicking noise from beneath the vehicle. The svc, 4WD, and 4lo warning lights illuminated. The engine revved independently. When the accelerator pedal was depressed, the vehicle failed to accelerate. When making a turn, the steering wheel seized and required excessive force. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who replaced the tie rod and front end suspension, but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 183,000. Updated 09/25/15

- Brockton, MA, USA

Jun 122013

Durango

Engine stalls with no warning, affecting braking and steering while moving, has happened in heavy traffic, is intermittent and is a huge safety concern.

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Nov 032014

Durango

My 2005 Dodge Durango hemi has started to behave oddly. First...it started with not being able to lift the gate in the back? just locked up and we could not open it for months. It then progressed to an issue with the remote not working to unlock anything. We took it to the dealership who quoted us at $350 + to fix the remote...ummm no. Since then I have been opening my door using the key. Late last year I began to notice that the tires would lock up and not move forward or backwards when completing a sharp turn (ie: Turning into the driveway) this was followed by the 4lo light flashing on and off on the dashboard while driving. Then I started hearing the truck actually attempt to switch itself in and out of AWD! this creates a crazy clicking and shifting sound in the wheel well area on the drivers side. This occurs randomly while I an driving as well as when the car is parked and off" we took it to pep boys whom could not find anything wrong with it" I am concerned that I will attempt to make a fast sharp turn into traffic and the tires will lock up leaving me screwed. I have been reading online that there are thousands of people having this same exact problem and whenever anyone has the dealership replace something...it continues to happen. I think Dodge needs to recall all of these vehicles as they are a safety threat to families!!

- Centennial, CO, USA

Feb 172015

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

This has happened on multiple occasions!!!!! it happens at any speed, the truck will lose all power and shut off without warning. I can't steer or do anything but put the truck in park and restart the truck. I have taken it in the be looked at and nothing can be figured out as it does it randomly. I have four children and this last time we were turning and the truck just shut off while another vehicle was coming down the street. I have researched this and sees others are having the same issue. I have had some of the suggestions done such as replacing the egr valve and flushing the system. I need an answer as I do not feel safe!!!!!!!!!!

- Des Moines, IA, USA

Sep 092014

Durango

The Dodge Durango 2005 model in my case will shut off very often now when the steering wheel is turn...this often times happen when pulling in or backing out of a parking lot and the vehicle would take up 5-20mins to restart.this happen when the vehicle is cold or warm it doesn't matter.I have seen online this is a wide spread problem with the Durangos and I'm wondering why are folks allowed to suffer through this issue in the mean time the dealership pretend as if they're not aware of the issue which is clearly a lie from all the complaint I've seen online about this very issue...going back for years....

- Coral Springs, FL, USA

Nov 052014

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Ignition switch locked up this is the 10th time that it has done this and I don't know what to do the dealership said there is a recall on my car but I don't know.

- San Marcos, TX, USA

Aug 252014

Durango

My 2005 Dodge Durango shifts back and forth between 4WD and AWD randomly. The 4WD light will come on and the vehicle shifts into lock without warning, making driving difficult and backups jumpy and jerky. It will shift back and run properly, but does not stay functioning long. There is a 'drag' feeling to the vehicle when it slips into 4WD. This has made driving the Durango a concern and nearly tripled the amount of gas used for similar mileage. I am concerned that this could be a real safety issue. It goes into 4WD-lo and the tires lock up. If this were to happen at 70 mph, this could cause a spin out. When stopped at a light waiting to turn left the car occasionally 'shifts' without notice and then it is difficult to make the turn. When expecting the car to move properly on a busy road, this ''sluggish' response is a serious problem. Pulling out with plenty of time to turn before the light changes isn't a guarantee that you will actually make the turn before the light turns red. I want to be able to trust my vehicle, which I used to be able to do. I have read numerous accounts online about this same problem occurring for other 2005 Durango owners. Clearly, this is not an isolated incident unique to my vehicle. I have also seen reports that people having this same issue are also having remote door lock issues, which makes me wonder if there is also an electrical issue with the vehicle.

- Clinton Township, MI, USA

Apr 162014

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Vehicle switches to 4lock automatically while driving at high and low speeds. Vehicle becomes sluggish and makes it impossible to turn. At this point I fear for my life. After reading so many complaints of the same issue. I see I'm not alone.

- Clinton Twp, MI, USA

Aug 102014

Durango 8-cyl

Vehicle stalled while pulling into a parking stall. When that happens you lose complete power and it is extremely difficult to steer. The Dodge dealer claims to have no idea of what I'm talking about nor did it do the same to them when they were driving. When they called to talk about fixing some issues with the vehicle they were trying to charge me $959 to change an alternator that is working at 90% and the efr. This does not guarantee the problem will be fixed. These are 2 (two) codes their machine is throwing. Their machine does not indicate anything about stalling.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Jul 042014

Durango

While I'm driving down the road it could be the interstate or in town, doing 30 to 55 miles per hour depending on where I am, my husband's engine light will turn on in his 2005 Dodge Durango after the wheel begins stiffening and my lights all shut off and I am costing into opposing traffic lane or in the middle of traffic with my 4 children and myself, sometimes it is just me and once it was with my husband and children. The engine light will stay solid and all of this happens after when SUV will cut off with no warning, instantly my steering wheel gets stiff and I cannot turn, my lights go off and the radio and headlights shut off. I have no control over the vehicle at the time. This us happening more and more. This also has happened when I am coming to a stoplight or a stop sign other times when I'm coming out of a stop and the SUV is still running at that time. Very unpredictable and dangerous. No warnings, he has had the SUV 1 year.

- Township Of Benton Harbor, MI, USA

Aug 292013

Durango

The steering wheel locks and the car is not able to be started.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jun 232014

Durango 8-cyl

As I approached my vehicle and used the remote to open the doors, I heard a noise under the vehicle like gears were shifting on their own without the vehicle even running. I started the vehicle and started driving. When I went into a parking lot and turned left to park, it was like someone was putting on the brakes making it difficult for me to turn and to accelerate--felt like I was in 4WD despite not shifting to 4WD from AWD. I nearly hit the car next to mine because I had to accelerate so hard to get into the spot without getting hit from the rear. I turned the car off and let it sit for 1/2 hour and restarted it and drove home. When I let the car sit in the garage, I was in the garage and heard gears shifting on their own while the vehicle was not running. This has already happened 3 times and it is quite scary! if I try to turn left and this happens on the road, I could get into a serious accident.

- West Bloomfield, MI, USA