2006 Dodge Durango engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Durango:

2006 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 161016

Durango

I was driving during a rainstorm and my 2006 Dodge Durango started sputtering and stalled on the highway. We were fortunate enough to get the vehicle to the side of the road. After my car was towed & looked at by a mechanic I was told that water was running down the windshield & dripping directly on top of the air intake. The mechanic told me it was a common problem for the 2004 through 2006 models. After doing some research I found this to be true. I spoke with Dodge and they told me that it was a design flaw and I could purchase a replacement updated cowl part # 55362453ak this part is supposed to divert the water away from the intake. I also found out that no bulletin has been issued for the public. In my opinion a vehicle that stalls because of the rain is an issue. It typically happens when the vehicle hits a 100000 miles due to the weather stripping failing. I also found out that when this happens the engines can become waterlogged and the engine can blow a rod through the motor when trying to start the car after the rain. Any research into the second generation Dodge Durangos should produce more information including electrical problems. Please look into this issue as I would hate for someone to lose a life because their vehicle stalled.

- Fitchburg, MA, USA

Aug 262016

Durango

I am experiencing a problem with the engine cutting off in full drive situations, all of sudden my check engine light pops up and that's my pre warning that my truck is getting ready to turn off. It is hesitant sometimes and waits till I am complete stop or sometimes it totally shuts down while driving in traffic. Very scary.

- Tolleson, AZ, USA

May 152016

Durango

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Durango. While driving various speeds, the vehicle stalled and was able to be restarted. The check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 115,118.

- Scotts Valley, CA, USA

Jun 252016

Durango

Driving vehicle and it started to stall. Felt like the front end was ready to give out. Vehicle has been at the Dodge dealership where it was purchased brand new. Mechanic is unable to determine the problem. All major maintenance and repairs have been at this dealership. Vehicle has 214,000 miles, but has always been reliable. Can't understand why it has taken a week to diagnose the problem. Had vehicle towed by aaa to dealership.

- Slidell, LA, USA

Jun 142010

Durango

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Durango. Whenever the contact refueled the vehicle to its full capacity, fuel would spew out onto the ground and the contact's clothing. In addition, the engine warning indicator illuminated continuously when the vehicle was operable. The contact replaced the fuel cap; however, the failure persisted. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jun 122015

Durango

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Durango. While driving 65 mph, there were a loud knocking noise coming from the engine, the vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that a lifter or a pring from the engine caused the knocking noise. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 135,000.

- Denver, CO, USA

Sep 132015

Durango

As I braked to park the Durango, the engine abruptly stalled. Not sure why it stalled, but I know there was a problem with the 2004-2005 Durangos where the engine would stall during sharp turns while braking.

- Camp Hill, PA, USA

Jul 152014

Durango

While driving down the highway, without any warning, my 2006 Dodge Durango stalled out. I still had radio and power steering, so I pulled over to the side of the road. I restarted my Durango, the check engine light was on, but was able to continue without any further issues. The same type of issue happens sporadically, regardless of weather or speed. There are times, after sitting at a light or stop sign, when you press the gas to go the gears are slow to engage and actually start moving. Sometimes the Durango shifts roughly as you accelerate or decelerate. As time has gone on the problem has become more persistent. I finally took my Durango in to our mechanic and he replaced the egr valve and the throttle position sensor. Within 2 weeks of these parts being replaced, my Durango again began stalling out. I did have the Durango stall out twice, back to back, losing all power in the vehicle, including power steering. I managed to get home and called the mechanic. This time he replaced the throttle control module. The Durango is still stalling out and sometimes very slow to engage gears when starting off from a stopped position. This problem was supposedly address in the 2004-2005 models and corrected. I am afraid to drive my Durango as it is not reliable; this is an accident waiting to happen. Clearly the problem has not been fixed.

- Springfield, OH, USA

Jul 172015

Durango

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Durango. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V313000 (air bags); however, the part needed to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. In addition, while driving at 30 mph, the vehicle seized without warning. The contact was able to merge over to the shoulder and restart the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 143,000.

- Santa Clara, CA, USA

Mar 032015

Durango

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Durango. While driving at 45 mph, the engine stalled. The vehicle was towed to a dealer. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 165,000.

- Ashland , TN, USA

May 012008

Durango

Vehicle ran hot on this date, follwing the next day itshowed no problem. For the past 2 year at a stand still for about 5-10 minutes vehicle gage monitor is going up showing signs of running hot. I would imediately shut the engine off for about 1 minute. Then crank back up. The gage would go down back to normal status. If I come to another stop at a stop light it will go up again. Took vehicle to the shop several times to get it checked, accessor finds nothing wrong with it. It's a funny thing winter months my SUV would never run hot. Here in South Carolina it is getting hot and the problem has now started again. I have had 3 to 4 incidents with my vehicle running hot 2015 and is sure more are to come. As usual I shut the engine off to make the gage go back to normal. And yes the running hot light does come on. We just don't understand what is going on. I would like to know if there are others having the same problem and what should I do to fix it.

- Cheraw, SC, USA

Jul 162013

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Approximately during summer of 2013, upon starting engine, the ignition would "stick" when key was turned forward. Durango would have to be turned off and key taken out of ignition switch to try it again. Then, upon shifting into reverse and backing up, the vehicle would come to an abrupt halt and be immovable for a time, usually until putting into park and re-starting vehicle. This is when the malfunction indicator light came on. We had to have vehicle towed at which time the wheels were locked in place, causing black skid marks from its point of tow to tow truck. The auto shop replaced the emergency brake which was "stuck or locked in position". malfunction indicator light went off temporarily. It came back on again in August, 2014. Took to auto shop to diagnose. After $677.74 dollars in repairs, light still remains on.

- Freeport, PA, USA

Mar 122013

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

I have a 2006 Dodge Durango, bought it used about 4 years ago. About a year and half ago, approximately March of 2013, the vehicle started to stall while driving. It happened at all speeds and after it happening multiple times we figured out that it happened when it was wet/raining out. This is extremely scary and dangerous when going 70mph on the highway...to have your vehicle jerk numerous times and then completely shutoff (aka no power at all!). we have spent a few thousand dollars since spring of 2013 trying to fix the issue. We worked closely with our dealer to figure out the exact problem...figured out it was electrical (possibly when the windshield wiper are used...)but that was about as far as we got. Some of the things they found and/or fixed or replaced are as follows: Wiring that was frayed, re-ground numerous wires, replaced a handful of sensors, resealed connections between electrical components and main module (as well as resealed the boxes themselves since water was found in them), replaced the electrical module ($2K), and replaced entire electrical box(which included having to re-wire)...found a used one since brand new would have been $1200!. I have recently seen that there was a petition to the government to investigate (and hopefully recall) vehicles that have situations similar to what I have described above but they reference vehicles manufactured 2007 and forward but our 2006 is having the same issues!! since it has been to the dealer last (less than a month ago) we have not had the problem but there was a stretch over the winter where it didn't happen at all either so I am not convinced it is fixed...it seems the dealer mechanic is about out of ideas and so are we...

- Edgar, WI, USA

Apr 152012

Durango

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 45 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle was restarted as normal. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. In addition, the contact stated that the vehicle jerked intermittently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer but the failure was unable to be duplicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 107,000.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Feb 062014

Durango

1996 Dodge Durango. I have 2006 Dodge Durango limited 5.7 liter hemi - I bought used car salesman it in December 2012. In February of 214 we started having a problem with the engine cutting off while driving after reading several different internet forums I discovered the engine failure with my Dodge Durango was a common problem. Like others I have taken it in to our mechanic's because the check engine light had come on. We always got oil changes and regular maintenance done at our mechanic's because we thought they would know the car best and be able to inform us of any important recalls or possible problems. I asked him about the problem, he in turned told me that he knew about the Dodge Durango engine failure problem. He also said Dodge knows about it, but there has been no recall for this problem. I am afraid that someone is going to get killed on the road because the engine turns off at any time. It is a same that Dodge is pulling the same thing as General Motors has done. Pleaase lets fix this before someone does get killed. So I am here with my 2006 Dodge Durango parked in my drive just waiting for recall. It is getting closer because yesterday they just recalled the 2005,2006,2007 Jeep because Chrysler said on Tuesday that it was recalling an undisclosed number of older Jeep S.U.V.S to correct an ignition-related stalling problem similar to the deadly flaw that has consumed General Motors this year. How also owns Dodge so I know they know about the Dodge problems. At this point my senator richard blumenthal office can not do a thing, because I have not been hurt or killed as of yet. It feels like.

- Southington, CT, USA

Aug 102011

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Durango. While driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact was able to restart the vehicle and take it to the dealer, but the failure could not be duplicated. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000. Updated 08/27/14 updated 09/16/2014

- Leflie, MI, USA

May 312012

Durango 8-cyl

I have two issues with my Durango. During fueling the pump does not shut off causing an overflow of gas on the ground, on my shoes, etc. This is an ongoing issue that has been happening since we purchased the vehicle. My mechanic thinks it is a sensor issue but Dodge has not recalled the vehicle to fix it. The second issue is I can take my key out of the ignition while the engine and ignition are in the run position, lock the car and take the key with me and the engine will run like the key is in the ignition.

- Fort Myers, FL, USA

Apr 012013

Durango

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that while activating the turn signals, the hazard lights would activate instead. The contact stated that the failure was intermittent. The contact also mentioned that on multiple occasions while driving at various speeds, the vehicle would suddenly stall. In addition, while attempting to stop the vehicle by depressing the brake pedal, the brakes had malfunctioned increasing the stopping distant needed to stop the vehicle. Also, when the vehicle was in park, the vehicle would roll away. The dealer repaired the brakes but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Sep 022013

Durango

When we unlock/lock the doors we can hear a clicking noise under the truck. Sometimes while driving or taking a tight turn I can feel the 4X4 kick in and the tires lock up. Sometimes the 4X4 dash indicator will flicker on and off while driving normally and sometimes the red neutral light indicator by the 4X4 switch comes on. Usually shutting the truck off and on again makes that go away.

- Fitchburg, WI, USA

Mar 162011

Durango

This vehicle dies randomly going down the road. When it is wet out it is worse. With no warning the vehicle just stalls. During this you loss all controls of the vehicle. But you can turn it over and it will start right back up. I have talked to other people with the same year make and model vehicles and there Durango's are doing the exact same thing. This is a major problem that needs be taken care of before someone is killed. I have had it to a Dodge dealer ship and they said that they have had similar complaints but are unable to figure out what it is. I just want to be safe in my vehicle!

- Leslie, MI, USA