2008 Dodge Grand Caravan electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments (Page 32 of 38)

Aug 242014

Grand Caravan

Van shuts off while driving loses all power, wipers come on horns starts going off. Now today van is in driveway parked, I'm in the house and the alarm and wipers go off. Call dealer they have no clue. People could get killed do they want a General Motors issue on their hands as from reading on line this seems to be a major issue with this make and model.

- Lawn, PA, USA

Mar 192012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

We were pulling out of the parking lot and after a couple hundred of yards the vehicle just turned off without warning and all control was lost. Although there was no accident we were alarmed because what if there was a car immediately behind us. After that incident this problem has occurred several times which I think is a safety issue. I hope this will be addressed by the manufacturer.

- Darien, IL, USA

Nov 092013

Grand Caravan

The van completely shut down while I was in the middle of making a U turn. The engine, the electrical just stopped working and the steering wheel got really tight but I was able to glide to the side of the road. I turned the key to the off position put the van in park and then I was able to restart it. I took it to Dodge and they repaired the power steering saying that was the problem. Not so, this has happened 3 times since the first and nothing has been done to repair the problem. Today is 8/29/2014 and I am stranded because it won't turn on at all. Waiting for aaa.

- Beaumont, CA, USA

Aug 162014

Grand Caravan

This is the third time this has happened and it is unbelievable that there has not been a recall on all of these systems. I own a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan and originally reported an issue over a year ago with the car losing control of all functions I.e. windshield wiper running and spraying, horn blaring, locks locking and unlocking, lights flashing etc. It has since happened again twice in the past month. Does it take someone having to die to have this recall happen. It has been documented time and time again on thousands of vehicles.

- Ellicott City, MD, USA

Aug 162014

Grand Caravan

Vehicle started honking horn, windshield wipers and sprayer on front and back we're going and doors would not unlock. It would not stop I had to drive down the road with this happening. At the same time the blower for the vent stopped working. Once home I had to disconnect the battery for it to stop.

- Annandale, MN, USA

Jul 042012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

I have noticed that the rear A/C blows hot air while it is set on the A/C position. At that time my kids; 2 years old, 5 years old where apparently sweating and did not know it was not normal while the 12 years old kept repeatedly saying it is warm here at the back. I inspected why it is warm and noticed that the rear ac blows warm air on A/C position while the front A/C is blowing cold air. First, I thought it is the rear A/C blend door but it is the "expansion valve" it has visible corrosion and it is located under the rear right wheel fender where it is subjected to dirt, salt and road debris...I think Dodge/Chrysler needs to fix these design issue since this could be a fatal issue if I did not know it and the older kid never complaint about it. Since then, I have only used the front ac and Chrysler charge a fortune to correct the issue. This is very dangerous situation if you are traveling on a long drive. It is the equivalent of leaving your child in a hot car on a warm days of summer specially in July. I hope we can consider this to be a recall.

- Haymarket, VA, USA

Mar 232014

Grand Caravan

T* the contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that while traveling at approximately 60 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact applied the emergency brake and was able to restart the vehicle. The failure recurred intermittently. In addition, the contact stated that the brakes failed. The contact also stated that the ABS warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 14V373000 (electrical system). The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Tustin, CA, USA

Feb 042014

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that while driving at 35 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact stated that after restarting the vehicle would operate as normal. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and the contact was informed that the vehicle was not included in the NHTSA campaign number: 14V37300(electrical system). The failure mileage was 63,000.

- Downers Grove, IL, USA

May 042012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Van has ignition problem that causes lights and engine not to start. Had many issues with ignition with repairs had re key and turn off the alarm. No luck spent over $4000. Problem still exist. Please help.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Jul 182014

Grand Caravan

My van shuts off without notice - no warning light, no hesitation - just shuts off. I took to fullerton dealership - car was returned to Monday 07/14. I asked for the part they fixed, they refused to give it to me. Today, 07/18 while driving thru a parking lot, the van shut off again. This is a life and death situation as I could get rammed from behind and myself and children may be killed. I spent $580.73 of money I use to feed my children because I need transportation and it is not fixed. I want my funds returned and I want my car fixed or I want another car. I desperately need your help

- Somerset, NJ, USA

Jul 122014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

2010 @ 40,000 miles, totally integrated power module (tipm) replaced due to electrical issues with door locks (under warranty). 2014 @ 124,000 miles tipm short again starting with the front blower motor. Tipm needs replaced again. Estimate $900, no parts available due to massive back order and no timeline of when parts will be available. Advised not to drive vehicle due to safety issues (I.e. random airbag deployment, loss of ignition, fire hazard). Main vehicle for family of five, must drive daily for work and family appointments.

- North Royalton, OH, USA

Mar 172014

Grand Caravan

I was picking up my daughter and opened the door and the horn started blowing, the wipers were going, and the window washer fluid was spraying out. It finally stopped and was fine but has happened multiple times since one time even when I was driving down the rd and now I've had to disconnect the battery but now I can't connect it again because it won't stop going crazy like that.

- Fremont, OH, USA

Jul 112014

Grand Caravan

The windshield wipers on my 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan will not turn off and my blinkers, spray, rear windshield wipers, and brights will not turn on. I have tried resetting the battery and this accomplished nothing. It has been diagnosed as the tipm, which I understand is hard to get your hands on, and the price of replacement is extremely high. It appears to be a very common problem with this make and model of Caravan. I have had several electronic issues including windows that do not roll down, doors that do not unlock, key that gets stuck in the ignition, and sliding doors that stop working.

- Newport, MI, USA

Nov 032012

Grand Caravan

TL- the contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that the key would remain stuck in the ignition switch and fail to power on or off the vehicle. In addition, when driving the steering wheel seized and the vehicle stalled. The contact mentioned that the speedometer, the tripometer, the cruise control and the power doors failed. The power door locks only operated when the vehicle was powered off and the security door lock feature activated intermittently. The contact also stated that both the accelerator and brake pedal traveled to the floorboard as a result the vehicle delayed to come to a stop. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the control module, the transmission leak on the transmission line, the oil pan and the molding needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and informed that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 14V373000 (electrical system) and NHTSA campaign id number: 11V394000 (air bags and equipment). The approximate failure mileage was unknown. Djr

- Edelstein, IL, USA

Jun 252014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Electrical issues. Upon starring, car wipers will not turn off, windows will not open or close, car does not shift right / bucks, car has difficulty shutting off, the gps/tv flickers and the cd eject runs constantly even when the car is off. Had it looked at by local non Dodge mechanic and was told not to dive it as it was probably the tipm. Called the dealer and described the issue and they gave me a service date of 14 days in the future to even look at the issue. Internet sources say Chrysler will need 30 - 60 days to order back ordered part. Its scary to think that some folks would need to drive their car for 2 weeks in this condition before it can even be seen and even longer as they wait for a part. I don't think its safe to drive, if this had failed while driving I would be very concerned.

- Havertown, PA, USA

Jun 182014

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated while driving various speeds, the vehicle stalled without warning. The dealer made the contact aware of recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000 (electrical system). However, the VIN was not included in the recall. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Detroit , MI, USA

Jun 282014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

While my vehicle was parked at a campground, I click my key fob to unlock the door and the rear windshield wiper started going off. Tried to start the vehicle and it would not start, no lights nothing completely dead. The wiper eventually stopped. A few hours later, still parked with no keys in it, the windshield wiper fluid and wipers started after I clicked the unlock button on the key fob again. The fluid kept shooting until it ran out of fluid. Then a few hours later with again no keys in it or key fob use the horn began blaring. Then the lights and wipers went off as well. Finally I was able to get the battery disconnected and it stopped. I reconnected the battery two hours later only to roll up my windows and the horn immediately started going off. I had it towed to the dealership down the street and I am now waiting on the results. I'm glad my family was not with and/ or I was driving.

- North Mankato, MN, USA

Jun 282014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Vehicle started accelerating unintentionally with engine going to high RPM. Driver was driving at 45 mph as vehicle randomly took off. Vehicle reached close to 85 mph with the brake pedal pressed to the floor. Driver avoided a near collision with another vehicle. Driver turned the ignition off in order to stop the vehicle. Vehicle had two people inside during the incident and two witnesses following the vehicle behind, in another car. Witnesses described seeing the Dodge Caravan take off suddenly beyond the legal speed limit, with smoke pouring out from the brakes and the brake lights on. Driver described that he felt the throttle pedal physically stuck and the vehicleż's RPM increasing, even while pressing and pumping on the brake pedal. After this incident and doing some research, we have found numerous complains online with similar situations. The Dodge Caravan, in this incident, does not have any aftermarket floor mats as Dodge claims to be the cause of unintentional acceleration in similar occurrences that have been reported to Dodge. The driver, passenger, and the witness are willing to make a statement, if necessary.

- Mundelein, IL, USA

Jun 252014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Since I can't remember the dates of the other incidents I will start with yesterday June 25, 2014. I drove all morning running here and there and everything was fine. I stopped at the post office to mail a package and could not restart the vehicle. The van engine did not even turn over. The dash is blank except for the mileage. I called aaa for a tow and they found that the van was stuck in park and would not budge out of park. So it is still at the post office until we can figure out how to get it out of park. Other issues. A few months ago, in the winter of 2013, the van was in my garage and it would not start. I thought it was the battery and so I turned off the radio and heat and tried it again and it started. This happened every morning with me taking my child to school for about a week. It never did it for my husband. I think I told the dealer about it on my next oil change visit, but they said they can only check it when it is happening. Another time last summer (2013), the horn, and wipers and wiper fluid just started going off by themselves as I tried to start the van. I took the key out and pressed the door open and lock buttons to see if it would stop and it did. I tried to start the van again and it did it again. Repeated the same open and lock procedure and it stopped. I waited a few minutes to start the van and it did not do it again. The following day as I was driving on a busy road, highway 278, it did it again. I had to pull over and I turned off the van did the open and lock button on the key and it stopped. Of course it never repeated for my husband or ever again.

- Douglasville, GA, USA

Oct 142010

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated while driving over an uneven road surface approximately 25 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle restarted immediately and resumed in operation. The failure recurred four times when encountering a small bump in the road. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the ignition switch was replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000.

- Troy, MI, USA