2010 Dodge Grand Caravan electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2010 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments (Page 19 of 20)

Sep 252012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The car shifts hard. When first started in the morning it ruins up high prm's before the car shifts. The car transmission sometimes fails to engage when I attempt to pass a car on the highway or when I just want to speed up. This can happen when I am going 30 mph or 60 mph. It happens at random times. Recently the electrical system has started acting up. Last week when I went into the grocery store the window went down by themselves while I was in the store.(it was raining out so I am sure the windows were up when I locked the doors to go inside) the driver's side door does not lock or unlock with the remote control. Also when I go to exit the car the lock is sticking and it is at times difficult to open the door. Today when my wife went out to the van the car had unlocked and the front lights were on. I re-locked the car and it unlocked itself again. I have had the car into the dealership where I purchased numerous times(5 or 6) to have the transmission looked at but they don't get an"error code" so they say there is nothing that can be done.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Sep 072012

Grand Caravan

My vehicles is having strange electrical issues. The gauges move erratically, my dash lights and head lights flicker, my radio and air turn off by them selves. All the warning light flash and the warning chime sounds. All these things happen without warning. I called the Dodge dealer and they told me that it sounded like the tipm. This component has affected thousands and thousands of Caravan owners. They quoted me $900 plus dollars to get fix. That is $900 plus dollars that I don't have. With the numbers of incidents and the amount of potential dangers that this issue puts the community in, I believe that this should be a recall issue. Unlike me who has a family, and I am still am making payments on the vehicle, a costly repair like this that I cant afford, could be afforded by Dodge to recall it. I mean they are a huge company.

- Avondale, AZ, USA

Sep 062012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Prior to 9/6/2012, engine light came on for what the dealer said no reason. Then on 9/6/2012, van broke and would not start. It appeared as if stuck in all gears and I was told this was an electrical problem. There is a recall on this type/year of van for electrical problems, recall #11V139000;however, no recall shows up for my van VIN #. I don't feel this vehicle is safe. The dealer has had my vehicle for a week now along with another one same make and model/year that they are having the same issue. There is a definite problem with this model vehicle. My vehicle is still not repaired or exact problem diagnosed. Yet, they expect me to drive it again when I get it back. These electrical issues need to be further evaluated. Yes my van was in a parking lot but that was lucky. Please look into this further. The dealer don't even understand the problem on these 2 Grand Caravan per our last conversation we had today.

- Natural Bridge, NY, USA

Jul 052012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

After approximately 30 minutes of operation at 50mph my entire dash light warning system light up & then went dark. The vehicle engine died. As I was slowly coasting to a stop, the lights & vehicle spontaneously came back on & resumed normal operation. A check of the diagnostic codes recorded no incident & I cannot recreate the failure. About 2 weeks after that incident, I started my engine, began to reverse out of a parking spot, when the A/C unit stopped blowing & lights went out, clock & dash went dark. I pulled back into the spot, parked, turned off the ignition & restarted the vehicle, and the A/C, radio, panel has worked fine ever since. Still no codes reported during a diagnostic. Someone is going to get killed driving the 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan! all the while, the manufacture denies that there is a problem with their vehicles. I purchased this vehicle new, this isn't the first time I've had problems with this vehicle. I am fastidious about service & maintenance of my vehicle, and have the receipts to prove it.

- Gatesville, TX, USA

Nov 162011

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Our 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan minivan, has been for the past 6 months been stalling sporadically. Today, it came to a head. We were 45 minutes North of our house and heading home. 10 minutes of driving to get to the freeway and 20 minutes on the freeway, in the center lane, 3 lanes wide, pouring outside, it is 8:50pm, and lightening out as well. Our minivan just died on the freeway, with a fair amount of traffic. We were able to pull over quickly as the minivan shook to a halt, we were going 70 miles per hour. Yesterday, when I tried starting it died right away, twice. The dealership knows about this as they see the minivan for this about every month, and they always say nothing comes up on the computer, nothing is wrong with it. I have complained to Chrysler about this. They say it is because it happens right after we have filled up with gas. Well, we didn't just fill up with gas today, and have only a half tank of gas, when this happened. Out of the countless times this has died on us, it has only died 2 times after filling up. There is no rhyme or reason when this happens, can be morning or afternoon, we rarely drive in the evening. Cold or hot days. Chrysler has said that this issue is related to the new key, and recalled it, well we have had that changed at least 3 times already.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jul 092012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

We had our ignition repaired 2 times already. Once because the ignition shut off the engine at 60 miles per hour. Then again for the recall for the ignition modular that was why the engine was getting shut off by the ignition and now the key will not come out of the ignition. We took the van to the dealership and explained that the key will not come out unless we play with turning on and off the van, putting it in reverse then forward, out of park into drive and wasting a lot of time and gas just to get it to come out. The service tech said first the key was into too loose before the recall and now it is in too tight after the recall part was put in. So after driving 100 miles for service we are told make sure to put the van in park and the key should come out. Well it does not. Nothing shows up on their computers so they will not fix the problem. The key will not turn off the engine so if the key is left in the battery could go dead. I have to go through off and on, drive, reverse to get the key out. I am afraid that the ignition problem could turn the engine off again at 60 miles an hour. No one is helping us because, in my opinion, this is the third repair on the ignition, making the van a lemon. So this is why we got no receipt of service for the tech telling us to put the van in park. My husband was a state trooper and taught defensive driving classes at the police academy. I have been driving for 45 years. So we both know how to put the van in park and how to remove a key from an ignition. Chrysler has not responded to our complaint.

- Haines City , FL, USA

Jun 172012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The windshield wipers came on but would not turn off. The windows would not work, the control panel would not register. All warning lights lit up. The possible complications are multiple. The vehicle is considered unsafe to operate by the owners.

- Cape May, NJ, USA

Jun 022012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Rear passenger wheel gets extremely hot while driving. It appears that the caliper may be locking up. The rear wheel on the driver side also makes a high pitched whine, which is intermittent and usually goes away by tapping the brake pedal. We took it to the dealer and they said we needed a rear brake job. However, I believe this is due to defective calipers which are not releasing the pads from the rotors. The rear brakes on every car I have owned always last significantly longer than the front. The fact that the rear pads are worn excessively while front are not indicates a defect in the rear brake assembly. The ignition was repaired as part of a recall. However, after starting the car, the key does not return to the "on" position. This allows the car to run and be driven, however none of my lights or directionals work. I can wiggle the key to get it into the correct position, but sometimes it is not obvious that the key is in the wrong position. This results in me driving without headlights in the rain and thinking that I am signaling properly in turns when in fact everything is off.

- Webster, NY, USA

Jan 252012

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan. The vehicle was included in the recall under NHTSA campaign id number: 11V139000 (electrical system:ignition) and was repaired. After the repair the contact was driving approximately 35 mph when he noticed that the electronic functions of the vehicle failed. The vehicle did not stall but the turn signals and the instrument panel lights would not illuminate. The failure occurred two different times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic. The VIN was not available. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 48,000.

- Mokena, IL, USA

Jan 102012

Grand Caravan

Electronic throttle control light comes on periodically, causing inconsistent, poor or non-existent throttle response. Traction control light may also light up. Restarting the vehicle usually makes the problem go away, but this is not an acceptable solution. Occasionally, with the etc light on, throttle response does not occur at all, which is hazardous in traffic.

- Northfield, VT, USA

Jan 012011

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that the vehicle was experiencing numerous electrical system failures on an intermittent basis. The automatic doors, windshield wipers, turn signals, and mirror adjustment system stopped functioning. In addition, the automatic start feature would not function and the key fob would only function on an intermittent basis. The contact stated that she was unable to unlock the doors on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer on numerous occasions, but they were unable to diagnose the failures. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 2,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Norwood, PA, USA

Jan 142012

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that after having repairs performed on the vehicle under NHTSA campaign id number:11V139000 (electrical system:ignition), the turn signals, windshield wipers and the power windows failed intermittently. The contact stated the failures were non-existent prior to having the recall remedy performed on the vehicle. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer and the manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not further repaired. The failure and the current mileages were 7,000.

- Nesconset, NY, USA

Nov 252011

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

While traveling southbound on I-75 at milepost 263.3 a faint alarm of some kind came on. Then the engine began making a noise and quit. When I pulled over to the side of the highway the engine compartment shot flames and smoke from under the hood. I was attempting to release the hood latch when flames burst in through the firewall under the dash. We then abandoned the vehicle and called 911. By the time a fire truck arrived the van was totally burned. I have the vehicle serviced regularly and had just replaced the tires and brakes. I have no idea what the cause might have been but it bears looking into.

- Port Charlotte, FL, USA

Oct 182011

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan. While driving approximately 70 mph the vehicle suddenly stalled. The brake pedal became stiff on two occasions and the instrument panel did not illuminate. The contact stopped the vehicle on the shoulder and was able to restart it. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. NHTSA recall campaign id number: 11V139000 (electrical system:ignition) may be related to the failure. The manufacturer stated the VIN was not included in the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 15,500.

- Lake Orion, MI, USA

Oct 092011

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Was driveing about 40mph when all electrical power failed no turn signals wipers radio brake lights power windows etc. Pulled over to side of road and when iturned off ignition all power came back on. This is the second time this has occured. Also, have trouble with the ignition of this vehicle sometimes takes 2 or 3 tries to start. Vehicle was taken to dealer for a recall of the ignition but seems to have created other problems.

- Saint Louis , MO, USA

Aug 242011

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that the dealer performed repairs under NHTSA campaign id number: 11V139000 (electrical system: Ignition) but the repair did not correct the failure. The contact was unable to turn the engine off and release the key from the ignition switch. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 19,645 and the current mileage was 20,740.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Aug 252011

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact was driving 35 mph when the vehicle caught on fire. The contact was able to pull over to the side of the road and exit the vehicle. The contact was not injured during the fire. The vehicle was destroyed. The fire department was called to extinguish the fire and advised that the fire originated under the hood on the driver side but did not advise the cause of the fire. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Aug 092011

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph, the ignition unexpectedly switched into the accessory position and the vehicle stalled. After a few moments, the vehicle was able to restart. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, where they were unable to diagnose the failure. The dealer also stated that they would not perform the repairs associated with NHTSA campaign id number 11V139000 (electrical system:ignition). The vehicle was traded in since the recall remedy was not performed. The failure mileage was approximately 22,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Noble`, IL, USA

Aug 052011

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that the vehicle was repaired under the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 11V139000 (electrical system: Ignition switch). After having the vehicle repaired, the electrical system failed. The power windows, air conditioner, turn signals, and radio stopped functioning. The vehicle was taken back to the authorized dealer where the contact was informed that some of the parts for the vehicle were not functioning properly. The dealer and the contact attempted to notify the manufacturer, but had not received a response. The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was 22,346.

- North Saracuse, NY, USA

Jul 182011

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that while driving at any speed, the vehicle would suddenly stall. The vehicle would not immediately restart after some of the failures. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, where they attempted to duplicate the failure three times. The vehicle was repaired under the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 11V139000 (electrical system:ignition); however, the failure continued to occur. The manufacturer was aware of the failure. The vehicle was awaiting a fourth diagnosis. The approximate failure mileage was 41,500 and the current mileage was 42,000.

- St Louis, MO, USA