2011 Dodge Grand Caravan electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2011 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments (Page 8 of 9)

Jul 032014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Safety recall P25/NHTSA 14V-234 on the rear quarter vent window switch. Dealer offered to disconnect until part comes in. I declined, I have since called 3 other times to see if the part is in, but the part is never in.

- Pasadena, MD, USA

Oct 152014

Grand Caravan

Rear quarter vent window, switch was recalled I took it to my Dodge dealer they disconnected the switch and said they would replace it. I have called four times now and every time I told they have no parts to replace it. I asked how long it would be they don't know could be 6 more months.

- Nashua, NH, USA

Jan 072015

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V234000 (electrical system) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Barmington, MO, USA

Jul 072014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

This started in July of 2014. We noticed that at first the wipers would stop randomly and after shutting them off they would not go to their home place. This appeared very random and did not alarm us. But what did was the vehicle would randomly not start. It would crank but not turn over. We would turn the key back off then try and start again and it would be fine. However for the last 2 weeks this has increasingly worsened. The vehicle will take up to 15 minutes to start. It will sometimes start and die, then not start for several minutes. After having a local shop check this issue out they have determined that the totally integrated power module is faulty and will need to be replaced to resolve this issue. At a cost of $505 for the part and several more hundred dollars for the labor this has been an extremely costly fix.

- Hobart, IN, USA

Grand Caravan

TL- the contact owns a 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact stated that NHTSA campaign number: 14V234000 (electrical system) had exceeded a reasonable amount for time for the recall repair. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who disconnected the vent windows and stated that she would receive a second notice. The contact felt that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the delay. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact did not experience a failure. Djr

- Carson City , NV, USA

Jul 022014

Grand Caravan

TL-the contact owns a 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V234000 (electrical system) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The VIN was not available. The contact had not experienced a failure. Djr

- Surfside Beach, SC, USA

Dec 242014

Grand Caravan

Our van would not start. The key was stuck in the ignition, so I had the van jumped, then towed to the dealer who said that the battery connectors were loose and that was the issue with the non-start. We get the van back and exactly one week later, the van will not start again. This time I check the battery cables, they are good, so I try to jump the van. This time nothing happens, so I have it towed. The tow truck driver having remembered me from last week says he thinks its a bad battery and his shop can install a new battery no problem. So I take his word. We get to their shop but they find that the battery is not the issue. Their diagnostic shows that the win module needs to be reset and potentially the entire system needed to be flashed. So they get the van running again, I drive it home. The next day, dead. I try to jump it again, nothing again; however, I am now armed with potent information. So I have the van towed to the dealer again. They remember me too now. I tell them what was found from the diagnostic ran from the shop. Thus far they are saying that everything is testing fine but they are not sure what is draining the battery. I feel they are totally unaware of the tipm failure that is currently under investigation. I will alert them of this, but I am not very hopeful as the part is apparently on a national back order. Good thing I have a huffy.

- Fort Meade, MD, USA

Dec 242014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

For 1 month the vehicle was difficult to start. It would crank just fine, but the engine would not 'ignite' (especially when cold.) the vehicle would finally start after 5-10 long attempts (turning the engine over and over and then turning the key to the off position before trying again.) this difficult startup issue lasted for 4 weeks. At that point the vehicle began to stall after running for 10 - 20 minutes (sometimes while driving.) finally, after parking the vehicle one evening, the fuel pump continued to run after the engine was shut off and the key was removed. It wasn't noticed right away, so by morning the battery was completely dead. All my research indicated the fuel relay is faulty. But the relay is built into the tipm and there is no easy fix. This seems to be happening on all 2011 Chrysler/Dodge vehicles and there is even a recall on the Dodge durango for the issue. This faulty tipm needs to be recalled and replaced. My local dealership has suggested that I get the relay 'fixed" using the fix mentioned in the durango recall. The service adviser suggested it would be around $400 (no guarantee) and that it would be reimbursed if the recall was extended to my make of vehicle at some point in the future. I'm worried that they are going to make it worse and wreck the tipm, which is a part that costs over $1000 (and hard to find.) I hope to update this complaint after the vehicle is 'fixed.'

- Andover, MN, USA

Oct 012014

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact received a notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V234000 (electrical system) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Marshall , TX, USA

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact received a notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V234000 (electrical system). The contact stated that the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Bullhead City , AZ, USA

Oct 302014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Our 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan started having major electrical issues, where the vehicle would run, but the blinkers, the dash lights, heater/ac, radio, and bluetooth would all not work at once. The win module had to be replaced. As soon as that was done, the vehicle would not start. Then, shortly afterwards, when the vehicle was parked in our enclosed garage we noticed a phantom noise coming from the vehicle. After investigation we were able to determine that the vehicle had not turned all the way off, but was in fact still running and producing carbon monoxide. We tried turning it on and off again several times to see if it would turn all of the way off, to no avail. Let me be clear. Our vehicle was turned off. It was in an enclosed garage with the usual amount of ventilation, I.e. very little. Like most homes, we have bedrooms both above the garage, as well as one next to it. So, being unable to make our car safe to park in the garage, we had back it out into the driveway, where it ran until the battery died. Then, my husband, drove the car twice to the repair shops and both times the odometer stopped working, the gas pedal would not work, all dashboard lights came on, he could not accelerate, and the power steering went out. The second time it died on a main road, and had to be towed.

- Syrcuse, UT, USA

Nov 182014

Grand Caravan

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan. After numerous attempts, the vehicle was able to start. The failure occurred on numerous occasions. Additionally, the contact stated that the totally integrated power module (tipm) failed intermittently, but the specifics of the failure were not available. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 78,000.

- Covington, GA, USA

Nov 272014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

On thanksgiving morning 2014, me and my family went out to go to visit family for thanksgiving dinner, but the vehicle would not start. It would crank and crank, but never come close to turning over. The gas tank was full, the battery was fine, but clearly it wasn't getting gas. We obviously couldn't go anywhere. After using our other vehicle, we managed to make it to dinner (though obviously late). The next day, I had the car towed in, and several days later when the dealership finally had the time to analyze what was wrong, I was notified of the tipm problem. So far, it's been nearly a week and there is still no further news on when we can get it fixed. I've been told there are only 300 tipm's in the country and that they are unsure when they can get the part. Thus far, I've been told that it would be covered by my extended warranty, and that the part is "approximately" $700 and labor would be "about" $200, so I don't yet know what it'll cost. I do know that it will cost me $50 for the warranty deductible. While that is not a large amount, the more troubling issue is that I'm now paying for the loan and insurance on a vehicle that I cannot use for reasons that were entirely out of my control and for a period of time that is unknown.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Nov 202014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

Vehicle will not start and will stop while driving. Three different batteries have been drained to the point of going bad. Dodge service center has identified the problem as a faulty tipm (totally integrated power module).

- Wake Forest, NC, USA

Oct 242014

Grand Caravan

Bases on what I found with my local mechanic and online my van a faulty tipm. Dodge currently has a recall out for other vehicle with a bad tipm but claims my van in not affected by it. My van has hard starts or it will start the stall. It takes about 8-10 times before it will start and stay running. Also my fuel pump will stay running even after I take the key out. If I do not remove the fuel pump fuse the pump will until the battery dies.

- Seale, AL, USA

Nov 132014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

After being told by the dealer our van wouldn't start due to the alternator, we decided to have the alternator looked at. The other mechanic found nothing to be wrong with the alternator. The dealer also said we needed our fuel pump replaced. We have had other vehicles that needed fuel pumps replaced and when the fuel pump went out we were not able to drive it at all. My husband was at an appointment and after turning off van he heard something running. The sound was tracked to the fuel pump. So the dealer wasted our time and money all the time trying to have us replace parts that would not have corrected the problem. After calling and trying to get a fuel pump regulator we discovered the fuel pump regulator is built into the tipm. We have a faulty tipm. I wish Dodge would get off their butt and issue a recall already. The only way a can shut the fuel pump off is to unhook the battery.

- Owensboro, KY, USA

Nov 202013

Grand Caravan

The car cut off while driving, a week before I took the car to the dealer complaining about the car no starting intermittent. The dealer return the car saying no problem found. After this happens cutting off while driving, I took the car again to the dealer, this time the dealer replace the "tipm" P/N 68244893aa, I was charged $890.10, the dealer mechanic informed me that this is well known problem, for the safety of other please force Chrysler to recall this "tipm" as they did to the SUV's.

- N. Miami Beach , FL, USA

Sep 242014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

My van will try to start but it just keeps trying to turn over. I have to manually turn the key back off and wait, it usually takes about 3 times for it to actually start. It makes the clicking noise like its a starter or battery but both have been checked and are fine.

- Richmond, KY, USA

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

My van's air conditioning wasn't working so I took it into the dealer...when they gave it back I had cold air in the front but not in the back, I took it back again, they fixed the air for the front but then the fan wasn't working at all in the back vents, I took it back a 3 rd time finally it seemed fixed, since then I have lost control of using the buttons on my steering wheel, cruise control only works when it wants to, and my vehicle will turn over but has a hard time starting, they have changed out the starter messed with my wiring and changed out my battery, it still isn't fixed. Now my vents in the backseats are not blowing air again, they replaced the starter, the battery and still I am having all these problems. Could this have to do with a recall that hasn't been done on my vehicle? also I bought the van new and have had a few paint jobs to fix the rubbing of the side doors that cause my paint to rub off above the wheel wells, I finally gave up on having it fixed but I know this is an error on Chrysler's side as I can show you atleast two more Grand Caravan's same year with the same rubbed off paint because of side doors. Very disappointed in buying my first brand new Caravan.

- Osburn, ID, USA

Oct 202014

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan. The contact received a notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V234000 (electrical system). However, the part needed was unavailable to perform the repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Updated 11/24/14

- Crystal , MN, USA