Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: I hope I can stop you from buying this vehicle before you find out that it won't be able to stop you.

2010 Dodge Journey electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Dodge Journey:

2010 Dodge Journey Owner Comments (Page 16 of 17)

Oct 042010

Journey 6-cyl

While driving at hwy. Speed 50 mph, engine just cut off, losing lights, power etc.. after months of complaints and appointments with no help, finally received a recall notice about a yr. After our first complaints. The ignition switch had to be replaced, fob was slipping out of ignition. Now brakes are on back order, resurfaced both front and rear at 9406 miles, adjusted at 12259, and awaiting parts for our third repair on the brakes front and rear at 20697. Did I mention they want a 100. Deductible to repair a defect in their brakes.

- Keansburg, NJ, USA

Jan 012011

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. While parked, the contact noticed that the lights on the instrument panel would not illuminate and the windshield wipers would activate independently. The failure recurred intermittently at least four times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostics and repairs, but the contact was not aware of the repairs that were performed by the technician. The failure persisted after the repairs. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 5,000.

- Fredricksburg, VA, USA

Feb 262012

Journey 6-cyl

Upon driving the vehicle we lost power to the radio, cigarette lighter and cruise control. It went off for about 30 seconds and came back on. It happened between 8-10 times during a 2 day period. It doesn't matter the speed at all.

- North Rose, NY, USA

Jul 192011

Journey 6-cyl

Brakes were vibrating and didn't sound right dealer replaced due to recall but had to still pay 100 dollars. Also on 9/11/11 replace turn signal on drivers side when went out it took out brake lights too they repaired that and now only 6months later passenger side turn signal doing same thing they replaced light bulb drove it home was fine an hour later started happening again takes out brake lights. Also when took in for turn signal had to have back brakes repaired felt same vibration and noise. Also had to pay 100 dollars out of pocket and car only has 21,000 miles.

- Elmhurst, IL, USA

Dec 152011

Windows go up and down automatically at will. Drivers side gets stuck in either position and then goes up or down at will. This occurs when vehicle is either standing still or in motion.

- Calumet City, IL, USA

Nov 302011

Making left turn into parking lot and vehicle shut off. Recently noticed possible related issues with computer, including uconnect not working. The vehicle went in for recall repairs in Aug 2011 including L25 but we had not experienced any electric concerns prior to that point. Called dealer today and they advised to bring vehicle in but they had not heard of issues occurring after L25 repair.

- Woodbury, MN, USA

Sep 302011

Journey 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that the security alarm system failed to disengage upon entering the vehicle. The ignition would not start and all locked doors failed to unlock. The driver side door was manually unlocked. The failure recurred twice. On the first occurrence, the dealer was unable to detect a trouble code. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer a second time where both key fobs were reprogrammed. In addition to the repair, the wcm and tipm were replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 4,000. Manufacturer was made aware of this problem after talking to NHTSA. Updated 11/01/2011

- Macomb Township, MI, USA

Mar 162011

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. The contact was driving 40 mph when the vehicle stalled while driving over a railroad track. The vehicle was restarted and taken to the dealer who advised that the ignition switch was the cause of the stalling and needed to be replaced. The dealer replaced the ignition switch but the repair did not remedy the issue. The contact stated that the dealer could not identify the problem and the diagnostic test did not show any failure codes. The contact believed that the vehicle was unsafe to drive. The failure mileage was 12,150.

- Chesterfield, MI, USA

Sep 122011

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that all of the electrical components including the radio, turn signals, power windows and locks would fail intermittently. Neither the dealer nor the manufacturer was notified of the failure and the vehicle was neither diagnosed nor repaired. The current and failure mileages were 50,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 192011

Journey 6-cyl

I purchased my 2010 Dodge Journey SXT in Oct 2010. The vehicle has died (electrical problem) numerous times while driving the vehicle at speeds up to 70; however, as low as 10. I have taken the vehicle in four times and they haven't been able to replicate the error and have sent me home with the vehicle. It happened again on Friday and I was in the middle of traffic and narrowly escaped an accident. I was able to put the vehicle in neutral and coast to the side of the road. My children were in the vehicle and I worry that we all will be killed. This time all of the lights came on the dash and the vehicle stopped. Previously there was no forewarning. I took the vehicle in 02/11, 03/11, 04/11 and 06/11 and the issues have not been resolved. I have read several blogs reporting the same problem and no recourse has been done to repair the vehicle. I'm worried about the safety of my family and others.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Dec 112010

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where the contact was advised that the battery had failed. The vehicle was repaired for four times for the battery since December 2010. The manufacturer was contacted and they replaced the battery upon each failure. The failure mileage was approximately 5,027.

- Summerville, CA, USA

Jul 112011

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. The contact stated after stopping the vehicle and trying to restart it, the vehicle would not start. The contact stated she received a recall notice from the Dodge manufacturer on the wireless ignition module. The Dodge notification recall#L25 will not be effective until July 15, 2011. The wireless ignition module also failed preventing the vehicle from starting. The vehicle was towed to the dealer who stated the recall was not listed and the parts will not be available until July 15, 2011. If the vehicle was repaired before July 15, she would have to pay for the repairs and receive reimbursement from the manufacturer. The manufacturer was not contacted. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 37,800.

- Downing Town, PA, USA

Feb 072011

Journey 6-cyl

2010 Dodge Journey. I've had 4 incidents where my Journey has lost power/stalled. The first was in a parking garage while making a turn, the car lost power and I did not have the ability to steer and hit a pole. Didn't think much of it at first. The second incident was in April 21st, while going over railroad tracks, and again lost power. I was not able to steer and was able to glide to the side of the road and once stopped was able to restart. The 3rd incident was on April 27th, was on the highway for work, when the vehicle stalled going 65 miles per hour. I did not have break or power steering, and was surrounded by semi trucks. Once I was able to maneuver through traffic and get to the shoulder the vehicle started and was fine. The 4th incident was on May 25th, while entering a 2 lane highway the vehicle lost power again and to avoid getting hit while entering the highway, I had to hit the curb to stop. This had caused tire damage and bent the rim. When I took it to the dealer, they said that my vehicle is not part of the recall and they will not fix it. I do not feel safe driving this vehicle, especially since I am an outside sales representative and am on the highway and in my vehicle for a major part of the day. The service department tells me they cannot duplicate and if my VIN wasn't part of the recall then their isn't anything I can do. I feel that I am driving in a death trap and Dodge/Chrysler will not do anything.

- Temperance , MI, USA

Apr 022011

Started with a flashing check engine light after awhile will stay on & only flash intermittently. Dealer found code for #1 cylinder misfire & a tsb to update the software. 2 weeks later it returned, when the light flashes the steering wheel & front end shakes. No codes, no tsbs. It returned within 80 miles of last trip to dealer, they performed tsb 18-024-10 crank sensor shim, light returned along with the shaking within days. Dealer replaced flexplate. Again the light returned within days. Next they did some form of engine cleaning, light returned within 500 miles of last attempt to fix. Codes are always#1 cylinder misfire & random cylinder misfire. On May 16th the dealer looked at it, did a compression check of the cylinders, all good. Chrysler support told them to change the PCM. As of May 19th it was 7th nation wide on back order while I continue to drive the vehicle with the light on & intermittent shaking hoping it doesn't leave me stranded between now & when the part comes in as they don't have an exact date. Dealer claims no other reported Journeys having this problem.

- Northwood , ND, USA

Apr 152011

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. The contact stated while driving 30 mph the vehicle suddenly shut off without warning. The contact was able to drive to the side of the road in order to restart the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and informed the contact about NHTSA recall 11V139000: Electrical system:ignition but the recall had not been released at the time. The dealer stated they were unable to find the problem that caused the vehicle to shut off. The contact stated the vehicle was unsafe to drive because the vehicle could shut off at any time. The failure mileage was 26,555.

- South Pasadena , FL, USA

Jun 172010

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that the engine would stall without warning. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer but they were unable to duplicate the failure. The contact stated that the failure would recur at least twice a week. The contact also stated that when the vehicle stalled, the engine would restart independently. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 11V139000 (electrical system: Ignition) but was advised that the vehicle was not included in the recall. The failure and current mileage was 11,451.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Dec 232010

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that while having the vehicle in the drive position, she noticed that the ignition would turn off and on. The vehicle was taken into a dealer who advised her that there was a faulty switch in the ignition, but they were unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was contacted and offered no assistance, but they are aware that the failure exist. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 400.

- Corona, CA, USA

Mar 022011

Journey 6-cyl

I purchased a 2010 Dodge Journey on 2/25 with 17K miles. Five days later I was driving with my 5 mth old daughter and it completely shut off! it did it again later that day. I had it towed to the Dodge dealership where they said they find nothing wrong. It has happened twice since I got it back from the dealer. I called Chrysler and they said they aren't releasing information on this until after April! I am afraid to drive this car - but am forced to since I have to get to and from work. I was able to put the car in park and restart - but it is very scary since I never know when it is going to shut off. What if it does it when pulling out onto a busy highway" does someone have to be injured before they take this problem seriously"

- Alexandria, PA, USA

Feb 042011

Journey 4-cyl

I bough a new 2010 Dodge Journey in June 2010 and I was driving on the highway and I was slowing down to exit on ramp. As I went to accelerate I noticed that the car wouldn't go and the car was off, however the lights were still on and the dashboard lights were on also. Had to put the car in park and restart, its happened to me twice. Both times I took it to Dodge and they can't find anything wrong with it. I am so afraid to drive the car. I didn't know that it shut off.. how can I get them to fix it, when they can't even figure out what's wrong with it. I just hope that no one has to get hurt before they admit to this car having a problem.

- Cranford, NJ, USA

Aug 072010

Vehicle powers off while it's being driven. The first time it happened, my wife was pulling out of the driveway. This has happened three different times since then. What I mean by power off is, you have to put the car in neutral or park to restart it. I can't duplicate this nor can chyrsler's repair personnel. It's scary because you don't know when this is going to happen. Chrysler updated the software in October 2010, but it has happened twice since then. It's at the dealership as I file this report for the same problem.

- Detroit, MI, USA