Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: This is a classic example of why you should avoid the first model year of a new car. Sure, it's new and shiny but there's going to be some growing pains.

The 2005 Magnum has problems with the gear shifter getting stuck, a shaky and sometimes stalled engine and transmission failure at 75,000 miles.

Let someone else deal with those headaches.

2005 Dodge Magnum seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Magnum:

2005 Dodge Magnum Owner Comments (Page 5 of 5)

Dec 042010

Turning left onto road, vehicle was hit from behind by truck and cause the vehicle to hit a tree. Air bags did not deploy. Driver and passenger sustained bodily injury, I.e., fractured ribs, head injury and shoulder injury.

- Nacogdoches, TX, USA

Jun 062009

On Saturday June 6, 2009 my wife was driving our 2005 Dodge Magnum and as she was turning, the steering wheel locked in place. Luckily she didn't hit anyone or anything. She wrestled with the steering wheel and was able to get it to move again and drove straight home. I took it to the local Dodge dealer and they informed me that is was a "clock spring" which is attached to the airbag in the steering column. It had broke and lodged in the steering column causing the steering wheel to lock up. They told me it was not covered under warranty, and it would cost me $550 to fix it. I in turn told them that it was a safety issue and should be covered by the dealer/manufacturer. They told me it wasn't a covered item. I told them not to fix it, and I would find out the safety aspects of the items in question.

- Visalia, CA, USA

Jun 282008

2005 Dodge Magnum R/T, 73,000 miles. When you adjust the tilt/telescoping steering column, the airbag light and esp/bas light came on. It has something to do with the clock spring and the wiring. details many other owners with the same issue. To me this is a safety concern and should be addressed as part of a recall since it has to do with two primary safety systems the airbag & stability control.

- Rock Hill, SC, USA

May 282008

Over the last month I have had my 2005 Dodge Magnum SXT in the dealership for the airbag light coming on 3 times. All 3 times they had stored codes but could not find out what was causing the problem. The storied code was lost communication with the occupant classification module. The first time they could not get it to duplicate the problem so they did nothing except a wire wiggle test. But they did tell me if the light come on I have no airbags. The second time they recalibrated the pass front seat. This time the storied code said ocm out of calibration. The last time I had it in they had it for a week because a rep from Chrysler was going to come and look at it. Like I said it was there for a week and the rep was to busy to go to this dealership, so they talked back and forth on the phone. What did they do. They wiped out and reset the computer, reinstalled latest software and recalibrated the ocm and sensors.

- Cortland, IL, USA

May 062008

Magnum 6-cyl

Airbag light comes on. Took to dealer who replaced the clock spring. A day and a half later the airbag light comes back on. Took back to dealer who stated that the part was faulty. Replaced with another clock spring. May 12th the airbag light came on again. Took back to dealer who wants me to leave the car with them next week so they can call Chrysler to try and figure out why this keeps happening. They think it might be a wiring issue.

- West Lafayette, OH, USA

Jul 022006

Magnum 6-cyl

No events lead up to the failure. I was going out of town on emergency and air bag light came on and stayed on. I was not able to get vehicle fixed due once I arrived at my destination due to parts not available. I was forced to drive home without airbags and driving over the mileage of the original warranty. It has been over a month and just now getting the part on. The vehicle had to be driven without airbags (and who knows what else that was tied into the wiring harness and clock spring).

- Mingo Junction, OH, USA

Dec 142005

Magnum 6-cyl

Recently bought a 05 dodger Magnum on Dec. 13, 2005 and have been back Dec. 14,22,23,26 for alignment my key transmitters gave out the rear window stopped operating at these times the car was serviced and problems still occur. Have been back to the shop Jan. 17 and a few more times since then for the same reasons only now my key still won't work but won't go in keyhole either the air bag light comes on while driving. It is in the shop now and has been there since Saturday I cannot continue to pay for a car that me and my children are not safe in. I have called the 1800 # for Dodge and am waiting for a response I am also making a complaint with the Texas attorney general and also the txdot motor vehicle board since the BBB didn't want anything to do with this complaint. These problems are recurring problems that the dealership will not acknowledge I have tried to give them a written complaint but they would not accept it as to there attorney did not write it I am not an attorney just a consumer why wouldn't they accept my letter I have it here along with all work orders and still no help. The letter was written on Dec. 26 and was supposed to be taken when the car was put in the shop so they can see I am not going to be pushed over to the side and that's what has happened the car salesman lied from day one come to find out after I made the complaint with BBB he was terminated for "drug use". great now we are buying cars from liars and the mangers of this car lot wont acknowledge me or my problem he sends a car salesman to me I don't want to discuss the problem with a salesman I want an owner a manager or even the manufacturer but no they hide. Thank you for letting me complain on this website maybe it will help others to not get a Magnum they are dangerous and Dodge doesn't care at our expense.

- Amarillo, TX, USA