CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

7.7

$2,880.00

1. needs to be repainted (13 reports)
  2. reseal (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 body / paint problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments

Aug 012014

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

Clear coat flaking off roof and truck bed top. Original paint on front cap of vehicle was different color of white when I first bought truck new from dealer.

- , Meridian, MS, USA

Mar 192014

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

Paint is terrible been coming off and peeling for a long time.

- , Siler City, USA

Feb 272014

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

The paint on the 02 dodge i have now is terrible .it's definitely cheap paint and shows that Chrysler doesn't give a damn about customers just the money they can make.

- , Bonham, TX, USA

Sep 232013

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

Wash my 02 Dodge Ram about 3 weeks ago, notice bubbles on both fenders just below hood line. They are signs that the clear coat is going bad. This sucks!!

- , Memphis, TN, USA

Jul 112010

Ram 1500 4.7L V8

I called Chrysler, hoping their customer service would be helpful. I was immediately shot down, with my request. Which was, please HELP ME repaint my truck. I wanted to take it to a dealership and have them do it for their cost including labor. I was told due to the mileage of the vehicle Chrysler would not honor any claims on the vehicle.

I then asked the guy, why Chrysler was content putting vehicles on the road that were not built to last as long as a Chevrolet or Ford. His response was I choose not to answer that question. He followed that statement with “due to the age of the vehicle and mileage on the vehicle, Chrysler will not acknowledge any claims on the vehicle”. This proves Chrysler is okay getting the sale and letting the customer spend their own money keeping the purchase “nice”. These guys have been ripping off consumers for years by knowing the paint is an issue, and refusing to even help make it right.

- , Austin, TX, USA

Dec 012010

Ram 1500 4.7L

dodge would not fix paint problem, it was a beautiful truck. i will not buy another dodge product. we have had other vehicles older than this one and no problems with clear coat and paint peeling off. dodge used cheap paint and wont fix it. i hope no one else has this problem but i know they do. i have saw lot of trucks with same problem. i think dodge should fix the problem.

- , Cedar Creek, TX, USA

Jul 012003

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

click to see larger images

paint bubbling and peeling

Chrysler fix the first time, I paid to have it fixed the second time. did not fix again the pic shows condition now.

- , Antwerp, NY, USA

Jun 012010

Ram 1500 V8

the paint is peeling over the base of the tires and the base cover over the bed

- , Wetumpka, AL, USA

Jul 302007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

clear coat is coming off the hood, passenger door, bed, and roof. There is bubbling around the wheel wells.

- , Scranton, PA, USA

Sep 012008

Ram 1500

The paint is faded off on the hood and roof of truck!! There is a little fading on truck bed also. The problem keeps spreading.

- , Crossville, TN, USA

Apr 302002

Ram 1500 SLT Plus 5.9L V8

I noticed a small bubble in the clear coat - top center of the truck roof - when I bought it. It was minor then. Over 7 years it evolved into a bare metal spot about the size of a quarter. It needs to be repainted but I'm not putting another dime in this dud of a truck. Bad quality from Chrysler - as usual. I had so many problems with this truck I never could get around to dealing with this one because no one really sees it. If it were a car instead of a truck, it would be more visible - the truck roof is so high, who cares as long as it doesn't rust through. Still...crappy quality of Dodge.

- , Carmichael, CA, USA

Aug 292008

Ram 1500 1500 4.7L V8

The paint is doing the same as it is for the 2 guys above me. lol i was told by another dodge owner to go to a dodge dealer ship and complain because it is a type of clear coat used by dodge that always does peels and bubbles. haven't tried it but i was hoping to read something about a defect first before i would make a attempt

- , Humble, TX, USA

May 072008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Well, instead of buying a foreign vehicle, i decided to purchase an American brand, made here in the United States. So i purchase a Dodge Ram. Now, after paying in excess of 36K dollars, the vehicle paint is peeling on the ROOF, HOOD, DOOR, and next to the GAS TANK......and all of this, after only 6 years.....I think this is ridiculous...

- , Columbia, MD, USA

Sep 122006

Ram 1500 SLT

At 40,000 paint on roof started to bubble around 3rd brake light. waited to see if it was just me until 50,000 miles. Took to Dodge & they repainted the roof only. They thought the rest of the truck was fine. at 58,000 miles or 4 years and 3 months I noticed that there were a hole bunch of little dark spots on the paint. I thought it was dirt build up or tree crap. I did not get around to spending the time to clean the clearcoat until 2 months later. when I tried to polish them out by hand with 3m micropolish they would not come out. 1 month latter after I washed it the dark spot became white spots. and a lot more than I saw a month earlier. Turns out the dark spots were where the clearcoat had come off and the paint bellow oxidies. The white spots are where the paint has now come off and the primer is showing through. These spots have developed on the Hood, fenders, doors & door posts, and all over the truckbed. All of the spots are perfectly round. when you look through a looking glass you can see the different layers of the paint in a single spot. DON't BUY DODGE. Dodge now has me doing the wait for us to call you thing witch is BS they just want the warranty to expire!!! I have had nothing but problems with this thing.

- , Holiday, FL, USA