1. crank shaft pulley replaced (1 reports)
  3. replaced harmonic balancer (1 reports)
2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac:

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Owner Comments

May 222004

Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4.0L

After 1 week of purchase,check engine light came on and squeaking sounds from all the pully's and engine.They never corrected.I had to replace fuel systems components and tune up entire system including replacing fuel rail pressure sensor,fuel filter,fuel injection and induction because vehicle would stall out.I also had to replace all the tires at only 17k miles as well as replace numerous suspension and steering components such as outer tire rods,front sway bar links,inner tie rods,4 different front end alignments,replace all shocks.I have all the receipts for all work done.Numerous problems with this vehicle from day 1 that the dealership did nothing to correct.

- , Miami, FL, USA

Nov 212009

Explorer Sport Trac XLT 3.2L V6

Prior to owning my 2004 Sport Trac I had a 2003 Sport Trac and didn't have any trouble with it what so ever! I thought by upgrading I would have a better truck, boy was I wrong! I've only owned the truck for 2 years and the only warning I had was a sqeaky belt. I told my husband about it, he went to replace the belt and discovered the problem. Had the truck towed to the shop to find out the crank shaft pulley was bad.

- , Maple Grove, MN, USA

Dec 072009

Explorer Sport Trac XLT V6 4.0L

Started as a squeaking noise, it keep getting louder. I took it to arepuble tire company to get my Sport Trac serviced. I asked if they could correct the squeak. I was assured that they could. After first attemp. it was my Serpentine Belt, second attempt replaced the Idler Pulley, Third attempt replaced the Tensioner Pulley, and Fourth attempt , replaced the Alternator. After all these attempts, I still had a medium squeak with a cost of After about 3 or 4 days the squeak got louder. I took it to m,y friend's Auto Repair Shop. He knew at sound what the problem was. He had to replace the Harmonic Balancer And the Serpentine Belt. The total cost was $389.89. It not only corrected the noise, it runs great. My advice is to never let a Tire Co. do mechanic repairs on your car.

- , Lawrenceville, GA, USA