Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Welcome to North America, Ford Fiesta. Thanks for bringing your herky-jerky transmission, numerous interior quality complaints, and an engine that dies while driving.

2011 Ford Fiesta drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Fiesta:

2011 Ford Fiesta Owner Comments (Page 1 of 11)

Sep 012012

Car was purchased brand new in 2010 and within a year car began having issues with acceleration, deceleration, bucking, jerking, gear changes and just erratic shifting. Car will not accelerate to merge with traffic on the highway and will stall when stopping. We began complaining to the dealership (metro Ford schenectady NY) within a year after purchase and have complained multiple times and just get shrugged off and told that it's normal for the dual clutch. Last month 09/16 the tcm fully went and was replaced and when I went to pick it up it was bucking and shuttering and revving up to 2500 RPM without me even being on the gas pedal at all and they insist this is normal due to the reflash and will even out after driving for a while which is insane to me that I should have to drive a jerking and shuddering erratically shifting vehicle on the highway to work praying my car doesn't cause an accident. This ongoing issue for 6 years now has drained me and deterred me from ever wanting to own another Ford ever again.

- Schenectady, NY, USA

Sep 142016

Our 2011 Ford Fiesta started experiencing problems while driving. It was not shifting properly and running really jagged at times. Also the check engine/transmission light came on. On Wednesday September 14, 2016 I took in the car to our local Ford dealer colley Ford in glendora, ca. They told me it was probably the transmission control module that had to be programmed. I called the next day and they told me it needed a new transmission control module and they would have to order one. We went in on Sept 26, 2016 and they said they had not received the part yet. Its been almost two weeks and we have not had the car because Ford hasn't delivered the part to the dealership.

- Glendora, CA, USA

Aug 112015

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fiesta. While driving approximately 45 mph, the rpms accelerated. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the tranmission control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 93,766.

- Porter, ME, USA

Jul 202016

To whom it may concern, my name is wanda West-turner and I am writing this complaint about a 2011 Ford Fiesta SE I purchased at a private dealer on July 1, 2016. The car started running very strange after a week I experience very ruff rides. So I called Ford company in mcdonough ga. The person I talked to said that it was on recall and for me to bring it in, I did. They kept it over night to update the transmission and other problems causing me to pay for a rental which I felt should have been paid by the dealer or Ford moter company. I did ask the dealer if they knew the car was on recall and they said no! I ask question after question, the owner even drove the car himself and said that - Stockbridge, GA, USA

Aug 242016

My car had the transmission control module reprogrammed on 06/06/16 and is having the same issue as we speak 8/24/16. The car jerks, doesn't accelerate properly and is doing what it wants, very unsafe as it doesn't want to shift and jolts when it does. It's almost like its stuck in gear. This car has been nothing but problems and I'm irritated that this was repaired 2 months ago and the problem clearly isn't fixed. I'm pregnant and am very dissapointed that Ford can allow a problem like this to continue without proper resolution and safety for its customers.

- Johnstown, NY, USA

Jul 092015

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fiesta. While shifting from first to second gear, there was a loud clicking noise coming from the front of the vehicle. While stopped at a red light, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle restarted. The failures recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the vehicle was functioning properly. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was approximately 69,456.

- Scotts Valley, CA, USA

Jul 312016

Unable to get car out of park, when I did, coming out of a parking lot, it stalled in middle of a busy street, had no power, transmission, stability and check engine light came on, after pushing on the gas peddle a few times, it finally, had enough power to drive it home.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Jun 272016

Vehicle has been one of many thousands to experience severe transmission issues, which have now become serious safety concerns due to Ford's inability to provide a solution. This 2011 Fiesta with automatic transmission was purchased new and had the sluggish feeling early on. Dealer said it was a "smart engine" and would have to learn driver's driving habits. The problem persisted and got considerably worse around 9K miles....took it in, failed transmissions clutch put it. Thought it was fine until it started doing the same thing...failed parts available- had to wait on parts. This is about the 5th or 6th time going through this process, except that now the problem is the most severe it's ever been (even with the a new clutch put in last week and being told it was "fixed'). car won't start at times, then when it does, it drives very sluggish - or won't come out of low gear (revs very high)....of if you get it into higher gear, it will suddenly slip out of it back down to low - very high rpms and very loud. It is hard to accelarate and know that it's going to go - this is especially troubling at an intersection making a left turn, on the highway with higher speed traffic etc. Many others have experienced this same problem very severely. Class action suit in ca now-- and one just started in australia. Same problems. Ford has continued to sell these cars for years, knowing that this problem is there- their only solution being to wait for parts and then get it "repaired" - except it is being repaired with parts that are no better and seem to be far worse than early on. It is scary to drive and feel safe - yet one has to get to work, etc. Ford is digging their heels in and still offering no remedy, knowing about these very unsafe situations that drivers are being put in. Please scan the internet regarding the many people who have had serious problems.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jun 122016

I have been dealing with transmission issues since I bought the vehicle. The first time it happened I was doing 50 mph and it shifted out of gear. This was quite disturbing. I took it in to Ford and they told me it just needed the program updated. Then during the winter it wouldn't go into gear at all, not forward, reverse or anything. Once again I took it in and they said it was the programming. They programed it again. So back in Feb it happened again, and I did then receive a letter stating there was some issues, so I was given a 100,000 mile warranty on fixing the issue. Well I told them to replace the tcm, but once again they love to reprogram. So my oldest son is in need of a vehicle and he was driving it up in madison Wisconsin on the most crazy freeway and it decided to lose the power doing more than 50 mph. My son was so stressed and was almost hit by a semi. I have had it with the reprogramming. I have emails and calls put into Ford and I am not asking for anything but a fix or to trade in and start over. They don't want to do anything for us at all. I guess they want someone to die first before they fix anything.

- Elkhorn, WI, USA

Jun 052016

Fiesta 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fiesta. The contact stated that the vehicle would not accelerate in reverse. The vehicle was shifted into drive, but there was still no acceleration. The vehicle accelerated afterwards to approximately 30 mph and grinding noises were present. The vehicle felt as if it were struggling to engage into gear. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, but they could not duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was invalid. The approximate failure mileage was 52,000. Updated 08/16/16 the consumer stated she decelerated, the vehicle lurched and bucked as if it were about to stall. The consumer stated a computer was replaced. Updated 08/30/016.

- Lincoln University, PA, USA

May 232016

Driving vehicle on expressway and vehicle just cut off. Been complaining to Ford since I purchased vehicle about 2 years now, took it in for repairs several time. Was told that the problem is corrected but it keeps doing the same thing. It will roll back when I stop at a light or stop sign. This is dangerous. This time I was lucky nothing serious happened. Next time I might not be.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Oct 012015

Took my car in for a recall on the trans/clutch (my car is automatic). Less than 3 months later the trans was grinding hard, slipping and stalling while driving. I took it back in. Its been about 3 months and my trans is starting to act up again. Ford says there is nothing they can do about it because its acting like they knew it was going to. That Ford sold a bad trans and its the "characteristics" of the trans.

- Sandwich, IL, USA

Apr 302016

Hesitation, jerking and clutch grinding noises. Went to make a left hand turn and my car hesitated on acceleration causing a near fatal accident from an on coming car. Luckily the oncoming car was able to slow down enough to avoid hitting my passenger side where my daughter was sitting. I have been experiencing hesitation, severe jerking and grinding of the clutch the entire weekend.

- Trenton, MI, USA

Apr 282016

Vehichle has been returned to a Ford dealer numerous times for transmission issues. Has had all updates completed as required by the dealer, yet continue to have transmission issues. The vehicle shudders and hesitates while attempting to shift gears (it is an automatic transmission). This occurs at low speeds as well as higher speeds. Feel it may be a risk for causing an accident. The dealer says there is nothing more they can do.

- Cumberland, MD, USA

Apr 222012

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fiesta. While putting out of a parking space, the vehicle jerked and lost power. The contact had to wait until the traffic died down to pull out of the space. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the computer needed to be reset and the clutch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 15,000.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Apr 212016

From a stand still up until speed, every gear shift is meet with a shudder and feels like it slips while the transmission chages gear. Just recently the car started to jerk and stutter and I barely made it home. The rpms rise and dip and is undriveable. It has been brought in for transmission module reprogramming and inspection of transmission fluids. I thought in the past that the shaking and stuttering was normal, according to Ford that is normal. It's not that when my car started jerking and sputtering that I realize something is very wrong.Ford did give me an extended warranty for up to 70K miles. Also, I notice that when the surface is wet and I break gradually on a wet surface ie, painted street dividers, painted street signs or oil, ABS will break the vehicle, the vehicle will lock up causing it to slide and then when I get on the gas pedal the car will be unresponsive to my gas pedal input. Basically, I wouldn't be able to get out of hands way because the cars power to move for 2-3seconds is non existent.

- South San Francisco, CA, USA

Mar 192016

About 3 months after buying this used Fiesta, castro in milsboro, de found a leak under the motor. Since I wasn't loosing oil the Ford dealersip didn't think it was a major issue. In August of 2015 reverse slipped out 5 times in 4 weeks. Ford dealer in lewes, de finally looked into problem and found the transmission seal had blown causing fluid to get onto clutches and throw-out bearing. Two weeks later it was finally fixed. Now I'm having issues with hard shfting, and stalling between gears. The dealership in georgetown, de checked and stated the transmission was "within Ford peramiters". Ford customer support stated "if the problem escalates to please call us back" so the car still is shifting badly at this powing.

- Selbyville, DE, USA

Dec 122014

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fiesta. While driving at various speeds and attempting to stop, the vehicle would shudder and make an abnormal noise. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission failed. The contact stated that the vehicle was serviced under a manufacturer's satisfaction recall for the power train, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was brought back to the dealer where the software was updated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- St. Paul, MN, USA

Sep 142015

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fiesta. While driving at various speeds, the transmission stuttered. The contact stated that the failure previously occurred and the transmission would not shift. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission failed and needed to be repaired. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was brought back to the dealer twice for repairs, but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 45,000.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Mar 182016

"takata recall" when I stop at a red light, and then try to go when it turns green, 2 out of three times there is no forward gear. Then I have to turn on the 4way flashers, turn the key off and on again, then I can go forward. This is very dangerous in heavy traffic. Other times the car won't go into neutral when coming to a stop light, and wants to push you into the car in front of you, or thru the light! I've had it to the dealer probably 5 times, never ever helped. I tell the dealer every time I go there that the car is gonna kill me! I won't lend to anybody. I'm very uncomfortable driving my grandchildren in this car.

- Medina, NY, USA