2011 Ford Fiesta transmission problems: jerking/shuddering/hesitation when accelerating

Jerking/Shuddering/Hesitation When Accelerating

2011 Ford Fiesta (Page 1 of 3)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: Welcome to North America, Ford Fiesta. Thanks for bringing your herky-jerky transmission, numerous interior quality complaints, and an engine that dies while driving.

7.9

$590

2. replaced some part in the transmission (9 reports)
  3. replace transmission (7 reports)
  4. ford says "wait until it gets worse" (1 reports)
2011 Ford Fiesta transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Fiesta:

2011 Ford Fiesta Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jun 152016

Fiesta SE 4 cyl

I've had problems with this transmission the first day I bought it. The transmission didn't want to shift properly so Ford did fix that problem, but now it jerks really bad not all the time but when it happens you almost get whip lash. The gas mileage is terrible also, i don't know if its because of the transmission or what it is. All I know is it's getting very very annoying.

It happens when your at a stop and when you start going it jerks and sometimes its too the point you don't know if it will die on you.

- Sandra M., Marion, US

Jul 202016

Fiesta DB

I took my car into for the transmission repair and they replaced the clutch part the first time. The second time, a few months later, they said it was not warrantied anymore. They told me it would cost over $2000 to fix at $165,000 miles with no guarantees that it was the problem, and I would need a new transmission. My car would have been paid off in 18 months. Instead I was told to buy another car. It would not shift, It would not go over 30 miles per hour, It rattles and hesitated pulling out into traffic from a stop sign or light. Very Scary with a car full of kids. I am 51 years old and did not want to buy another car at this point. I felt I was put into the position with no choice. I have to have a reliable vehicle to get back and forth to school and work. The quality of cars and the expected life span should be like the old days. We would buy a vehicle and it would last for 20 years. Now, they do not last for 3-5 years, and they cost more. I am still very upset that I was sold a lemon. I called an attorney and never received a call back. So, I bought another car.

- Cammie D., Howard City, US

Feb 062017

Fiesta SES 120-Hp,1.6L-Liter1-4 Regu

My car sometimes when I am driving jerks and sometimes it stalls and has a knocking sound. I have taken it to transmission mechanic to check it out but they say I got a bad deal. I am still making car payments and it is hurting me badly. Sometimes the engine light comes on has well. The left window on the passenger side does not go up and down.

I had a recall for Ford to fix the clutch and the left front window on the passenger side and they did. repair it. Currently I am having problems with the left window on the passenger side going up and down again. I have kept the maintenance up on the car, but last week when I got a oil change and came home all of the oil came out of the car, since I had the car that never happened.

I contacted the car mechanic immediately to fix it they came out and took my car and flush the engine and gave me another oil and fluid change. I need Ford to check out my engine and transmission. I owe $5000.00 more on my car and I do like my car because it is good on gas. But I cannot afford the high maintenance and car payment at the same time. I feel my car can put me down at anytime. I feel I got a raw deal.

Roland Deigh, Garner, NC

- deigh, Garner, US

May 072017

Fiesta SE V6

My car is NOT a manual, however it seems to want to be!! If I depress the brake pedal, it rolls backwards!! While driving, it jerks and sputters and only on occasion!! It is very nerve racking to turn left through a busy intersection as it feels like it is going to stall. I'm so disappointed in this cute little car :(

- Cathy R., Newmarket, ON, Canada

May 312013

Fiesta Powershift 1.6L

Ford sold recalled Fiestas in South Africa and now does not want to own up. I reported the issue of the transmission at its second service and still they are unwilling to fix this at their cost. All that was done was software updates as a temporary fix. The car is fitted with a DSP transmission which is irreparable. They want me to pay for a repair so that they can test. After all the back and forth with the various departments from the Head Office to the Dealerships, do yourself a favour and do not buy a Ford. They bury their head in the sand when the problem arises and find every excuse not to fix the junk they sell.

- mellow, Gauteng, South Africa

Jan 172017

Fiesta

This is my sons car and a problem that needs fixing. I have a 2012 Titanium Ford Focus and Ford had to replace my transmission as it shuddered and flat stopped working. I am hoping Ford will fix this too,

- Kelly W., Everett, WA, US

Sep 302016

Fiesta SE

So a couple weeks back, I run the vehicle health report in my 2011 Ford Fiesta SE - hatch, if anyone cares. just for the sake of playing with the features and because i'm almost at 57k, and figured I should be getting ready for a checkup. Everything checked out wonderfully.

However, right after, the "seemingly normal" rattle that my car used to give off while driving started to become significantly worse and way louder and noticeable immediately after this. Not sure if the health report is to blame, but it was the last thing I had done before things got crazy. The car at low speeds sounds ridiculous (loud, grinding, shuddering), it revs super high (like 3-5k just barely going 15-20mph), idles high and shakes the whole car. The gears slip when upshifting and they jerk REALLY HARD when downshifting. It feels dangerous driving in the city, because I'll try to slow down behind someone and it jerks forward and revs really hard and forces me to apply the brakes very hard to stop it from slamming into them. Upshifting is weird too, because it's unpredictable. If I try to merge into a highway or switch lanes, I need to wait for a HUGE gap before I trust that I can make it because sometimes it picks up, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes I can't go more than 25mph then it suddenly slips and jerks into gear and goes faster. Needless to say the mechanic found nothing wrong with the car and zero fault codes. Then he replaced my alternator belt because it was pretty cooked.

This went on for a week or so. I then ran the vehicle health report in the car again to see if it found any issues... nothing. Within 24 hours warning lights started to pop up. Not sure if the health report identified the issues or created the issues. I went ahead and googled a bunch of stuff after all my lights started going crazy and found these things to be linked to an FSA that Ford put out for the TCM. I went to my nearest dealer and they said they'd fix it and that it was covered. Lo and behold, I get a call saying it can't be fixed. The woman I spoke to tells me now that my alternator isn't charging the vehicle enough and the MAF sensor and throttle body are faulty and she can't update the TCM until those are fixed. They quoted me $1650 + tax (about $1800 with NY tax) - and I bet they'd expect a tip after that. They also said that this might not actually fix the problem. That it's just what they "think is going to help." So if I spend $1800 fixing the car and the problem recurs (like I've seen in a lot of complaints on here and other sites) - then what? I'm down a ton of money for no reason. This thing feels like a burden and I'm scared to really use it. I found a possible fix online for the alternator issue which involves buffing down the painted slab of metal that is grounding the battery, but I haven't tried it. I also revved the engine very hard on the highway like another fix said (which actually seemed to have helped a lot with upshifting, it still jerks and hesitates to pick up, but it seems a tiny bit better). If I can fix the alternator issue without having to replace it (I don't think it's bad, my mechanic didn't find any issues) then I can hopefully have the software reprogrammed and temporarily fix this problem. And why won't ford put out an FSA for the throttle body like they did with the Fusion? They know their stuff is faulty and they let these cars sit on the road... a hazard to everyone else.

- Justin M., Bronx, NY, USA

Nov 032016

Fiesta

I just replaced it less than one year and it came back again. Unbelivable!

- Wei G., Whitby, ON, Canada

Jun 202016

Fiesta SE

I HATE this car. It is a LEMON and I was the tart sucker. This issue is all over the Internet and Ford will not do anything. The transmission was replaced once, the clutch was replaced once, and then the transmission was replaced AGAIN in an attempt to fix this repeated issue while it was under warranty and extended warranty. It went away for a little bit but now it is happening again just as soon as my warranty expired and they did not give the option to renew it any longer.

The dealer just said "Oh its normal" and gave me some long spiel about the type of transmission the car is using that that is why it does this and its "normal". Well I'm sorry it is NOT normal to sputter around on a straightaway and then be jerked into oblivion as the car switches gears internally.

Stuttering/hesitation when accelerating and then jerks that almost send you through the windshield for no apparent reason at all. Grinding sounds when first accelerating and puttering sounds when automatic switching gears driving.

I will never buy another Ford car ever again and recommend nobody ever does.

I bought this car right out of school to be my first car, brand new, and feel like I made the biggest mistake ever. For $26,000 then and now I am trying to dump it for less than $3,000 according to KBB because nobody wants this POS

Do NOT buy this year (2011) and I hear the same issues with the 2013 ones as well. No matter what I will never buy another FORD. My neighbor joked about what "F.O.R.D" stands for when I got it and after my experience with this car I believe it is the truth! FOUND ON ROAD DEAD!

- C M., Buffalo, NY, USA

Aug 042016

Fiesta

The 2011 Fiesta lurches forward, experiences delayed acceleration, delayed downshifting and has trouble stopping.. Ford replaced the TCM but problem continued. Now Ford doesn't care if vehicle is unsafe to drive and can cause accident or hurt someone. Going back to the Ford Service Department and see what they going to say.

- Gil M., Spring Branch, TX, USA

Jun 212016

Fiesta SE 4

My Fiesta is 2011 only 42500 miles and has had transmission worked on. changed transmission parts today is the third time. Helps for about 75-100 miles and the right back to same way or worse. has now started not engaging in gear when pulling out of red light. Ford is smart at the way they do this it takes 2-3 weeks to get it looked at again. Then again takes 2 -3 weeks to get parts, then when they do get parts then you have to wait another 3 weeks to take it back . So to get the worked o n you have been at it for 6-8 weeks. It makes it look like their band-aide is helping and not. FORD MOTOR COMPANY ARE GOING TO BECOME THE NEXT GM WHEN PEOPLE ARE GETTING KILLED. I purchased the extended warranty and have been waiting today for 10 hours for a rental

I will be taking a beating on this car but plan on trading it off. There is no way I would sell this piece of junk to anyone especially for young driver

- Tammy J., Geenup, KY, USA

Dec 062013

Fiesta SFE 1.6L

• CVT transmission

Having shift issues, I don't think Ford was aware of the transmission clutch issues at this time.

- Grace M., Tehachapi, CA, US

Jan 012015

Fiesta SE

WE PURCHASED THIS CAR IN OCTOBER 2014 FROM OUR LOCAL FORD DEALER BECAUSE OF MY JOB LOSS AND FUTURE JOB IN HOME HEALTH, I KNEW I WOULD BE DRIVING A LOT AND WANTED A CAR WITH GOOD GAS MILEAGE. THE DEALER SAID NOTHING OF THE TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS THE FORD FIESTA MODEL WAS HAVING. ABOUT 3 MONTHS LATER IT BEGAN SHUDDERING AND SLIPPING AND SEEMED LIKE IT WAS SKIPPING THE 2ND GEAR ALTOGETHER. FORD PUT A NEW CLUTCH IN THE TRANSMISSION, THEY HAD MY CAR FOR A WEEK. LESS THAN 6 MONTHS LATER SAME PROBLEM, THEY ASSURED US THE 2ND FIX WOULD FIX IT FOREVER. NOW IT IS ABOUT 4 MONTHS LATER AND IT IS DOING IT AGAIN. WHEN YOU START TO ACCELERATE IT SHUDDERS AROUND AND IS SLOW TO GO IN GEAR, ACTS LIKE IT IS GOING TO STALL. I AM AFRAID TO PULL OUT INTO FAST MOVING TRAFFIC BECAUSE I DON'T THINK IT CAN GET UP TO SPEED VERY FAST SO I HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL THERE IS A BIG BREAK IN TRAFFIC BEFORE I FEEL I CAN SAFELY PULL OUT WITHOUT GETTING HIT. I CANNOT AFFORD A NEW CAR AND I NOW HAVE 2 GRANDCHILDREN TO HAUL AROUND IN THIS CAR. 1 IS A BABY!!!! i HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A FORD CUSTOMER BUT AM VERRRRRY DISAPPOINTED WITH THERE LACK OF CARING!!! I WILL PROBABLY JOIN A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT THAT I JUST HEARD ABOUT BECAUSE OF THERE FAILURE TO ACKNOWLEDGE AND BE HONEST ABOUT THE PERFORMANCE ISSUES OF THIS CAR!!!! YOU CAN GET 40 MILES A GALLON ALL DAY LONG BUT IF THE CAR IS NOT DRIVEABLE AND HAS LITTLE RESALE VALUE WHAT GOOD IS IT?

- Levita L., Aurora, MO, USA

Jun 012012

Fiesta SES

Had this problem fixed several time and now at 200,000kms it need to be done again but Ford claims it is now my responsibility! Can't sell a car with this many issues and still sleep at night!

- angkerr, Tusket, NS, Canada

Sep 012013

Fiesta

After about a year of buying this car, it began hesitating when I would accelerate, though not terrible. Eventually it began jerking when accelerating. In 2015 I received a recall fro Ford stating the computer needed updated. So, Ford updated the computer and seemed to be "OK" for a little while before the hesitation began again. I usually have cars for 10 years but I have never had issues like this. Makes me wish I had never bought this car.

- Jeff J., Indianapolis, IN, USA

Apr 042014

Fiesta

I got this vehicle in September 2011. I noticed the shuddering, but it was intermittent. With time you get used to it. I got the recall notice in 2015 for the transmission. I got the new transmission put in, of course I had to take it back two times in two days because first they forgot to reconnect the clutch, then forgot to reconnect the brake plate. It drove better for a few months, and now it is worse that it was before. Of course you can never recreate it for the shop. I have people who will not ride in my car. They do not feel safe with the shuddering, the stalling and the surging when we drive.

- Antessa W., Garland, TX, US

Jun 012015

Fiesta Sport 1.6L

Love this car, however the transmission is giving me a headache.

- afai5ive, Seri Kembangan, Malaysia

May 112013

Fiesta

So, long story short. I was able to get a full refund from Ford after suing them under the California Lemon Law. The infamous transmission dual clutch problem first appeared in May of 2013. I bought my 2011 Ford Fiesta brand new in May of 2011.

The first problems appeared when the Fiesta had 40644 miles on it and was jerking when I would try to accelerate. They first said that the fix would be some firmware (no fix). Then they replaced the dual clutch assembly in the transmission. That took care of the problem for awhile, but started happening again. Took it back to Ford and they replaced the dual clutch assembly again. During that time my rear right door popped open and would not close (latch).

Took it in and they replaced the door latch assembly (this problem is also happening to many other Fiestas). Then I started having radio problems where the radio would not power off no matter what I did. Car would be turned off and locked, but radio would stay on (drained my battery twice). Could never replicate problem at dealer.

At that point I called a lawyer and sent them all my repair invoices. That was in November 2014. My lawyer said I had a good case under the Lemon Law (even tho I already had the car 3 years and 6 months). I then had to have the dual clutch replaced again (3rd time). It took about 6 months for the case to go to arbitration, and in May 2015, Ford settled with me. I got back every penny that I paid for the car brand new (minus tax and license), plus Ford paid all lawyer fees separately.

All I can say is that the 2011 Ford Fiesta has a major transmission problem that they do not know how to deal with. Their only solution is to keep replacing the dual clutch assembly. They have not come up with a new design for a permanent fix.

- Hector N., Antioch, CA, US

Nov 122014

Fiesta

The car is very unsafe with the shudder and and lack of acceleration. Ford tells me I might not be used to the dual clutch transmission even though I drove it for 40,000 miles without issue. I think they are waiting for someone to die before they truly acknowledge the problem. This is bullshit !!!

- Candee M., Lancaster, OH, USA

Jul 202015

Fiesta

So the car from day one collected dirt in the wheels and would go out of balance. Fords response was to stop by the dealer and they would clean the wheels. So the wife was complaining about a vibration in the car, I just said we have dirt in the wheels again and cleaned the wheels again for the 2,000 time. She kept complaining so I took the car in and the dealer said I have a problem with the transmission that Ford had extended the warranty but I was over the miles so there is no help. Sure glad Ford knows there is a problem but won't admit that my wife is not a mechanic. She thought, as I did, that the vibration was in the wheels again! Been going on since I bought the car in 2011. Mr Garcia from Ford customer relations said Ford will not cover the transmission past 100,000 miles. I guess that Ford thinks that the car should be replaced. I will never buy another Ford product as long as I live, and I am sure that Ford could care less about customers returning to buy a new car!!!

- Thomas W., Brighton, MI, USA