2014 Ford Fiesta drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ford Fiesta:

2014 Ford Fiesta Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Oct 222015

Transmission shutters on accell, its jers and slips when going up hills and when going into park, it bucks when driving and recently started swearing out of of control.... most bucking and shutters when acelling or merging into bucks most when stop and then making a turn

- Tucker, GA, USA

Oct 212015

Engine light came on in the middle of traffic on span leading to the gw bridge-message stated transmission hot, turn off vehicle for 6 minutes. Second message was "stop or speed-up" I had to navigate the car to the shoulder in rush hour and turn the car off. I called the dealer since it had been serviced a little over a week ago. They were suppose to address the recall items and reported transmission problem of excessive vibration of the transmission. Very dangerous!!!!!

- Denville, NJ, USA

Oct 162015

The car has 17250 miles on it. I have been having transmission problems. Shuddering, shaking, jerking, jolting, sudden or delayed acceleration have all been problems. Low speeds seem to be an issue with it. It seems to shudder in between 1st and 2nd gears. I also have had it stall while in reverse. I have taken it to the Ford dealership, they are aware of the issue, have had multiple complaints, and said they would reprogram the software to make the shift changes more smooth. It is still exhibiting the same issues. Harsh shuddering, gears slipping, clicking and noises. It's just a matter of time before this vehicle kills someone. I wasn't told that this car would operate any differently than any other car. The dealership says that all of these symptoms are 'normal' for the kind of transmission that they sold me and that it's still safe to drive. Even when I took it in to get reprogrammed for the shuddering, the technician said that "it's still going to do it." What"! it wasn't doing it before and now you want me to deal with a shuddering vehicle? and you say you still can't fix it" that's terrible. I've owned Ford's all my life and this is my first new car and I feel like I've made a terrible decision and it's barely got 20,000 miles on it. More importantly, the safety. I've had more than one close call with trying to accelerate and the transmission not responding in enough time to get out of the way. Operates unlike any other vehicle I've owned and not in a good way.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Sep 162015

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Fiesta. While driving at approximately 5 mph, the vehicle jerked and hesitated when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the clutch assembly, fuel assembly, plate cylinder, cylinder assembly, and transmission fluid needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 7,000.

- Manteca, CA, USA

Sep 022015

I purchased this vehicle new in 12/2014. When purchasing, it was represented as having an automatic transmission. The window sticker also identifies as an automatic trans. The car hesitates when starting from a stop positon. Shifting is irregular and the engine races between various shifts, I.e. often between first and second shift. During this period, I loose complete control of the vehicle. When driving a higher speeds above 40 miles/hour, when depressing the accelerator, it will not down shift for more power acceleration. When starting from a stopped position, there is like a grinding noise. I have take this vehicle to the Ford dealership on 4 separate occasions to which they tested the computer and transmission and dismiss my complaint. The service representatives say that this is not an automatic transmission but instead a manual shift trans. And this is what you can expect. The performance of the transmission is not predicable and I find myself on guard having to constantly be cautious of unexpected performance such as hesitation and delayed responses.

- Wentzville, MO, USA

Sep 062015

Problem is the transmission failed to engage when I pressed on the gas petal to go, it took almost a full second after pressing the accelerator, I would estimate, before the transmission would engage into 1st gear. I have had it happen before to a lesser extent, all randomly, so I never know when it will or won't go when I press on the gas petal. Very dangerous if you need to cross traffic and the car just sits there then decides to shoot you out into oncoming traffic. I also had problems with shuddering at low speeds, and hard shifting from 4th to 5th gear.

- Cass City, MI, USA

Mar 142015

When attempting to enter a highway from a ramp as I attempted to accelerate into traffic the transmission shook and the car slowed almost causing a rear end collision. This has been a continuous problem no control over car speeding up or slowing down on its own at times.

- Taunton, MA, USA

Mar 022015

We purchased the car lightly used and are the second owner. We bought it with about 7,500 miles on the odo. When accelerating from a stop, the transmission shutters and vibrates, sometimes violently causing a pause in the acceleration which has sometimes been problematic in tough traffic situations. If stopped on a hill and trying to accelerate, the car struggles between 1st and 2nd gear and to accelerate. We view this as a major safety concern. Upon taking it to the dealership three times, they common answer is that "it acts that way because it has a transmission that is a manual transmission linked with an automatic" and no attempt is ever made to fix the problem. Only one time, they did a computer update, but the problem still existed, and so we took it back and received the answer given above. The transmission does not function safely or appropriately, and should be recalled. It has caused us a lot of stress when getting on highways or major roadways because of the acceleration (or lack of) issue. Plus when the car jolts, shakes, and vibrates violently, you feel like the whole car is going to break apart.

- Gresham, OR, USA

Oct 012014

Car stutters and jerks when moving slow, or coming from S stop. The dual clutches have been replaced twice already.

- Chesterfield, VA, USA

Feb 162015

This vehicle has a transmission that causes bucking, kicking, jerking, harsh engagement, rough shifts, shuddering, delayed acceleration, red-lining prior to shifting, and feeling like it is returning to neutral during stop. This issue has been turned over to the dealer service center and Ford motor service. Both claim there is a clutch isse that is not a life safety issue and will not damage the vehicle long term. Both claim the parts are on back order and should be installed in 3-8 months.

- Springdale, AR, USA

Sep 012014

After purchasing my vehicle in Aug 2014 I noticed upon acceleration from a complete stop or coming out of a turn at slow speeds, the car shutters and there is a brief hesitation. I have to press the gas pedal a few short times to get it to stop and accelerate normally. Also I noticed the vehicle has also seemed like it was going to stall out a few times at an almost complete stop. When I press the brakes the RPM goes back to normal.

- Irving, TX, USA

Apr 062015

When putting the car into reverse it would grind and kick it into netural, shifting to 2nd to 3rd the stick shift woild make me go to 5th instead then go back to 3rd. Jerking when turning at an intersection making it difficult to make a safe turn.

- Mt. Laurel, NJ, USA

Oct 032014

While driving my clutch slips giving a shutter feeling and causing my car to feel as if it will stop. It also, at times, makes a banging sound and it momentarily will stop. Ford has been told of these conditions but still has not fixed the conditions after taking it into the service department on 3 different occasions. I am afraid I will be driving down the road and it will cause me to wreck.

- Piqua, OH, USA

Oct 092014

On October 9th 2014, my new Ford Fiesta at 7500 miles began shuttering violently at low speeds. It jerked the car backward when trying to drive in reverse, and it jerked the vehicle forward when taking off at a safe and normal acceleration from a red light. It felt like the transmission was about to fall out from underneath the vehicle. My mother and girlfriend were in the vehicle while I was driving and this incident presented a great safety concern. Due to being in the military, I had to wait until the first week of December 2014 to take my car to Ford. They tested the vehicle and said that they recognized the shudder I complained about and they reset the computer in the vehicle. On the report they said the vehicle was in factory specs, so as a result of that report, they didn't order new clutches and seals which was explained to me that those new parts would fix the problem. Instead they just did a temporary fix by resetting the computer in order to get me out the door. I picked up the car December 5th 2014 and 6 days later the shudder returned. Now I have another appointment to bring the vehicle in to a Ford dealership on Monday March 30th 2015 and the agent there said that if the test comes back that the car is in factory specs they wont make any repairs on the vehicle and call me to pick up my broken vehicle. This will result in me driving a safety hazard vehicle that I still owe $17,000 on with no repairs being done to fix the problem. I need help! please NHTSA listen to the thousands of complaints and safety concerns and make Ford have a recall for these transmissions. Mine and thousands of others lives could depend on it. Thank you for your time.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Mar 142014

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Fiesta. The contact stated that the hard edge on the trim of the steering wheel would constantly cut the contact's hand. Also, the contact mentioned that the steering wheel would vibrate and a buzzing noise emitted from the steering column. In addition, the vehicle failed to shift when in reverse, the vehicle would grind and independently shift in to neutral. The traction control and hill assist also intermittently illuminate while driving. The vehicle was taken to two different dealer, on 5 separate occasions. The technician diagnosed that the power steering module, sensors, nvh tape, steering wheel, steering module, reprogrammed main computer, and air bags were all replaced. A Ford engineer was contacted to diagnose the cause of all these failures. However, all failures except the traction control and hill assist light were not rectified. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failures. The failure mileage was 2,420.

- Grand Island, FL, USA

Mar 072015

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Fiesta. While driving 50 mph, the vehicle jerked and the gears shifted automatically without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 38,000.

- El Prado , NM, USA

Mar 082015

Transmission shifts hard and rattles the car. Also causing wheel spin when shifting.

- Middleburg Heights, OH, USA

Apr 012014

Fiesta 4-cyl

2014 Ford Fiesta SE with about 15,000 miles started having shuttering problems that are extremely violent and could cause loss of control and is thought to be a safety concern to driver and others on road. I have owns this car since brand new from the dealership. I started having problems with the powertrain around 14000 miles. The problem is a severe shutter problem when you accelerate. The only way to stop this problem when it is happening is to let the gas pedal out of give it a lot more gas. This can happen at any speed from 5 mph to 50 mph that I have experienced it. The shutter jerks the driver forward and backward very forcefully. I took the car in under warranty and was told that the this is normal and sent back home. At 15000 miles I took the car in and they said the dual clutch seal was leaking and therefore ruined the clutch. They replaced all parts and called to say it was complete. They left voicemail, and when I called dealership back they said the new parts had broke while on the test drive and they had to order exact parts again. Dealership took another few days to fix and then I received the car. Now Feb 2015 car is doing exact same thing and has 24000 miles on. The shuttering is a safety concern as it could result in my wife or I loosing control of the vehicle when it does this at high speed. I do not understand how this does not cause a safety violation? thanks for your time.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Nov 052014

Fiesta 4-cyl

Vehicle exhibits a constant shuttering/jarring effect from the transmission while under acceleration and during shifts. Vehicle transmission issue causes intermittent acceleration which results could cause an accident. Vehicle has been entered for service on 2 separate occasions for this issue, and has yet be resolved.

- Pearland, TX, USA

Jan 262015

2014 Ford Fiesta auto with 4982 has developed a serious juddering and loss of power when moving away from stand still or accelerating at low speed. This has caused problems entering major roads and on testing the problem I had to move over quickly to a side turn to prevent an 18 wheeler running in the back of the Fiesta. Moving off forward is very jerky and reversing has the same problem. This seriously affects the ability to drive this vehicle safely and in less experienced hands will lead to serious accidents. I have many years experience in motor sport, road testing vehicles and have passed the institute of advanced motorists in the uk, one of the most difficult driving tests in the world today. The Ford Fiesta in question is used on the roads of Florida usa in my opinion there should be a major recall before there is a fatality.

- Eustis, FL, USA