2014 Ford Fiesta drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ford Fiesta:

2014 Ford Fiesta Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Sep 202014

While at a stop light and attempting to accelerate the car hesitated and did a jumping like shudder/shaking. It stopped after the car was just above the 20 mph mark. Since it did not happened again for a few weeks did not take it into consideration, and did not attempt to take it to the dealer. Most of the times they tell you the hesitation and shaking need to be present when the inspect the vehicle to determine the cause of it. I was researching some tsb# and found out this shaking and hesitation was a more serious problem that we (my spouse and I) thought and wanted to file a complaint about this.

- Imperial Beach , CA, USA

Jan 152015

Fiesta 4-cyl

Since I purchased the vehicle in September 2013 I have been having issues with the vehicle accelerating, stalling, and jerking forward. On Thursday, January 15, 2015 at 8:00 pm I was driving and the engine light randomly turns on and the vehicle clicks on and off, the vehicle stalls and I almost hit the car in front of me. There have been several instances where I almost got into car accidents because of the transmission on this vehicle. Currently going back and forth with the dealer every time who states a certain amount of variation such as shuddering and jerking is normal with these transmissions however this car is not safe. I can only hope that enough people will complain where something will be done soon to get these cars into operable driving conditions.

- Sunrise, FL, USA

Jan 052015

Fiesta 4-cyl

Bought car on June 1 2014. Transmission shutters (slips) from 1st to 3rd gear. Try to accelerate and it shutters (slips) from gear to gear. Could be a safety issue as going into traffic or a light it hesitates which could lead to an accident. After reading articles on this issue with the transmission (Fiesta's & Focus's) this should be looked into as a safety issue by the NHTSA. Ford seems to not know how to fix correctly. Adjust computer, put new clutch pads on, etc. Seems no clear fix to problem. I feel this should be considered for a recall.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Dec 212013

Fiesta 4-cyl

I've brought the vehicle to Ford dealership service departments several times now for the same transmission shuddering and slipping issue. When taking delivery of the vehicle, and on every subsequent visit to a service department, I was warned that the powershift 6-speed automated manual transmission requires a "break-in" period of several thousand miles and that I may notice harsh shifting or noises. In reality, the transmission hasn't ever functioned correctly, and on each dealership trip, a lets-try-the-next-step approach is taken. First a engine malfunction indicator lamp was cleared for a known firmware bug in the transmission control module (tcm), for a problem whose fix was not yet released by Ford. Next, the tcm was updated. Driveability improved for a while but then degraded again, getting worse day by day. Next, the tcm couldn't be updated (it was already up to date) so a new clutch assembly was ordered. Finally, the clutch assembly was replaced, but not the transmission intake seals because they were brown (latest spec?). it has only been a few days since the most recent repair (clutch replacement) but the dealership advised that the new clutches will eventually fail in exactly the same way as Ford has not yet corrected the underlying issue. When the vehicle shudders during acceleration, there is an increased risk of an accident from oncoming cars (while making a left turn) or from cars behind me.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Jan 082015

Fiesta 4-cyl

When the car is stopped in traffic and I push the pedal to accelerate and there is a delayed reaction. When the car finally does accelerate, it does it in a "hopping" motion. When the car gets up to 20mph, it starts shaking and doesn't stop until I accelerate even further. Sometimes the car has acceleration problems at higher speeds, but most frequently has acceleration problems at lower speeds. It feels like the transmission is slipping and sometimes the car is jerky while driving.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Dec 232014

I purchased a 2014 Ford Fiesta in May 2014. In December 2014, the vehicle began exhibiting significant shuddering and would slip out of gear when accelerating from low speeds and from a complete stop. When I contacted the Ford dealership for assistance, they did not seem concerned and offered to schedule an appointment for a month later. I am currently waiting for that appointment. Internet research has shown that this is apparently a common problem with this vehicle, which needs to be addressed by Ford asap.

- Simi Valley, CA, USA

Dec 012014

Fiesta 4-cyl

I have been taking off after stopping and the transmission or fuel injection misses causing the vehicle to not engage the drive train just right. The vehicle hesitates, lurches, and shutters. The vibration is bad and I'm worried if I take off from a stop light or sign, the vehicle does not engage the drive train, I might be hit by another vehicle because I cannot get the vehicle out of the path of traffic due to the hesitation. This is a very serious safety issue and something must be done to correct the problem.

- Crestview, FL, USA

Nov 172014

Fiesta 4-cyl

Transmission shudders going into gears. It shudders going from 2nd to 3rd and then 3rd to 4th. When if finally goes into 4th gear it lurches. Transmission will also shudder while cruising at low speeds of 10 to 15 mph and if braking then accelerating suddenly. When I finally took it into the dealership, it was slipping in and out of gear.

- Etiwanda, CA, USA

Oct 062014

Fiesta 4-cyl

When we take off from a stop sign. The car stutters, loses power like it is going to stall. Has a roll back issue from a stop on a hill. My biggest problem if I am entering an intersection and someone were to run a stop sign I have no ability to step on the gas and get my car out of the way. Has the stutter between the gears in the lower range. I had it into the Ford dealer and he said they get 10 to 15 complaints a day on this problem. And they know it is there but can not do anything because Ford is telling them it is ok. I have wrote to Ford vie E mail and they are not responding. I would give up the so call extra mileage it is supposed to create for a safe vehicle to drive.

- North Ridgeville , OH, USA

Mar 142014

The vehicle hesitates, grinds and jumps whenever you press on the gas to accelerate. Sometimes the car will jump and just slow down even if my foot is all the way to the ground with the pedal. The transmission is the issue since I have taken it to Ford numerous times and every time the tell me the "grinding, jumping, hesitation is normal for an automatic/manual transmission". apparently this is new for Ford as they have what they call an automatic/manual transmission. Meaning the car drives like it would be a stick shift but automatically does it. It is unsafe! sometimes the jerking is so bad my head will jerk!! I feel like I was ripped off with this car and am so mad that I made this purchase!

- Glenside, PA, USA

Nov 012013

The transmission has been shaking and hesitating on acceleration since about 1 1/2 months after I got it. When it tries to switch gears it jerks and acts like it doesn't want to pull. The RPM's will rev up to about 4,000 and then drop down to about 1,500 and I will have to let off the gas entirely for it to steady out. The car shakes and jerks so hard at times that it feels like it is going to fall apart. I called the dealership and they say nothing is wrong with it, although I've known of several people to have issues with their Fiesta transmissions and I have read of multiple having accidents due to their acceleration issues.

- Danville, KY, USA

Sep 082014

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Fiesta. The contact stated that while traveling at various speeds, the transmission exhibited a loud noise and there was an abnormal vibration. Also, the contact indicated that the gears were intermittently slipping and the failure was getting progressively worse. The failure was reported to the authorized dealer on multiple occasions but the vehicle was not inspected or diagnosed. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician verified the failure and referred the contact to the authorized dealer to re-flash the computer. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 10,000.

- Nokomis, FL, USA

Oct 172014

Fiesta 4-cyl

I bought a 2014 Ford Fiesta with automatic/manual transmission in March. It ran awesome for 6 months, a really fun car. It just recently started shifting rough, jumping, lurching, sputtering while accelerating from a dead stop. About to go to the dealer for the first time about the issue. Not happy. The reason we bought a new car was to have something economical and reliable. I have read many other complaints about the same issue for this vehicle. I wish I would have read them before we bought the car. This is dangerous if acceleration is needed to avoid a collision and the car has no power.

- Olympia, WA, USA

Nov 052013

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Fiesta. The contact stated while driving at various speeds, the vehicle began shaking and jerked forward without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. However, the failure was not diagnosed nor was the vehicle repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 30.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Oct 152014

Fiesta 4-cyl

The vehicle shakes during shifting. Sometimes there is a loss of power. Other times the car accelerates more than expected. I have taken the car to the dealership and they are not able to repair the vehicle. I feel that if the car does not respond predictably, there is a risk of accident. The internet discussion groups are full of thousands of other people with the same problem, some have already been involved in accidents. Ford has acknowledged that the transmission is faulty by extending the warranty. Despite Ford extended warranty, the safety issue still exists and they will not remedy the situation unless someone forces them. Please help.

- Tehachapi, CA, USA

Oct 282014

Fiesta 4-cyl

Whole front end of vehicle shaking when trying to move forward. Bad transmission fluid burning smell. Once moving every time it shifted between gears it would shake the front end of car. After this incident and starting the car the next day it ran fine until it warmed up. When trying to make appointment to have repaired was told it can take anywhere from 1 - 6 months for this to happening even though I have just have the car in the week before to same issue just not a bad. They did take it in after making many complaints but I don't think I will see it for at least a month and suspect it will have a new trans in it when I get it back. It will fail again and again. Guess it is a good thing I bought the 100,000 mile warranty when I bought the car...

- Commerce Twp, MI, USA

Oct 082014

When taking off from a stop light/sign, vehicle shutters. I believe it is coming from the transmission. I have the automatic transmission. After reaching approx. 10 mph, it seems to stop. Appears to be getting worse. Called dealership and they advise they have had numerous complaints. Will not honor any warranty since car was salvaged even though no mechanical damages occurred. (was hit on passenger doors) from what I have read online, this is an ongoing problem with the Fiesta and Focus but yet Ford will not do a re-call. Seems to be a dangerous problem and they are choosing to ignore.

- Andover, KS, USA

Jul 042014

Fiesta 4-cyl

When we bought the vehicle they said there would be some abnormal noises in the transmission during break in (1000 miles) and it should go away. The noises didn't start until around 4500 miles. On July 4, 2014 we took a 600 mile round trip (mileage at this time is 7200). At approximately half way through this trip we start smelling burnt oil. The vehicle then started to shudder and shack while accelerating from first to second and second to third gears and didn't stop. Took the vehicle to the dealer and they reprogrammed the software and said some slipping is normal operation for this transmission. This worked for three days then it went back to shuddering and shaking but worse than before. 2 days later we almost got hit while trying to pull out into traffic because the transmission would not shift and power wasn't there.

- Hanover, PA, USA

Apr 162014

Fiesta 4-cyl

Transmission shakes and shudders when changing gear. When going home I have to go up a hill and make a turn to go up another hill. When I slow down to turn and go up the next hill the transmission shudders. If I slow down in traffic and restart while rolling I get the shudder. Several times when at a traffic light I have started to go and the car in front stops suddenly I hit my brakes and the car almost stales and then when I do go I get the shudder. Sometimes I think the drive shaft is going to drop.

- Cohoes, NY, USA

Sep 282014

Fiesta 4WD 4-cyl

Upon light acceleration vehicle shudders as if engine drops a cylinder. Former mechanic for 40 years. Problem is in transmission. Positive it is clutch slippage. Have an appointment with Ford dealer in cheshire ct. 10/8/2014. Was told a reprogram would be first try to fix. Then a parts replacement. Which I am sure they meant clutches. I have very little confidence that either repair will fix. Also concerned it will probably be even worse if they open it up to replace parts. No confidence in the technicians these days.

- Southington, DC, USA