2.1

2005 Ford Five Hundred miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Five Hundred:

2005 Ford Five Hundred Owner Comments

Aug 012016

Five Hundred

Driving when the call RPM drop and ABS goes out car won't excelerate "failsafe engine mode " is what it says N my check engine light and ABS light and rench light on, had to pull over and shut off and turn back on. Cleaned the throttle body and reprogramed the computer and it continues to happen at random and will randomly excelerate on its own with rpms rising and yet I'm no where near gas pedal, I'm on brakes. As my instrument panel will malfunction and all gauges will go to zero and wiggle and all warning lights will be displayed them goes completely black, this has also been very unsafe of an issue because at night when this happens you can't see your spend or gas or anything. And the fail-safe mode also has almost cause me to have crashed as well as been crashed into over four dozen times. Seeing how I pay for it to be fixed and nothing can't seem to fix it... it's very scary and I worry for my life each time I drive

- Covina, CA, USA

Jun 032016

Five Hundred

The air conditioning system will only blow warm air if the RPM is below about 2000. The higher the RPM the colder the air. It is not the refrigerant being low as I have checked it. I've heard from many online sources that it is a valve inside the compressor and that it seems to be a common problem with the Five hundred. Given that it seems to be a common problem, Ford should issue a recall to fix the issue.

- Gervais, OR, USA

Dec 052008

Five Hundred

Takata recall door latches and links. As like all the other complaints when it gets cold my door will open but it will not close. When it first occurred my door flew open while I was driving. I looked up the recall but my VIN number was not included this does not make any sense to me.on a city street at 6:00 in the morning.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Mar 032015

Five Hundred

After it rained, the temperature dropped below freezing. My door was difficult to open, but would not close or latch. It was frozen open. There is already a recall on this, but Ford dealers in the area says it does not apply to cars in the South. A recall is a recall. First of all, both tn and ok get snow and ice, and a recall is a recall. If I decide to move back to Maine with this car, then I'll be able to get it fixed for free" what if decide to go skiing in Colorado, but cannot leave because my door latches freeze"

- Hermitage, TN, USA

Jul 152013

Five Hundred

Car drives on its own! if I do not have foot on gas on break it will continue to move. Said failsafe mode then check engine light illuminated, dash board said check engine check transmission then the light went out the following day. Now driving back to normal. I took to auto zone the day it went haywire & they advised me its a possible recall several ppl said the same issue with their Ford.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jul 152013

- Washington, DC, USA

Jul 012011

Five Hundred

Vehicle will intermittently stall when accelerating from a stop. The vehicle has stalled numerous times in the middle of executing a turn, leaving the vehicle and occupants in a dangerous situation. A Ford dealership diagnosed the problem as being the throttle body, however, after replacing the very expensive throttle body, the problem persists. A non-Ford mechanic is now saying it is more likely loose wiring and is working to diagnose the exact wiring issue causing the problem. There seem to be many people online with the same stalling issue. In addition to the stalling, the vehicle has also been surging sporadically. It surges forward (or backward) without the accelerator being pressed. It appears that my vehicle is not the only one affected by this problem. Ford needs to be held accountable for the precarious position they are putting vehicle owners in.

- Taylorsville, UT, USA

Jun 172009

Five Hundred

As I was parking in a parking garage, the car surged forward. It happened occasionally over the next year, but during the past year it became more frequent and pronounced. I would need to put it in park at red lights to insure I did not lurch forward into the car in front of me. We took it to a Ford dealership and for almost $900 they replaced the throttle control. The problem still exists, but not as pronounced or frequent. However new symptoms appeared including intermittently dimming dashboard lights and the air conditioner began to surge up and down almost as if it were gasping for air. This lunging forward when your foot is on the brake or you are at a minimal speed could be dangerous.

- Springfield, CO, USA

Jul 062011

Five Hundred

Engine surges when parking, when backing slowly with foot on brake pedal.

- Hyde Park, MA, USA

Feb 232011

Five Hundred

Experienced a spark plug blowout requiring replacement of front head. Repair cost $2600. I understand this is a problem on Ford trucks. I think Ford should investigate why this occurs and fix it! I'm lucky I didn't experience a fire, that would have totaled the car!

- Elyria, OH, USA

Jul 232010

Five Hundred

Defective electronic throttle body (etb) on 2005 Ford 500, freestyle, and Mercury montego. Causes car to move forward or backward in drive or reverse without using any pressure on the gas pedal. Must place foot on the brake to avoid running into something, especially while parking. Ford has a technical service bulletin (tsb 05-25-13) on this but has not notified any owners of vehicles affected to date. It appears that Ford has come up with a new replacement part for the etb unlike the original that was just made available in July 2010. I paid a local Ford dealer $128.08 to have this problem diagnosed and another $615.83 to have it fixed. I was told the etb part number was "5F9Z-9E926-aa". another number for the new etb part on my sales slip dated 07/30/10 was fmc 6F9Z 9E926 a. they called it a kit for the electronic throttle body. The price for the kit was $495.86. Since I have heard of this problem coming up on more than one occasion, I thought I would turn it in for your investigation. Since the affect of the defective etb actually can cause the car to move on its own, forward or reverse, and requires you to use your brakes simultaneously to keep it from hitting adjoining objects, I thought this is a safety hazard that should be addressed on several Ford and Mercury 2005 products, it is not the money, it is the safety issue I am most interested in. To parallel park or get into a parking stall with this problem was a real chore keeping you foot on the brake as you tried to maneuver in and out of a parking space. If you did not hold your foot on the brake, the car would move in its own either in drive or reverse. This is not acceptable and a true safety hazard, but I have not seen the problem on the recall lists for my car or others affected in the Ford tsb. Nor have auto owners been notified by Ford or offered compensation for the expense to have the kit installed.

- Shawnee, KS, USA

Jul 242008

Five Hundred

2005 Ford Five hundred with a paint defect. Consumer states that there was a recall on the paint but was stopped. He also discovered a service bulletin for 2000 thru 2005 models due to iron contamination. The consumer stated he discovered a small section of the hood with cracked paint.

- Watertown, CT, USA