2. replace tranny (3 reports)
  3. replace fuel rail pressure sensor (1 reports)
2005 Ford Five Hundred transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Five Hundred:

2005 Ford Five Hundred Owner Comments

Apr 152015

Five Hundred SE 3.0L V6 Dohc 24v

I'm not sure exactly what the problem is, but this is what happened.

I was traveling down the road and came to a red light and when I slowed down to check for traffic, my wrench check-engine light came on. At that point my car would no longer shift out of first gear. I made a phone call and limped to a guys house who was a Ford tech and had a computer.

He hooked up his box and told me about two sensors, one on the gas pedal, and one on the receiving side of the computer, and that one of these was returning an error to the cpu in my car, thus causing the light to come on and the car to not shift. He said it was a throttle control sensor or check sensor, or something along those lines. He reset the code and my car drove fine. The next day I made a 500 mile drive to, around, and back from Savannah, GA with no problems. A few weeks later the light came on and the transmission wouldn't shift again. This time I just shut the car off for a few minutes and the code seem to reset itself.

Since then I've experienced transmission problems with no code alert. The transmission has a hard time shifting regularly, and when I'm driving at high speeds (60 - 80) on the interstate, the transmission slips when I'm coasting. Once above first gear at high speed the tranny seems to work ok, but has a slow response time. It's slow driving, hill, and low gear travel that makes the transmission act up, ALL without a code.

- , Douglasville, GA, USA

May 022015

Five Hundred Limited 3.0L

• CVT transmission

I bought a Ford 500 and had a lot of the typical problems that I see on here. I bought the car at an auction and it was sold as tmu - total miles unknown. It had a bad jerking problem when I sped up to fast or slowed down fast.

I read on the internet about the complaints and the first thing I did was to replace the throttle body and the throttle body position sensor - that didn't help. Then I bought a used instrument cluster and had that installed - now I can see all of my gauges working. My air conditioning blows warm air when I am sitting at a idle, so I just ordered a new air compressor for it - I haven't got that from the seller yet so I can't have it installed to see if that remedies that problem. But it still had the jerking problem.

I talked to a friend that had the same kind of problem with his and he told me that he had a fuel rail pressure sensor installed and that solved his problem, - so after shopping around I found a new Motorcraft one for under 90 bucks and had that installed. That seems to help. It doesn`t jerk when I accelerate now, but when I decelerate it still does it a little but not as bad as before.

As far as the car goes it gets decent gas mileage and has a good ride . I took it to a ford garage after I first got it and they told me it was the valve body in the tranny and they wanted about 5800 dollars to replace the transmission - that was a shock. So I didn't opt to have the tranny replaced . lol I knew it was something other than that. I hope this fix helps other people with their problems.

- , Point Pleasant, WV, USA

Jan 122012

Five Hundred Limited V6

FORD 500 w/30,000 miles and per dealer broken motor mount and not covered under warranty? Been one year and have not fixed. Don't drive long distance wondering how important it is to fix.

- , long beach, CA, USA

Dec 142012

Five Hundred Limited 3.2L

Ford Motor company issued a recall to have my vehicle type brought into the deal to hae he Throttle Bottle cleaned. After months of complaining and noticing all of the other vehicles in my class have the same issues, it baffled me why FORD would not replace this troubling part. When I took my car to the dealer 2 days after receiving the letter, they diagnosed the transmission slipping as having a ROUGH IDLE and reprogrammed the computer. For 3-4 days the car drove fine, no lunging forward or backward or slips in the transmission while driving. On the 5th day, going up a slight incline in the road, the skipping resumed. I was crushed to say the least. So now, I'm back to worrying about this costly repair that should have been replaced by FORD verses cleaned by FORD. I am so disappointed. I have always purchased American made cars, but for the price and to have these issues arrive and not hold FORD accountable is simply disheartening....that they will not take full responsible to replace this part that has cause so many dissatisfied customers.

- , Baltimore, MD, USA

Nov 232012

Five Hundred Limited, 4 Dr Sedan 6 cyl. 3.0L Fuel Injected

• CVT transmission

2005 Ford Five Hundred suddenly had transmission problem just over 40,000 miles. This has a CVT Transmission for an all-wheel drive vehicle. Est. cost for this from local Ford Dealer was $5700 for a remanufactured transmission. Am not sure what to do at this time. Depreciation vs. cost of fixing car, or replacing car?

As with other issues I have read, the check transmission light and the check engine light both come on. Diagnostic readout said I needed to have the transmission filter replaced which I did, then read an article saying may need transmission module computer chip updated which I did. Transmission and engine lights still come on, and transmission is sluggish. Not trustworthy to drive.

After reading all the complaints and issues, why hasn't something been done? Why hasn't Ford been forced to replace this transmission for all of the 150 complaints listed on the website?

There are three issues with the Ford 500. The transmission, air compressor, and throttle.

Had air compressor replaced in 2011.

- , Freeport, IL, USA

Dec 012012

Five Hundred Limited 3.0L V6

• CVT transmission

Driving home from work the car just quit pulling. The check transmission and check engine light came on. Took it to the Ford dealership and am told it'll cost $7,000 to replace the CVT. No repairing it. May not be able to get parts. Sure, I have 7 grand laying around, doesn't everyone....NOT. I now have a lump of steel sitting in front of my house. I can't even use it as a demo derby car. I just paid this thing off in May of 2012, This really pisses me off. This was my first Ford and it's now my last. I had considered a new Fusion, but no more. No more Blue Oval for me, unless they make it right, and I won't hold my breath waiting for that to happen.

- , Sidney, OH, USA

Jul 182012

Five Hundred Limited V6

After purchasing a used vehicle with very low miles ( less than 35000 ) I thought the 500 was going to be a good car for my wife . 5 star crash rating - insurance actually went down when I added it !! . Transmission started slipping , slowly at 1st , now a constant problem . Cleaned the throttle body , no change - $150 charge . Changed the trans fluid & filter , no change - $255 charge . Had the computer flashed for updates while the trans was serviced , no change - $85 hook up & $65 update . Now they are telling me the transmission will need rebuilt or replaced - at least $5000 !!! Half the cost I paid for the car !! Contacted the local Ford dealership ( mine closed in bad times ) at almost 40 miles away . " The Ford Five Hundred doesn't have these kind of problems & he has NEVER heard of one displaying this problem . Unfortunately he believes the previous owner has abused the vehicle !! Imagine the look on his face when he found out it was purchased @ his dealership & they performed all the other work !! Too bad he doesn't know what goes on in his own service dept! If he were to look on the net , as I did after I bought this car , he may have been educated a little more about the problems most other owners are having just like mine . I used to praise Ford , but with no help or a large lack of concern about their " Ford Family ' I definitely will consider another manufacturer on the next purchase !!

- , Lincolnton, NC, USA