2013 Ford Flex electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Flex:

2013 Ford Flex Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Jun 012015

Vehicle dash display shows that the right rear door is ajar when it is fully closed. This also causes the dome lights to stay on even when driving which is very dangerous. This seems to be a very common problem from the posts I have seen on the internet.

- Bella Vista, AR, USA

Feb 012014

Door ajar alarm continues to say door is open when it is not....updated 07/30/15

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Dec 012014

Two of four doors are always reporting to be ajar when physically closed. Interior lights remain on due to doors being "ajar" resulting in visibility issues at night. Doors also won't lock at times due to doors always being ajar. This is a safety issue and obviously a very common issue with Ford door assemblies. To have two door sensors go out a month apart and to see the extent of the problem on this site and across the internet Ford obviously has installed faulty door hinge assemblies on multiple models. I am sure it will take someone (or multiple someone's) getting injured to address this issue. If all these cars tell their drivers that there doors are always adjar then soon or later the warnings will be ignored as a kid gets out of a moving car.

- Haymarket, VA, USA

May 042015

When the door is shut the car thinks it is open, the lights stay on in cabin and distracting prompts appear on dash while driving. The car alarm sounds at night randomly now too with this problem. The battery is drained over time as the lights stay on for a long period of time every time you park. This results in a dead battery and a stranded driver.

- Livermore, CA, USA

Aug 152013

On approximately August 15, 2013 we were driving our son to school when chimes came on stating that our doors were open. We stopped, checked all doors. None were ajar. We continued on driving at which time our son opened the door. Had he not been in a car seat he probably would have fallen out. We were in a residential neighborhood and were only going about 15- 20 mph. Our chimes continued to go off and still to this day we are having the same problem. We have taken it into the dealership many times and explained the problem. The dealership did tell us that they are aware that there are problems with the sensors but that there haven't been any recalls. They did change one of the sensors for the front passenger door at our own expense, however it has not fixed the problem because it is going off still and now the driver front one is starting as well as a "shift to park" sensor. The doors will not lock and the lights will not turn off inside the car. As far as the transmission problem goes. It will slip into neutral as you are driving. It has happened may times and it is going to cause a serious car accident. You have to stop the car, turn the engine off and restart it in order for it to go back into drive. We have brought this to the dealerships attention however every time we take it into there they say they cant see or find a problem with it. It is very frustrating because we make a car payment every month on a vehicle we don't drive. We have a 2009 Flex that we have never had any problems with which is why we purchased a newer one with a lot less miles! unfortunately we owe more than the car is worth on our 2013 Flex otherwise we would have gotten rid of it by now. We hope you will really look into these problems before someone ends up really hurt! we notice there was a recall with similar problems but ours was not included in that supposedly.

- Herriman, UT, USA

Apr 232015

Driver's side door is fully closed yet the "door ajar" warning light comes on and remains on. This warning light will thus turn on the interior lights. We need to open and close the door approximately (7) times on average before the warning light and the interior lights recognize the door is closed, then the warning and lights turn off. This type of incident has occurred while in park and while driving.

- Willingboro, NJ, USA

Feb 052015

After closing the driver's door, the door ajar light is on, as are the interior lights. The interior lights stay on for awhile after I start to drive which blinds me at night, but the only way to get the interior lights to shut off is to start driving. Major safety issue.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Apr 092015

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Flex. While parked, the contact heard a chime and the door ajar warning light illuminated even though the doors were closed. The contact had to remove the bulbs in the instrument panel to prevent the light from illuminating. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Reynolds Station, KY, USA

Feb 022015

The front passenger door ajar warning began showing while I was sitting in my driveway and the door has not been touched in fact there was not even a passenger in my vehicle. I tried opening and shutting the door several times and when this problem began and for about the first month the warning would reset. Since then the warning is present approximately 70% of the time. When the door ajar morning is active the interior lights stay on at low speed and regardless of speed you're unable to lock the doors. These issues are when the door ajar morning is active the interior lights stay on at low speed and regardless of speed you're unable to lock the doors which cause obvious safety and security issues as well as the added danger of not being aware of an actual door ajar. I took my Flex to summerville Ford and they acknowledge being aware of multiple Ford models with the same issue, apologized for not being able to fix the issue without my paying for it.

- Summerville, SC, USA

Jun 052014

Flex 6-cyl

Last June the ajar light came on and I took it to the dealer and they had to replace the sensor in the door. So on March 16th the light came back on and was doing the same thing say that it was ajared and when I come to a stop then the other light would come on saying shift to park and my doors are not locked while driving and I have small children in the vechicle with me. I called the dealer to let them know and since I was going out of town the following week I will be out of warrenty. They said I would have to pay for it and leave it at the dealership for someone to look at it. It has not even been a year and it should not have to be fixed now, unless they put a bad part in it.

- Plainfield, IL, USA

Apr 242015

Flex 6-cyl

Driver side door ajar sign is on when door is securely closed. Inside lights stay on.

- Mukilteo, WA, USA

Oct 152014

Door ajar warning stays on for drivers door. Begin as intermittent problem resolved by opening and closing the door till the door sensor registered the door closed. Progressively got worse and 7 months later the door ajar light stays on all the time. Interior lights remain on all the time and the auto door locks do not engage when driving. I talked to my local Ford dealer who said it just needs oiled and it will fix the problem. We have oiled it and cleaned it with compressed air and it has done nothing. If Ford can't stand behind this kind of thing, I'll be buying a Hyundai or a Honda next for a better warranty and for a higher quality vehicle.

- Newville, PA, USA

Oct 062014

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Flex. The contact stated that the door ajar light and shift to park light illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact reported that the lights would remain illuminated even after all doors were checked and when the vehicle was in motion. As a result, the doors were unable to be locked. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The dealer was unable to determine the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 33,000.

- Eden Prairie, MN, USA

Mar 022015

Flex 6-cyl

Door ajar sensor, lights stay on, doors wont lock.

- Austin, MN, USA

Jan 222015

Flex 6-cyl

2013 Ford Flex door ajar light illuminates and chimes preventing driver from locking doors as the alert unlocks all doors while vehicle is in motion and turns the interior lights on. Issue occurs intermittently and Ford reps, while acknowledging the issue as common in the Ford edge and Ford Flex refuse to change the faulty door sensor switch opting to charge customers $600+ to remove and replace the flawed design. Currently the sensor alerts us 10 to 15 times during a 30 minute ride.

- Dallas, GA, USA

Jan 142015

Bluetooth connection failure, navigation failure, clock failure, on board computer failure.

- Moriches, NY, USA

Jan 162015

I own a 2013 Ford Flex sel. The door ajar light comes on when all doors are closed completely. This is a safety issue because the doors do not lock while driving. The lights don't shut off and the car tells me to shift in to park. On the personal side the lights stay on while parked and the bell rings as if the door is ajar. I can not utilize the remote start. I would agree it's normal wear and tear if it was only my car. I have search online and it seems to be a Ford problem.

- Scottsville, NY, USA

Oct 012014

Flex 6-cyl

Ford has a faulty part built into the Ford Flex. The door ajar switch is faulty on most Ford Flex and edge. While the door is completely shut, the door ajar light stays on resulting in the doors not locking. Even if you press the automatic lock they simply unlock. Ford is not willing to address the issue or fix the issue. The way the faulty part is built into the lock mechanism requires the owner to replace the entire lock mechanism. This part cost $230 and due to the number of issues is not available on the market currently. As a result of the safety issue, we were required to force the switch to ground itself out, meaning we grounded out the wires linked to the door ajar light so the light is no longer on and the doors were locked. The issue should not be occurring on new vehicles like I have. I would like the ntsb to investigate the issue and require Ford to fix all vehicles affected.

- Brownstown, MI, USA

Feb 012015

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Flex. The contact stated that while the vehicle was in motion, the door ajar light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed the door latch sensor needed to be replaced. The repairs were not made to the vehicle. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 34,000.

- Union, MO, USA

Feb 162015

Flex 6-cyl

Door ajar warning lights when door is securely closed. This is a know issue with several Ford service bulletins issued. There are definite safety concerns as the following also occurs: Dome light stays on while driving making it difficult to see interior lights stay on when leaving vehicle allowing easy viewing of interior and possible battery drainage all doors will not lock (unacceptable) this is a major safety concern the false warning keeps driver from knowing if there is in fact a true door ajar situation Ford refuses to fix this under warranty saying the door latch (which the door ajar switch is an integral part) is a "wear and tear" part and therefore not cover by warranty. This is an issue on many Ford vehicles including Flex, edge, Explorer and Taurus.

- Concord, NC, USA