CarComplaints.com Notes: The Freestar was introduced in 2004, but it was essentially just a rebranded Windstar. While there was a redesign of the interior and exterior, the Freestar still inherited some of the design flaws of its predecessor.

2004 Ford Freestar body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Ford Freestar:

2004 Ford Freestar Owner Comments

Nov 152013

Freestar Sport 4.2L

We have had this Freestar since 2007, and it is in my estimation, on the low mileage side. It started to show a few rust blisters a couple years ago, but now it is getting progressively worse. It seem that there is a panel below the gas fill door that traps water in between the panels. It seems to be a problem with this year and model as I have seen a lot of them with the same rust. It seems that Ford has repaired rust out in the back wheel wells and the front and rear frame as well. I am just wondering if Ford has any recalls for the body rust as they did for the rear well wells and the lock up for the second row seats. Looking for more info . Thanks......................

- , Corunna, Ontario Canada, Canada

Nov 302010

Freestar 3.0L

I love this van and I am still paying for it...I have really never had any problems other than this rust and I've seen it in the same place on other freestar vans...first it was just a bubble then 2bubbles then 3 bubbles than the little hole than it just started gettin bigger and bigger and now it's thru the first layer of metal and i sprayed stop rust on it and it seems to have slowed it down but it needs to get fixed..I have been searching online for other freestar rust problems for a year and finally a friend told me about the NHTSA getting involved finally ..only they are looking into the 3rd row seat latchs rusting out and now i'm worried about that...i keep my car clean and wash it aleast once a week in the winter because of the salt and i don't have a garage yet so the undercarriage gets washed to keep the rusting down..nowhere else is it rusting that i can see only in one spot..right behind the driver side slider door at the bottom corner of the wheel well underneath the gas cap door ..or picture this gas cap filler door straight down to bottom of the van the wheel well is rusted thur the metal ..other areas of the van don't have that, the other side doesn't look like that and it just ticks me off that ford won't fix this problem and that i have to scrap up the money to get it fixed myself... i could see if the van had rust all over it but it's just that one spot..something doesn't smell right to me..so i have been looking at the puter every now and again seein if ford is doing something about this..is there any hope????body work is expensive and i'm on a fixed income so i don't have money laying around to fix it.thanks for listening..

- , Bristol, PA, USA