2005 Ford Freestar drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Freestar:

2005 Ford Freestar Owner Comments (Page 10 of 11)

Sep 152011

My wife was driving down a main highway, when her Ford Freestar lost all power from the transmission. She coasted to the side of the roadway. She tried to put the vehicle in any gear and all that would move was the RPM gauge. Her and my son were left stranded on the side of the roadway. The vehicle had to be towed to a mechanic shop, who told us that the the vehicle would have to have a new transmission and that it would cost us about $3000. This vehicle has been well taken care of since we bought it new. The vehicle only has 70,000 miles on it and should not be having the transmission replaced. It appears from everything I have learned that this a common problem with this year model. My question is, why hasn't a recall been issued on this problem? not only am I out a tow bill and the cost of a transmission, my family was left stranded on the side of the roadway. This should not have happened.

- Waldron, AR, USA

Sep 082011

On 9/8/11 I went to get in my car to leave from work and my car would not move. It would crank but when I put it into gear it would not move. After two days of trying to get a tow truck small enough to get into the parking garage at work, my car was towed to a car shop. The car shop told me ther was something wrong with the transmission and they couldn't fix it. They had transmission shop come pick up the car by tow truck on 9/12/11 and I was told by the tranmission shop it was the torque converter. After looking online I noticed that this is happening to a lot of people that have this same model car. Ford is not doing anything about this. This car need to be recall as this is very dangerous. The transmission shop told me that it would be $1500 to repair this issue. There are people all over the U.S. that are having the same issue with the 2005 Ford Freestar. I will never buy another Ford again. Why isn't Ford taking responsible for these defective parts (torque converters) they are putting in these vechles. Do someone have to get seriously hurt before they decide to do something about this. I noticed that there is a class action lawsuit pending for this torque converter issue. I advise you all if you have experienced the same problem to complain and join suit. This is ridiculous.

- Carrollton , TX, USA

Aug 152011

Freestar 6-cyl

While driving in traffic the van just slipped out of gear. Hitting the gas only made the engine rev up. I coasted to a stop. The van would still start and run but would not go into drive or reverse. The gear shift moves but nothing happens. After having it towed we replaced the transmission sensor but it did not fix the issue. Do not know what to do at this point.

- Westminster, CO, USA

Jun 222006

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestar. While driving 55 mph, the contact stated the vehicle stalled on the highway. The dealer diagnosed that the torque converter failed. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified, but denied any assistance with repairs to the vehicle. The failure mileage was 32,432 and the current mileage was 114,000.

- St. Louis, MI, USA

Sep 062011

Freestar 6-cyl

I was driving down the road and my transmission went out. I know that there are thousands of people who have had this problem and some of them after already having it replaced before. Ford should be forced to issue a recall!!!

- Forest Park, GA, USA

Dec 102010

Freestar 6-cyl

Bought this van used at 43,000 miles in 2010, ,,concerned because transmission had been rebuilt...bought extended warranty for 12 month/12,000 miles...had trouble in Dec. 2010 took to dealer...they replaced sensor....warranty went out in Feb. 2011....had to rebuild transmission in 7/2011 3rd transmission...$1300 my the check transaxle light came on again!!!....called the Ford company....so_O_O_O sorry!!! can't do anything for you....53,000 miles.

- Cana, VA, USA

Sep 032011

Freestar 6-cyl

Vehicle suddenly lost forward motion on a busy street with no shoulder. Coasted to stop with engine running. Put on flashers, but vehicles had to swerve to go around the van. Vehicle would not move in drive or reverse.

- Columbia, MO, USA

Jul 192011

Freestar 6-cyl

My 2005 Ford Freestar has stop starts but when I shift into gears the car does nothing. It won't drive or go in reverse. I had a mechanic look at it and they said water got into the PCM. And would cost about $1200 to fix.I have notice many other 2005 Ford Freestars with the same problem. Many have repaired the problem out of pocket because Ford won't pay for the problem.we didn't design the vechile so why is it we have to pay for the problem.I was lucky that I was pulling into my house when my car cut off.but many other stories with the same water on the PCM problem have been on highways or busy streets when their car dies so is Ford waiting for someone or a group of people to die in order to recall this problem and take resposibility and repair it so the consumer don't have to pay with thier money or thier lives.I swear had I known that Ford has ignored serious lifethreating problem like the water on the PCM or transmission problem I would have never gotten a van from Ford or any vehicle from them. Ford clearly stands for found on road dead and soon its not going to be just the vehicle but someone life as well if they drive a Ford.and Ford doesn't give a crap.

- Cutler Bay, FL, USA

Oct 142010

Transmission failed while driving. Car had to be stopped in the middle of the road and towed to the dealer who advised new transmission needed. Past problems with this vehicle include computer chip replaced after getting it home from dealer brand new. Also both power steering hoses failed.

- Sellersville, PA, USA

Jul 112010

My van shuddered today on the middle of the highway with my two boys in tow- had to cross over to get to the side of the road for safety. Have already replaced transmission, have a faulty erg valve, the ac compressor is going out and we had to replace the cam sensor. Now have a powertrain alarm- have to go back to the mechanic to see what exactly it is... already sank over $3500 just on fixing it's many issues. Why has this not been recalled"?? is Ford waiting for folks to die like Toyota did before they admit and correct the errors"

- Simpsonville, SC, USA

Jun 162011

On interstate going 70mph with cruise control on when instantly engine started racing then immediately stopped. The engine was still on but the van would not move. We had to push it out of the highway. The engine would start, but it would not engage into any gear. It went from cruising at 70mph to a dead stop, without any warning, within seconds. We had five children in a van with us.....we could have all been killed. We have since found out that many similar complaints have been made on this type of vehicle, however, Ford has not warned anyone.

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

May 012011

Per Ford service: Water in PCM 5/03/11 similar problem 7/15/10 although at the time Ford service was unable to find the cause. At about 20 miles per hour while making a right hand turn the engine stalled, the power steering and power brakes failed causing me to temporarily lose control and swerve into the on-coming lane. Luckily there was no traffic or pedestrians there at the time. Ford service found the cause to be water in the powertrain control module (PCM).

- Great River, NY, USA

Oct 182010

Freestar 6-cyl

Stopped at stop sign and as soon as I took off the gears would not shift and I could not accelerate. I had coasted to a side street where I sat until my van was towed to my mechanic. After mechanic's review he stated a faulty torque converter caused damage to all parts inside the transmission rendering the transmission useless. The transmission had to be completely rebuilt.

- Hobart, IN, USA

Apr 222011

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestar. While driving 30 mph, the engine exhibited an abnormal increase in rpms. The contact attempted to shift the gear into drive but gear failed. The vehicle was towed to the contacts residence and the dealer was contacted. The dealer stated that they were not aware of the failure and offered no further assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 133,000.

- Eaton , IN, USA

Apr 032011

While traveling on I-94, going 70 mph, I attempted to accelerate and the vehicle did not respond. The transmission was completely gone. I had to pull over to a safe location on the side of the busy highway without the use of a transmission. My husband and 2 small children were in the van with me at the time. It was very unnerving and dangerous. We had the van towed to a local Ford dealership and they stated that it needed a new torque converter. They quoted $1400 for the repair but we were able to get them down to $1100. The van has only 66000 miles on it. This is not acceptable. Ford needs to recognize that this is common problem and a recall needs to be made.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Mar 202011

Freestar 6-cyl

My son drove the Freestar home the night of 3/20 and stated it was running a bit rough. The next morning my wife had a hard time starting the care to drive our daughter to school. Once she got the vehicle started and backed it out of the driveway the vehicle stalled in the middle of the street and was unable to restart. I had the vehicle towed to the Ford dealer and was actually able to start the van but it now had no reverse. The dealer had the van for 12 days and replaced the PCM. We got the van back and the check engine light came on immediately. The dealer now states that the wiring and connectors to the PCM are all soaked and they need to be dried and cleaned. After doing some research it appears that this is a known issue with the Freestar and that I was quite lucky as to the timing and location of the vehicle when it failed. I truly believe that this design flaw in this vehicle needs to be resolved by Ford prior to anyone getting injured.

- Roseville, MI, USA

Feb 142011

Water leakage through the left windshield wiper cowling caused our power train control module to go bad. This repair is costing us almost $1,000 dollars to fix. Upon researching this issue on the internet we have come to realization that this is a very prolific problem with this make and model of van. Just for them to get the part is going to take a month. That shows you just how prolific it is. Ford is not taking responsibility for this faulty cowling that leaks directly on to the PCM even though tens of thousands or more people are having to have this part replaced multiple times costing them thousands of dollars out of their own pockets. There needs to be a government forced recall on these vehicles cause it's apparent that Ford is not going to take responsibility for their faulty equipment design on their own.

- Lincoln Park, MI, USA

Nov 162010

Freestar 6-cyl

Traveling on busy 2-lane highway at night..approx 50 miles an hour..suddenly car revved up and went into neutral..engine running fine. Transmission would not shift into any gear. There were cars everywhere..dark street lights. This could have been a very serious situation. Luckily, I was able to coast to a pull off point without any injuries. There was no warning of any kind that this was going to warning lights, no transmission shifts or slippage, no smoke, no smell. Since this occurred out-of-town--vehicle had to be towed over 100 miles. Quoted cost of repair at local Ford dealer--$3,000. Needless to say, it has been sitting since this happened because I do not have funds to get it repaired.

- Braselton, GA, USA

Jan 212011

While driving the 2005 Freestar the vehicles engine started to rev and quickly began losing speed. I managed to get the van off the road before coming to a complete stop avoiding a near rear end crash. The vehicles would not move in any gear and was towed to a Ford dealership. Was told that the output shaft of the torque convertor was stripped and charged $1730.47 for the replacement of the torque convertor. Was told by the dealership that this was not a uncommon failure for this vehicle. This failure could have easily resulted in a serious accident.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Dec 102010

Pulled away from stop sign and vehicle reached approximately 30 mph when vehicle suddenly would not accelerate. Vehicle was in drive. Vehicle came to a stop at the side of the road. Attempted to put vehicle in other gears including reverse to no avail. Vehicle was towed to mechanic. Mechanic determined the problem was with the splines on the torque converter. Mechanic replaced torque converter at a cost of $1168.68.

- Carthage, MO, USA