2005 Ford Freestar drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Freestar:

2005 Ford Freestar Owner Comments (Page 11 of 11)

Dec 142010

Driving the van on a four lane highway when the engine started to rev and the van slowed down was lucky to find a exit and coast safely to a stop had the van pulled to a local repair shop shaft broke in the transmission repair 0ver two thousand dollars

- Ashland, WI, USA

Sep 252010

The van lost all automotive power suddenly and we almost got hit by oncoming traffic and had to wait for the police to push us out of the street. We had the van towed to the Ford dealership and had to replace the torque converter for $1700. We were told that it was a problem with the spline of the torque converter. The Ford dealership knew about the defect investigation and told us we had to have it repaired at the dealership to be eligible for a refund if a recall was issued. It could have easily lost power in an busy intersection or on a train track and we would have been seriously injured. Please issue the recall on this already. It has been under investigation for over two years. What is the holdup?

- Haslet , TX, USA

Nov 012010

Sudden, premature failure of transmission that had been properly maintained and operated while in parking lot at work, fortunately nominal speed at time. Vehicle stopped dead, towed to local certified mechanic who diagnosed problem as torque converter failure where converter splines where practically shredded due to inadequate hardening of metal parts; Ford has known about this problem for years and chooses to ignore this safety issue. Cost to repair, not including lost work time, of $1,700. Classs action lawsuit applicable in this case. Likely to be my last Ford product unless I receive some form of reimbursement, compensation in this matter. Rises to level of reckless endangerment.

- Saline, MI, USA

Apr 172010

Freestar 4WD 8-cyl

I have a 2005 Ford Freestar with 43,000 miles on it. While leaving the parking lit, the vehicle would not go forward or reverse. Had vehicle towed to Ford garage. They said I needed a torque converter. The cost is $1500 dollars.

- Deltona, FL, USA

Mar 192010

I was traveling down the highway at 45 mph, when the van suddenly went down to 20 mph. I was traveling on the inside lane of a two lane highway, and I was having a hard time getting over to the right. The left side was a median. I finally managed to get over to the right and pulled into a driveway. Once in the driveway, the vehicle would not move any more. There were no indications anything was wrong prior to this. I had just traveled to this town 30 miles away from my home. No noises, no difficulty shifting gears - nothing. The vehicle is currently in the shop it happened on Friday today is Sunday and I won't hear anything from the mechanic until Monday. The reason I am filing this complaint is - I travel to houston on a regular basis in this vehicle. I cringe when I think about what would have happened to me and my family if this would have happened to us while we were in houston's traffic. The normal speed on a highway in houston is 80mph. If nothing is done -death is ultimate.

- Victoria, TX, USA

Nov 142009

Freestar 6-cyl

Van just stopped in the middle of driving down the highway. It just cut off. The mechanics are saying the computer went out. We had to get a new transmission not even 6 months after we got the van in 2006.

- Portage, IN, USA

Sep 302009

I was driving at 10:30pm preparing to enter the interstate when the engine revved and the motion of the car going forward began to stop. There was a sudden and complete loss of power to the wheels. Being on the inside lane of a 4 lane street, there was no way to make it to the rt lane or shoulder. The street was very busy and several times we were almost hit by screeching cars. We called 911 and got police help. Upon calling the Ford dealership I was told it was the torque converter and it would be a minimum of $3,500 to fix even though my van only has 52,000 miles on it. I am disabled and a single parent. I thank god my 2 young children were not with me.

- Oklahoma City , OK, USA

Jul 182009

On Saturday, July 18, 2009, my family and I were traveling on hwy 9A (in jacksonville, fl just off of I95). We were traveling at approximately 70mph when our 2005 Ford Freestar simply stopped accelerating. My husband attempted to shift from drive to neutral and back to drive but nothing happened. The transmission simply lost power. We coasted as far as we could off the busy highway and contacted roadside assistance. Today we finally got an estimate from our repairman. He says it is the torque converter and pump and it is going to cost $1100 to replace them. We are a family of 7. my husband is in the navy and deploying soon. I need reliable transportation! my van has 128000 miles on it and has been cared for very regularly. Upon researching the issue, I see that this is a very common problem with 2005 Ford Freestars and it has been reported numerous times here. Supposedly there is an investigation going on by ODI in regards to this same problem. The old part can possibly be available depending on how soon I hear that you need it.

- Saint Marys, GA, USA

Jan 152009

Freestar 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestar. While driving various speeds, the vehicle does not go into gear and the RPM's go up and down. When driving more than 15 mph, the vehicle begins to jerk. When driving more than 20 mph, the interior lighting illuminates and the vehicle stalls. The vehicle was towed to an auto body shop, but they could not locate the cause of the failure after approximately four diagnostic tests. Currently, the vehicle is still at the repair shop. The first three repairs were at the contact's expense, but the failure still persists. The failure mileage was 20,710 and current mileage was 20,986. Updated 05/05/09 updated 05/06/09

- Walla Walla, WA, USA

Jul 152008

2005 Ford Freestar auto transmission went out while backing out of driveway. Fluid level ok, fluid appears clean, smells new.

- Bedford Heights, OH, USA