2005 Ford Freestar drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Freestar:

2005 Ford Freestar Owner Comments (Page 3 of 11)

Jul 032014

Freestar 6-cyl

Traction control warning light intermittant, with AWD malfunction on. Mechanic says code 1889. Said lots of problems on freestyles, Ford 500 and mercuty models with AWD. Apparent service bulletins. Loss of power, if service bull issued there is a known problem. Why no recall?

- Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Jul 022014

Freestar 6-cyl

After 2 hours of driving, I tried to pass a car on the turnpike, the car made a loud noise and it looked like it went into neutral. Took the car to the shop, they say that the transmission is broken, Ford replaced the torque converter due to the recall on January of 2014, but now they are saying that the issue is not the torque converted, they state that the transmission needs to be rebuilt.

- Miramar, FL, USA

Apr 152014

Freestar 6-cyl

I would like to report the failure of a company and a van. I recently purchased a 2005 Ford Freestar for my family of five that has been the worst decision of my life. A month after I experienced what too many other owner have also experienced. Water in the PCM, this almost resulted in a crash and injury to me and my family. Stalling out without warning at any speed. This known issue has gone on too long without any response from Ford company. I am not a believer in someone has to die for there to be change. Also don't appreciate the cost of this job over $1000. I was fortunate to not be on the highway and crash. Although then we might get our money back. This has also led to other issues that has become a chain reaction of failure. I will keep my receipt for as long as I have to.

- Watervliet, NY, USA

May 272014

Freestar 6-cyl

After wet weather the night before, vehicle running rough (to the point of near stall), hesitating to burn fuel properly to get up to speed and not shifting properly. Vehicle was then parked, re-started and acted normally. Within the past week, each day after rain the car reproduces this issue and only after exposure to rain. Yesterday I noted gap in cowl to sheet metal above PCM as well and also noted that a body seal next to the PCM was soaked. It is consistent with the internet complaints about PCM being exposed/flooded with water. This is a serious concern as to the damage it can do to the vehicle's most expensive components (engine, transmission, etc) as well as potentially produce an accident on the road should other anomalous behavior surface. It is also important to note that as this vehicle ages, more of the population of produced vehicles would be exposed to this concern as gaskets lose effectiveness due to compression set, deterioration of seal, the plastic the seal is attached to warps, etc.

- Northville, MI, USA

Feb 102014

Freestar 6-cyl

I attempted to start vehicle and the engine was difficult to turn over. When it did start the rpms were going up and down. When I tried to put car in reverse it would not engage causing vehicle to roll forward. ( I was parked on a slight declined driveway). After reading about similar problems I checked the PCM (power control module. It was filled with water !!! after unplugging the PCM and allowing it to dry out I plugged it back in and the problem was corrected. It appears to me that the PCM is located in a bad location causing it to have problems when it rains or snows. I made a temporary fix by putting silicone caulking around the cowling where I believe the water is getting in....

- Hazlet, NJ, USA

Feb 062014

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestar. The contact had experienced difficulty with the gears shifting intermittently and had heard a grinding noise multiple times. The contact stated while traveling 60 mph, the vehicle had jerked violently and the transmission was slipping more than once. The vehicle was taken to a repair shop who diagnosed and replaced the torque converver. The vehilce was repaired and the failure recurred. The contact was included in 12V006000 (power train) but had been told more than once by the local dealer that the part was not available for the recall repair. The contact had experienced the failure multiple times while waiting for the part for the repair. TL* the contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the vehicle jerked violently. The failure was recurring. Additionally, the gear shifter would often become resistant when the contact was attempting to shift gears and the vehicle would exhibit an abnormal grinding noise. The vehicle was taken to a repair shop where the torque converter was replaced however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V006000 (power train) but was constantly told that the part was not available for the recall repair. The VIN was not available. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Firewell, MI, USA

Apr 122014

Freestar 6-cyl

Last couple of years since the warranty went out, the vehicle seems to be slipping when accelerating from a stop. Dealership won't do anything without us paying a large sum of money to fix it. We have had the torque converter replaced three times. The last time was by the Ford dealership due to the recall. I have seen many similar issues with same make, model, and year on blogs and forums. Would love for Ford to remedy this issue without us having to spend money that we don't have. This is a serious safety issue!!! at a busy intersection, the tranny slipping could easily put one in harms way.

- Crockett, TX, USA

Apr 122013

Freestar 6-cyl

2005 Ford Freestar was recalled for torque convertor, third row seat latch. Less than one year later (March 2014) the same problem occurred with the torque convertor.

- Port Republic, VA, USA

Mar 282014

The contact owns a 2005 Ford freestyle. The contact stated while driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle independently decelerated without warning. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA recall campaign id number: 12V006000 (power train). The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 212,000.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jul 012013

Freestar 6-cyl

While traveling on the highway with no warning the vehicle lost all acceleration. Once able to get to a safe area to pull over the vehicle started to respond. Since this occurrence this situation has happened intermittently for the past year. I have brought the vehicle to the Ford dealer and 2 different mechanics, all of whom have changed many different items ranging from a tune up to a new coil and multiple cam shaft sensors. All 3 have performed many diagnostics but to date have been unable to locate the problem which still exists but with more regularity. I am no longer able to drive the vehicle due to its performance and I am scared to put my wife and children in the vehicle. When I did do some research on the internet I came across hundreds if not thousands of the very same complaints, someone has to force Ford to address this safety issue. Mini vans are most commonly used for transporting our most precious passengers, children. Will it take a car full of children dying for Ford to acknowledge this problem exists and that they need to do the right thing.

- West Islip, NY, USA

Feb 022012

When is the NHTSA going to get serious with Ford on forcing them to issue a recall on the PCM that shuts down the engine and puts the driver and passengers in a death vehicle. This is a known issue all over the internet as well as any master certified Ford technician.the PCM is under the cowling where the water settlers and get electrically wicked into the PCM shutting it down at any time under load in traffic freeway speeds.just want to know if people have to die before something happens with a wildly known defect we bought this vehicle brand new because of the safety rating at the time for transportations our special needs son, I sure hope this issue doesn't end up with a death of my wife and children due to, the lack of concern from the NHTSA. Waiting for a timely response and resolve.

- Oak Creek, WI, USA

Nov 292013

Freestar 6-cyl

I was driving along the road with my children in the car when my car just lost the gear. The car was still on but when I pressed on the gas pedal it would do nothing but stall. I had to roll to a stop in the middle of the highway. I found out after this problem that my van had a recall in Jan 2012 for the torque converter which needed to be replaced. I got the van in Oct 2012 and I had no idea that was one of the recalls on this vehicle until I had this problem. I took it in to the Ford dealership and they told me that would not solve the problem the bad torque converter, but when taken to another shop they said the bad torque converter caused the problem and now there are pieces of metal in the transmission which they are calling internal transmission failure.

- Titusville, FL, USA

Nov 042013

Freestar 6-cyl

My wife had just left work. On a very busy street the van up and died. Restarted it and had no power to get up to speed. Kept shutting down. Managed to get in to a parking lot. Had it towed to the dealership. At first was told it was the transmission. Now, they say it is the PCM. PCM has been on back order for some time. Ford said it was shipped on Nov. 13 2013. Called the dealership on the following Friday and no part. No was told that there is an even longer wait time for the PCM. Having a aftermarket PCM installed. Two weeks without our van is long enough. Hope to have it back on Friday the 22nd of 2013. Have talked to Ford customer care, they know there is a problem. Have read that the seal under the cowling lets go and water will drip down onto the PCM connection and mess up the PCM.

- Marion, IA, USA

Oct 272013

Freestar 6-cyl

I have a 2005 Ford Freestar that I have had for 2 long long years. I am on my 3rd transmission, I have had the recall work done to it for the torque converter but its not the issue. Its the transmission. I don't have time nor money to keep putting into this car and work two jobs as it is and I need a car. Just cant do it anymore and I know a lot of others who are having to go threw the same thing and also so tired of being stranded on the side of the road. Please just fix it already. I am going to file a law suite against them soon.

- Butler, PA, USA

Jul 112011

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle independently decelerated to 30 mph. The contact applied the brakes for a traffic stop but as he accelerated from the stop, the transmission failed to operate with a rapid increase in engine rpms. The vehicle was towed to an independent transmission center. The mechanic stated that the failure was related to the torque converter. The transmission was rebuilt by the mechanic. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number 12V006000 (power train) however, the VIN was not included in the recall campaign. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 96,780.

- Stroudsburg, PA, USA

Aug 062013

Freestar 6-cyl

Using an on ramp from S.R. 87 South to highway 98 West in navarre fl. And suddenly lost the vehicle drive train. I was able to coast out of traffic to safety to await towing.

- Navarre, FL, USA

Jul 302013

I have had two incidents with this van. The first incident I was driving and heard a clicking sound and then lost all power to my vehicle. I called a tow truck and took it to a mechanic who said it was the transmission which had shavings from my torque converter of my van. He stated that he had fixed transmission and torque converter in Ford 2005 Freestars vehicles. This was in March 2012. I had it fixed with an expenses of 1, 985, but after checking on Freestars it was in the process of being evaluated. I could not wait for the resolving of this by Ford. I fixed my vehicle and assumed the cost. I received a recall notice for the torque converter/transmission. I also received a recall for the back seat. Before I had a chance to take it in for repairs. On, July 30, 2013 while driving on the highway to work my van went from 65 to 20 within a matter of seconds. I placed my hazards and looked for the access road. I then drove my van into the nearest dealer. I told the dealer rep that the symbol indicated that my power train was having problems he offered to do a diagnostic for $106. I agreed and mentioned the recalls. When I received the diagnostic results stating that the fuel pump, the eg valve, and the fuel rail pressure sensor needed to be replaced.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

May 082013

Engine light came on car stalled several times, would not shift. You people know what the problem is fix it or I will go buy something other than a Ford. I took it to a Ford dealership service and found out that water got into the pmc module and terminals were corroded. Mechanic blow dried interior of pmc best he could silicon to seal the best he could and told me it was a temporary fix. Water keeps getting into the module. Why doesn't Ford stand behind their mistakes and resolve the problem" I love my Freestar but why should I pay for the manufacture engineering mistakes"

- Endwell, NY, USA

Dec 312012

I am having transmission issues with high revving, soft shifting and what feels like slipping. And then today when I drove the van there was smoke coming out from under the dash board along with the other issues. After doing some research on line it seems as though it is the control module and as it gets wet things start to go wrong with the van. The design is faulty and needs to be fixed as water gets into the module and the connector. I have included a video link from youtube for you to look over regarding this problem and how bad design is leading to all these small complaints and problems. I am taking the van to my local dealer or shop to see if this could be the cause of my problems. This is the youtube video link

- Maumee, OH, USA

Nov 012010

Freestar 6-cyl

2005 Ford Freestar. Consumer writes in regards to transmission failure recall notice. The consumer stated in November 2010, the transmission failed, with no symptoms of failure. The transmission was replaced. In August 2012, the torque converter was replaced. The consumer believed only the torque converter should have been replaced in 2010, and not the entire transmission. The consumer is seeking reimbursement for the transmission.

- Newport, NH, USA