2005 Ford Freestar drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Freestar:

2005 Ford Freestar Owner Comments (Page 8 of 11)

Sep 152007

Freestar 6-cyl

9/2007 my husband, myself, and our 5 children were driving to my mothers house and out of the blue the van just stopped accelerating. We had the van towed to the dealership that we bought it. They told us that we needed a new transmission at 41,000 miles (just out of warranty) $2000 oop!! we had the trans replaced and are now 12/2011 having the same issue again. (just over 90,00 miles) we owe 2000$ on the van and the cost of repairs are over that. This has to be a safety issue..children in car + car randomly stopping!! I just don't understand how a van bought new off the lot can be on its 3rd transmission on less then 100,000 miles. We will never buy a Ford again and after doing a lot of research I have found 1000"S of owners with the same issues...its a shame Ford will continue to allow customers to pay for their faulty products!

- Macomb, MI, USA

Dec 302011

Freestar 6-cyl

Ford fix it Ford fix it I was driving in a wilderness area in Texas and I just got through the area and had to have a emergency gall bladder surgery I was dropped off in my van at the hospital it broke down 4 minutes later in the hospital parking lot..if this happened in the wilderness area and a dead zone for phone I could have died the van stopped working while driving!

- El Paso, TX, USA

Feb 222010

Freestar 6-cyl

February 2010- van lurched forward then failed to shift into gear. Less than 65000 miles on vehicle. Turned out to be transmission failure- Ford stated it would cost $3100 to fix. Got it fixed at a local repair shop for $1800. Mechanic stated he sees this often with this year of Freestars. In February 2011, car started having powertrain issues, skipping and slipping gear. Diagnosed as cam shaft sensor failure. Cost was over $400 to fix. Stated water was getting into the cam shaft. In July 2011, car had issues in rain- again, water in cam shaft. Mechanic drained it and it appeared to be better. December 29th, 2011 van lurched forward and would not go into gear. Was traveling 65mph and had no warning. Was stuck on busy highway in the middle of crosslane. Mechanic stated the transmission was dead at 130,000 miles- after only having had the last one for less than two years. We consumers bought these Freestars in good faith that we would have a safe, reliable vehicle. Ford has failed to deliver. I have found several other Freestar consumers stating the same complaints on websites nationwide. Ford claims "no record of failure" because they overcharge on their repairs so we end up going to local shops for fixes- I doubt they bother logging it since we won't pay them to fix it! after coasting the car into an abandoned lot, I was stuck. There was a shed that was clearly used by drug addicts (clothes, trash, needles, etc inside.) the company should stand by their vehicles- I believe if they drove these vans they would know how terrified I and other Freestar drivers are to even think about the "what-if's" that could have occurred because of their transmission failures. I am stuck because I would never risk driving the vehicle again but cannot sell it because it could put someone else in danger. My childrens' lives far outweigh the dollar amount left on the loan of this junk!

- Simpsonville, SC, USA

Dec 282011

Ford Freestar minivan with 62,000 miles on it lost power while driving at about 50 mph. Was able to steer to the side of the road. Ford dealer says torque converter failed. Dealer says torque converter failed because of output shaft splines stripping causing loss of power to the drivetrain. Cost to repair $2,200! this was an extremely dangerous situation with power failing at high speed. The failure seems similar to NHTSA action PE09033.

- Novi, MI, USA

Jan 012012

Freestar 6-cyl

On my way home from work on January 1, 2012 at approx. 4:20pm my car starts to slow down N starts to go on reverse while it was on drive. I tried different gears but the car continue to go on reverse I had no warning light, no sign of the car go bad no noise, nothing the car just slowed down N went on reverse. The car was towed to my house I have no money to fix this issue I don't know what's wrong with this car and to top it off I just bought the car in March of 2011. My understanding is that Ford is aware of these problems but has not done nothing to fix it I'm stuck making payments to a car that is not working so please tell me what can I do.

- San Antonio,, TX, USA

Dec 212011

Freestar 6-cyl

My husband and I were driving down interstate 101 when the car stopped accelerating. We barely made it off the highway before it stopped. I am now waiting for a new transmission to be placed in my van. The van never gave us any warning. It just stopped accelerating.

- Epping, NH, USA

Dec 152011

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that the transmission failed while driving 25 mph. The vehicle was merged to the side of the road and was towed to a mechanic where they inspected the failure. The mechanic advised that the transmission would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 160,000.

- Morristown, IN, USA

Oct 312009

Freestar 6-cyl

Drove to the store that day. We have been having a lot of rain. When done at the store got in the van and it started fine but when you pressed on the gas pedal the RPM would race up but the van would go no where. The Ford dealership replaced the PCM sensor because it had water in it. It was running but not like before. Took back the van on 4/21/11. Engine runs fine. Driving down the road and van started sputtering like it was choking. Stopped the van and shut off the engine, turned it back on and it ran fine. Two days later had the same problem but I was at a stop sign and the van did not want to move forward. My husband barely got it to the dealership, it just completely died on him once. Once the dealership had it they said they couldn't find anything. Just had a speed sensor changed on it on 11/15/11 they had the van for 8 days trying to figure out what is wrong. Now just tonight, when you put the van in any gear the rpms drop and the shifting is delayed. I am guessing something is wrong with transmission. How can I ever trust the Ford company again" I have been reading too many of the same problems. We are going to take the van tomorrow to see what is wrong with it again?! help!!! I also read I need to call Ford for them to have some many complaints for a recall is this true"

- Monticello, IN, USA

Dec 012011

Freestar 6-cyl

I do not write in unless but my problem is fails with code P0715 transmission and reverse cam sensor I change speed sensor transmission and the problem remains to uncover the PCM control to check the continuity I met you, as you have water intrusion as well as green particles around a pin input.characteristics of water in combination with voltage, there are resistances under 10000 homs addition of several pins that relation with solenoid of transxale.

- Fort Worht Tx, TX, USA

Sep 032010

Freestar 6-cyl

The drive shaft (half shaft) splines broke. 7 months after the transmission completely failed.

- White Lake, MI, USA

Feb 102010

Freestar 6-cyl

Transmission failure. Torque converter failure. Complete transmission replacement required. Converter failed while making a left turn at an intersection. Luckily it was late evening an no oncoming traffic or my entire family could have been hit.

- White Lake, MI, USA

Nov 292011

Freestar 6-cyl

This van has a bad computer board (PCM) due to rainwater that is allowed to funnel under the hood due to poor design of the hood. It is also possible that the transmission is being affected by this as well. The vehicle just stopped shifting into gear, followed by all sorts of electrical problems. The mechanic said the PCM was full of water and would need to be replaced. There are numerous message boards on the internet discussing this exact same problem with Ford Freestars ranging from 2004-2007 model years. Ford needs to issue a recall on these vans as this causes the engine to stall and this could happen at any time - in the middle of a busy intersection, on the highway, etc. This could have devastating results if it happens at the wrong time. Also, from what I've read on these message boards - this is a repeat problem!!!! once you fix this you will have the same problem in a year or two. NHTSA should do some research outside of formal complaints filed as I'm sure most people do not know the proper route to go. A simple internet search (that would allow you to contact or respond to individual reports) would direct you to hundreds of people with the exact same issue!

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Dec 042011

Freestar 6-cyl

On 12/04/2011 driving on a busy 2 way highway with no pull off areas. The transmission started jerking and loss of power. After getting the van back to the house to change the fluid and filter, I find a chunk of metal on the magnet. ( which I still have ) with this van only having 110,883 there is reason for this van to be down with transmission problems. I have a 2003 Ford crown vic ( police unit ) over 356,000 miles on it- still going have a 1999 Ford F250 with over 120,000 miles on it - still going so what's the issue with the 2005 Ford free star? I will never buy another Ford unless Ford steps up and fixes these transmission.

- Clay City , KY, USA

Apr 012011

Freestar 6-cyl

The vehicle starts fine, but as soon as I get to about 20mph, the vehicle stalls. I have taken the vehicle to the Ford dealership atleast four times. At first they said it was something in the transmission, then they said it was the torque converter, finally they decided it was the PCM getting wet. They said they sealed the PCM to keep it from getting wet, but all they did was caulk around the brackets that fastens the wiper cow on. Finally after getting tired of taking the van back to the dealership, I decided to pull everything apart myself. What I discovered was the PCM is located in a place that it shouldn't be. It is located on the passenger side of the firewall under the wiper cow. Water runs behind the wiper cow directly on the PCM. I have contacted the dealership about it, but all they say is, " we cant do anything about it because there is no recall". I looked online to see if other people are having problems, and to no surprise, there are literally hundreds of consumers with the exact same issues. I feel that this could potentially be unsafe to motorists, simply because the entire vehicle shuts down as you are driving. When the vehicle shuts down, there is no longer power steering or power brakes, which makes it difficult to safely control the vehicle. Please do what you can.

- Goshen, IN, USA

Nov 302011

Freestar 6-cyl

Total loss of power occurred, engine kept running but transmission did not engage. Mechanic found bad transmission / torque converter and needs to be replaced at estimate of $2500. This occurred in heavy traffic while my wife was driving and created a very unsafe condition. It just rolled to a stop. There were no warning lights, loud sounds or other symptoms.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Nov 252011

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that the vehicle would not accelerate in drive or reverse. The contact towed the vehicle to a local mechanic where the mechanic informed the contact that the transmission needed to be replaced. The contact called the manufacturer and the manufacturer stated that the vehicle was out of warranty and there was nothing they could do to assist. The failure mileage was 50,705.

- Oakville, CT, USA

Nov 242011

Freestar 6-cyl

While traveling on the interstate at 70 miles an hour, I notice that when I put on the gas the engine would race but there was a loss of forward motion. So I am on the interstate and losing speed rapidly. I was able to slow down and pull over to the side of the road on a bridge. Cars, buses and trucks were flying by at 70+ mph. The bridge would shake and there were times it looked like we would be hit by other cars. We call aaa and after an hour and 30 minutes were rescued by the tow truck. Our van was towed to the closes Ford dealer. The next day we were informed that our transmission torque converted had failed and the repair would be approximately $1,800. At a 104,594 miles and no warning the transmission was done. This was the second time in 27 months that the torque converter has failed. When the van had approximately 59,000 miles on it the torque converter failed. It was repaired at the local Ford dealer and has failed again. This torque converter is defected and places the passenger of the van in great danger when it fails.

- Topeka, KS, USA

Nov 112011

Freestar 6-cyl

I was drive my 2005 Ford Freestar van and as starting to go up overpass loss all drive power, engine was running ok but transmission was gone. Luckily this was a new bridge which had a place to pull over. I made to the top over the over pass because of speed before transmission quit. I had no warning just an all the sudden loss of the transmission. When I stopped on top of bridge I tried all gears including reverse and nothing. This is dangerous me and my wife could have been rear ended and killed because of this, between loss of drive train and crazy drivers while waiting for a tow truck to take us home. Ford need to fix cause of this problem and fix every Ford Freestar ever sold.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Nov 012011

Freestar 6-cyl

My wife was parking the van and backed up for better access to the parking space. When she shifted back to drive the vehicle would not move. She called me and I went to check out the vehicle and found no transmission engagement in any gear. I checked the manual linkage and it was connected and tight. I checked the oil and noted the oil was quite a bit above the full level like the transmission pump had quit working. We towed the vehicle to the shop where I work and removed the transmission pan. We found the transmission pan clean with only normal amounts of metal on the magnet and no indication of burned clutches. After reading the descriptions of many similar failures on the various boards I am fairly certain we will find torque converter/input shaft failure when we remove and disassemble the transmission.

- Helper, UT, USA

Oct 212011

My wife and I own a 2005 Ford Windstar. On Oct. 21 2011 my wife arrived home from work and I took the van to pick up my son from his school. Without warning the vans rpms went up and then the van stalled. I restarted the van but the van acted like it did not want to shift gears and the van stalled again. I was only 1block from home and was lucky to make it home while having to restart the van several times. I called the local Ford service center and they said to tow it there and it would cost $100 to hook it up to their computer. I love how it cost me $100 to have Ford tell me whats wrong then wants me to pay them to fix it. It only takes 5 minutes to hook up the computer with all the complaints I have seen you would think they should know. I was lucky to have a friend who works at Ford and he had to replace the PCM due to water coming into contact with the PCM. We got our van back on Thursday Nov. 3rd 2011. Then on Nov. 7th 2011(4 days later) my wife was on a busy interstate ramp getting ready to merge on the highway at about 45mph when the RPM's shot up the van hesitated and lost power she started coasting to the shoulder while traffic was speeding around her. It was also on a curve so traffic could not see her until they were right on top of her. Even on the shoulder when she called me she was terrified that someone was going to hit her because the shoulder was very narrow and traffic was within inches of the van. We had the van towed to Ford and they are going to take a look at it this Monday (Nov. 14, 2011) we are due to go out of town Friday Nov. 18th and we do not know if we will have a van to go on a vacation that has been planned for a year. My wife and I do not even know if we can trust our Ford Freestar to make the trip so we our going to have the extra expense of renting a car. We are out $750 so far and another $400 to rent a car. We have 83,000 mi.

- Portage, IN, USA