2005 Ford Freestar drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Freestar:

2005 Ford Freestar Owner Comments (Page 7 of 11)

Jun 222009

Freestar 6-cyl

My wife and daughter were driving down interstate when the torque converter went out, losing the ability to maintain any speed. Torque converter went out and transmission as well. Now Ford only wants to replace the torque converter.

- Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Aug 062011

Freestar 6-cyl

While been stop waiting in a red light the motor feels like accelerated (RPM increase too high by itself) then reduced to normal and then (when light turns green) the car do not respond to accelerator. The car do not move, do not react to the pedal. You can select reverse, drive L1, L2 or any other option, but it do not react to anyone (just parking status was enable). The car was stuck so we need to get towed to home.

- Bayamon, PR, USA

Mar 102012

Freestar 6-cyl

Driving home from the gas station when suddenly the van stopped accelerating. We were going approximately 25 mph at the time. We were at a very busy intersection so we had to get out of the way quickly but the van would not go into gear. Any gear for that matter. We pushed the van out of the way because the intersection is high in traffic especially with 18 wheelers. The transmission fluid level was where it should have been. We couldn't get the van going so we had to get it towed home. We had no prior problems with the van going in or out of gear before this incident.

- San Antonio , TX, USA

Oct 012011

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestar. While driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle began to jerk and decelerate abnormally. The vehicle was inspected by an independent mechanic who advised the contact that the torque converter would have to be replaced. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 12V006000 (power train:automatic transmission:torque converter) but was advised by the manufacturer that the VIN was not included in the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 86,000.

- Hinesville, GA, USA

Jan 252012

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that the torque converter was replaced twice by the dealer for a recurring failure. The contact was experiencing the failure again and the vehicle would not accelerate of drive in reverse. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 12V006000 (power train: Automatic transmission) but was advised by the dealer that the vehicle was not included in the recall. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired for the most recent failure. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 81,000 and the current mileage was unknown.

- Sumbury , OH, USA

Feb 212012

My family and I pulled out onto a busy street, at an intersection and a highway and as I got ready to make a right turn, the car would not move forward. There were cars blowing and a kind police officer came up to the car and asked us what was going on. As we explained, he told us that he would push us out of the road. After pushing us out of the road, he left and we had to call our insurance company to get a tow, which took about 3 to 4 hours to get there. Not to mention, I had to find a way for my family to get home. The car seemed as if it was in neutral but wasn't. it started but just would not move. To make matters worse, it is our only form of transportation and no way to get around.

- Houston, TX, USA

Feb 132012

Freestar 6-cyl

Stopped at stop sign, tried to go. Vehicle would not go, now have no gears foward or reverse, lost power without any warning.

- Chillicothe, OH, USA

Feb 182012

Freestar 6-cyl

Lost all power to wheels, engine runs fine, no warning noises etc. No transmission noise/ fluid like new. More than likely the torque converter shaft failed... I am a certified faa aircraft mechanic & have performed all routine maintenance on this van since new. Almost rear ended by semi truck while coasting to a stop.

- Vassalboro, ME, USA

Dec 272011

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that while attempting to shift into reverse, the vehicle lost all power and would not move. The vehicle was later towed to an independent mechanic where they advised him that the torque converter failed and the transmission would need replacing. The transmission was replaced. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was approximately 100,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Hazlet, NJ, USA

Jul 162010

Freestar 6-cyl

After a rain storm my van experiences problems with the power control module. The transmission will not operate correctly. This is the third time this has taken place and always associated with a rain storm. This time the engine will not start.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Jan 292012

Freestar 6-cyl

Driving straight down highway at 65 mph. Transmission simply went out with no warning. Would not move in low to drive or reverse. So far diagnosis is torque converter. Not very happy...I see Ford has had this complaint from 2004 on up. They need recall on all vehicles with this type tranmission / torque converter.

- Thomson, IL, USA

Jan 262012

Freestar 6-cyl

While I was on the highway with my four children in the van and while I was on the highway my vehicle lost power, I could not accelerate the vehicle. There was no warning whatsoever. There was no where to pull off the road safely to get myself and my children out of the way of traffic.

- Waianae, HI, USA

Jun 162011

Freestar 6-cyl

PCM (power train control module) has gotten wet and causes car to not drive. Lose power. Not start. Lunge, lurch forward. Won't engage in drive or reverse. I have replaced PCM 6 times. Broke down 5 times. Had van towed 5 times. Left van at repair shop for months at a time to diagnose problem. Finally moved the PCM to the inside of van so that it won't be effected by water. Ford has refused to acknowledge problem despite a tsb being issued. Furthermore, I replaced the transmission and a recall has been issued but Ford will not review my receipts for the transmission until letters go out. Total stonewalling by Ford.

- Lakewood, OH, USA

Nov 232010

11//23/2010. Transmission failed and vehicle lost forward momentum going up hill. Pulled over to side of road and applied parking brake to prevent vehicle from moving rearward. Vehicle towed to nearest Ford dealer : cross roads Ford in carey nc. Replaced transmiision due to failed transmission output shaft. 10/24/2011 - torque converter failed, replaxced torque converter. 11/08/2011 - transmission failed again - replaced transmission assy.

- Mt.Holly, NC, USA

Dec 272011

Freestar 6-cyl

On December 27, 2001, I was pulling out of my driveway when I lost power. I couldn't go forward or backward. My husband came out to see what the problem was. He didn't understand why it would do that. We called ferrario Ford. No answer, just an answer machine. I took our truck and drove to the dealership. They told me to call a tow company, but they couldn't get it in until the next week. Well, it sat there for a week and when the machanic called he said it was moisture. He dried it out and then called and said he had to do a flush. A few days later he called and said he would have to check the torque box and it would be a seven hour job. The next call was "it was the radiator had a crack in it". then it was the transmission. He already has us at $1820. We said no. Then I find out that there is a recall. My husband when and talked to them. At first they said they didn't know anything about it. Another guy said yes. My husband talked to Ford in Michigan. Turns out to no avail as to what has already been done. When I bring it home tomarrow it will sit in the drive way with a sign that says "lemon" no more Ford for this family.

- Big Flats, NY, USA

Jun 172010

Freestar 6-cyl

While driving down the freeway with the van full of 5 children it all of a sudden lost all transmission power. Everything else worked fine in the vehicle, but it had no power. Gas pedal to the floor and nothing. The vehicle was safely maneuvered off the freeway and the children safely removed from the vehicle and onto a service road which ran beside the freeway- until the towtruck driver could respond and tow the vehicle.

- Ridgefield, WA, USA

Dec 172010

Freestar 6-cyl

In December 2010 I was at a stop light, when I went to accelerate the car wouldn't move. Had it towed to a transmission shop and they rebuilt it. It has gone back 3 times due to continuing of problem and the check engine light keeps coming on after they turn it off. Since last visit, now the air bag light is on, check engine light is on and the horn no longer works when pushed but it occasionally has gone off for no reason. Still have problems accelerating, is sluggish, and makes a horrible noise. It needs to be smogged but will not pass due to these issues.

- Anderson, CA, USA

Jan 102012

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that when driving at low speeds and attempting a left turn, she heard a loud noise and the vehicle would no longer accelerate. The vehicle was towed to her home and was not inspected by a dealer nor repaired. The failure and the current mileages were approximately 141,900.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Dec 222011

Freestar 6-cyl

First failure was the torque converter - I was at a stop light and as the light turned green I proceeded into the intersection when the vehicle clunked and responded as if it were in neutral. I had enough momentum to coast to the shoulder. Replacement cost including labor was $600 second failure is the windshield wipers are intermittent. Failure occurs in the rain of course. Wiper will speed up then slow down then not work at all. It just happened today so I have not had it troubleshoot yet. 1/11/12 75,674 miles.

- Cullman, AL, USA

Jan 092012

My wife was driving home from work and while on the highway the car started to slow down and would not accelerate any longer. The van was acting as if it was in neutral.....she slowed to a stop in the breakdown lane and called aaa for a tow truck. The repair shop believes that it is the torque converter at a minimum.

- Norton, MA, USA