2005 Ford Freestar drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Freestar:

2005 Ford Freestar Owner Comments (Page 1 of 11)

Oct 082016

Freestar

Backed out of driveway and noticed that the transmission seemed to hesitate or shudder. Pulled onto interstate and transmission shifted very sluggishly and started slipping. Pulled off the road and vehicle would not move. With transmission in gear, engineering just reved. Had to have vehicle towed home. The next morning the vehicle would move but continues to shudder/slip. Went online and discovered recall. Had received no notice from Ford.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Aug 182016

Freestar

In motion and in drive on state route 309 the vehicle suddenly and without warning lost all ability to move. We had myself, my husband, my three daughters (17, 10, and 1) plus our new born son in the vehicle. The vehicle had to be coasted to a near by gas station but not before being very close hit in the back by a semi truck. The vehicle was placed in park, then drive again to see if the vehicle would go into gear. The vehicle failed to go into gear. The other gears on the vehicle were tested only to confirm the vehicle would not go into any gear or move. At this time Ford corperate had been contacted and they suggested we pay to have it towed to the nearest Ford repair garage. (we has just got the vehicle back 4 days prior to the inability to move, to have a power train sensor they diagnosed as bad because the power train light had been blinking and the vehicle had been jerking when put into drive.) unable to have the vehicle towed to Ford, due to lack of funds from the previous week, we had to push the vehicle home.

- Caledonia, OH, USA

Aug 302013

Freestar

My Freestar was recalled for a problem with the torque converter, ( my vehicle never really had good pick-up) anyway the trans went and a Ford dealer in NY state (watkins glen) repaired it it still didnt have any pick -up now about 1.5 years later im having same problem my vans been sitting now for a year could they have installed another faulty torque converter" what can I do"08

- Voorhees, NJ, USA

Aug 092016

Freestar

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that the vehicle decelerated and would not accelerate past 5 mph. The transaxle warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 120,000.

- Franklinville, NC, USA

Jun 092008

Freestar

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestar. While driving 25 mph down a steep decline, the transmission failed to operate. The contact lost slight steering control on the mountainous road. After regaining control, the vehicle came to a complete stop and failed to restart. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic who stated that the transmission would need to be replaced. Additionally, within the past eight years, the transmission was replaced twice. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Clayton, GA, USA

Jun 092016

Freestar

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestar. While driving in reverse at approximately 5 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle restarted; however, the transmission failed to operate in the desired gear selection until several hours later. The failure recurred on a separate occasion. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the torque converter and transmission would need to be replaced. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V006000 (power train). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 62,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Louisville, KY, USA

May 112016

Freestar

An incident from about a month ago: After traveling on the freeway and coming to a stop at a red light at the off ramp at 2am, my car began to sputter and rev. I proceeded to the next red light where my car shut off. Every time I started it, it would shut off right away. I drive for a taxi service and luckily I did not have passengers in the car with me at the time. I called a family member to come look and help. He ended up pushing my car with his into a nearby parking lot. After some investigation, I concluded it was the PCM. It was taken out to dry completely and the windshield area where water may have leaked into it was sealed with silicone. It started working again fine and has been since then. Now it has rained again and the problem has reoccurred. Today, after driving on the freeway and entering a neighborhood, my trans-axle light started blinking. Then my oil and battery light appeared and seconds after my steering wheel stopped turning and the car shut off. I was able to park in the street and restart the car, but once I put it in drive and moved about 1 foot, the car shut off again. It will turn on and stay idle, but once I start moving, it shuts off again. It has been raining the past 2 days. I suspect it is from the same issue as before. I also had my children in the car with me as I was taking them to school. I'm very lucky this did not happen on the freeway or major street.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Nov 102015

Freestar

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestar. While driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle restarted, but would not shift into gear. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 192,000.

- Hammond, LA, USA

Mar 022016

Freestar

Takata recall my transmission start slipping when 1st gear to 2nd gear. Feel like some times loosing power.

- East Rutherford, NJ, USA

Mar 032016

Freestar 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced a loss of power. Prior to the failure, the vehicle hesitated. The failure occurred without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but the failure could not be duplicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 12V006000 (power train); however, the VIN was not included. The failure mileage was approximately 151,206. Updated 04/07/16 updated 04/26/16

- Moraine, OH, USA

Oct 301015

Freestar

In 2014 we bought a Ford Freestar, found out later the torque conv. Was recalled and replaced. I took the van to Ford in our area and they flushed out the converter $185+ and that worked for a month or so and it did it again. Took it back to Ford and they kept it a week before they told me I needed a new transmission. I reported about this van before to steve kenner nvs-215kjs 12V-006 I believe that it is not just the torque converter that should have been recall but the transmission too.I had to pay alan jay Ford of wauchula, fl $40.00 for that transmission. This is just not right.! Ford said pay us the money here is a 3 year warranty and good bye. My van cost me $5300 and now I have $10,000. Into this vehicle which is not acceptable!!! my tele is 863-414-3717 I have an invoice/request #15-6151 tis@NHTSA.gov letter by email came back. Can you help me. I really think people are in danger with this type of van.Ford needs to take a look at these transmissions because they would not even rebuild that particular one so I had to get another new/rebuilt one. That's not right. Traci nickels 5407 ncr 663 bowling green, fl. 33834

- Bowling Green, FL, USA

Oct 222015

Freestar

On freeway, car lost all forward power. Motor running. Made it to shoulder. Shut all down. Started motor..put in gear.. managed to get home please see. Carcomplaints.com

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Oct 192015

• 4,800,000 miles
My van won't go into reverse and sometimes won't even go into drive. The torque converter was flushed out again after it was supposedly replaced due to recall and is still sputtering and stalling out. They tell me now I need a new transmission at 50K miles another $4K. The van was in the driveway with the health dept. Here to do work and I couldn't get it in reverse to move it for them to put in my septic. After pushing it backward I was able to put it in drive to get around the house' it has not wanted to get out of park at the doctor's office and finally worked with the shifter until it finally went to reverse-backed out-then drive. I was sitting in the middle of a busy lot when it wouldn't go into gear. Took it to Ford and they say I either needed a tcm or a new transmission. Had my van for 2 days before telling me I needed a new transmission. I only paid $5300. For it and they want $4K for a transmission. The van is a 2 owner vehicle and I bought it with 41K miles. Then Ford says that they don't rebuild that transmission-because it is crap and I need a new one. This is not right. Other people have complained of this same thing happening to them. They need to recall this transmission before someone really gets hurt. In driving the van stalls for no reason going 30 to 40mph. People will run you over. My husband is disabled and we can't be worried all the time if the van will get us to the doctor or any place else safely. Now, while the van is in the shop again for another transmission I have no way to Transport my husbands scooter to take him to the doctor. The van was bought to Transport him and the scooter. Without a reliable van I am screwed! I will never buy a Ford ever again. You need to get on this recall for the tranny. Please help these people like me. Another death trap just like the pinto..we should be reimbursed for our time and money. It isn't right.

- Bowling Green, FL, USA

Oct 022015

Freestar 6-cyl

My Freestar was recalled for trans problem, it broke down while I was driving about 3 yrs ago, Ford in watkins glen NY fixed it, it ran sluggish like it did before it broke down, I just thought "oh well I guess that's how they ran", now three yrs. Later I'm having the same problem its trans is not working again, could they have possibly repaired it with another faulty trans (torque converter) it broke down just like it did before it was repaired. Iv'E spoken to other Freestar owners that have told me there Freestar ran much better after there trans was fixed, ...both times my vehicle was in motion when the trans stopped moving, on a city street. I do believe my problem is do to another faulty torque converter. I live in N.J. now, so what can I do? thank you!

- Voorhees, NJ, USA

Oct 042015

Freestar

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that while driving at 45 mph, the vehicle failed to shift into gear. The contact mentioned when the vehicle shifted into gear, it made a humming noise and stalled. After waiting for a moment, the vehicle was restart but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the torque converter failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 142,000. The VIN was not provided.

- Perry Opolis, PA, USA

Jun 302015

Freestar 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestar. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle vibrated and stuttered without warning. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the torque converter needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 133,000. Updated 02/12/16 the consumer stated the T-converter was replaced in August 2014, due to a recall. The problem occurred again and the torque converter was replaced again in June 2015. In September the problem was diagnosed again as the torque converter.

- Cridersville, OH, USA

Aug 142015

Freestar

Drove the vehicle 1 mile to kids school on the way back it lost power, wouldn't accelerate.. the #40 fuse was blown and every time I replace it as soon as I turn the key on it blows again. Can't drive it and just seems like electrical problems keep occurring with it last time was water in the PCM causing other issues, may be the PCM again I don't know but these free stars are bad for this evidently.. bad design and definitely bad for business..

- Corbin , KY, USA

Aug 032005

Freestar

My trans is not working I only have 58000 mile want to be replace thanks thanks joe weiss

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Aug 042015

Freestar

The speeded up and lost power right in the middle of traffic. It was frightning.

- Wake Forest, NC, USA

Oct 012014

Freestar 6-cyl

Transmission problems again. There was a torque converter replace on it in 2011 and then a transmission and converter again in 2012. All under a previous owner. I bought it from that owner and now its doing the same stuff again. My local Ford dealership said there is nothing that they can do. If it still has the same problem, why wont the fix it again because it was not fixed right like it should be. They just put a bad converter in it twice and said forget it. Not fair to us that they wont fix it. This will be the third time.

- Granville, PA, USA