2006 Ford Freestar drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestar:

2006 Ford Freestar Owner Comments (Page 5 of 9)

Jul 022013

Freestar 6-cyl

I was on my way to work at 5am and was at a red light. On the green light, hit the gas and the van would not move. I couldn't get it to go into gear. It was like I didn't have any shifting abilities. The engine was running, but it wouldn't move. Called a tow truck, and yes I have a transmission problem. The torque converter is shot plus whatever else can go wrong with broken metal in your transmission. We don't have the money to fix it, so we have a pretty piece of junk in our driveway that we still owe $4,500 on. I think I will plant flowers around it so the neighbors will not see the grass growing under it. Plus that will give it a proper burial, because without a Ford recall, it will never move.

- Cilinton, MD, USA

Jul 102013

Freestar

Returned to vehicle from the store, started, selected reverse and nothing happened. Engine would respond to gas with revs, but no movement. Tried other gears--nothing would engage: It was as if every gear was neutral. Has to be towed to service center. Have now read online that this is very common and that the 2004-5 were recalled for this very issue. I am so frustrated that Ford would not recall the 06 as well. An hour earlier my wife and children could have been killed if this had happened on the freeway! also pretty disappointed in NHTSA for not leveraging its position to force Ford to address this.

- Carlsbad, CA, USA

Jul 022013

Freestar 6-cyl

I was driving my 2006 Ford Freestar in my neighbor hood with my kids with me. All of a sudden the car shook and I lost all power in my vehicle. The engine just revved like I was in neutral. I pulled over in a parking lot. None of the gears on van were working. I was very fortunate that I was not on highway and not traveling at a high speed. There is a problem with the torque converter and Ford knows it. They did a recall on the 2004-2005 torque converter but not the 2006. I have spoken to several repair facilities including a Ford dealership and they advised me that they all use the same transmission. I can not believe that Ford would consider the torque converter issue a safety recall but not one for the 2006 Freestar. I called Ford and they said that would notify me if there is a future recall but basically I am on my own. They are putting people in jeopardy of their safety and they are aware of the issue.

- Simpsonville, SC, USA

Apr 252012

Freestar

After heavy rain the van began to misfire and shake. Check engine light came on. 2 days later it went out after drying off.

- Pittsburgh , PA, USA

Jun 122013

Freestar 6-cyl

While driving in traffic, power to the wheels was disconnected and the engine revved. Car acted as though it was out of gear. After coasting off the roadway, vehicle would not engage in gear. There was no prior warning or issue. Took the car to a mechanic who changed the torque converter - problem solved. We are surprised this was not covered under the recall for 2004-2005 vehicles as it seems to be the same issue!

- Tyler, TX, USA

Jun 102013

Freestar 6-cyl

While driving on highway 11/70 in knoxville Tennessee, traveling West my wife lost propulsion and had to coast into a parking lot. Engine is fine, transmission does not provide power to wheels. This happened suddenly and without warning. We have not had any warnings that anything was going wrong with the vehicle. I realize that there is a recall for this model for the years 04, and 05, for the transmission. My failure symptom is consistent with the failure described for the 04, 05 recall. Thank you,

- Lenoir City, TN, USA

Jun 102013

Freestar 6-cyl

I was driving approximately 25 mph on a side street when the car lost power to the power train. The check engine light came on before losing power. The engine did not stall and as I pressed the accelerator, I could hear the engine revving. It was if the car was in neutral. I steered the car to the side of the road and stopped it. I turned it off and restarted it to see if I could get it to operate in gear. Again, the card turned over but there was no power in drive or reverse.

- Rochester, MI, USA

May 292013

Freestar 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that while traveling 35 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate. The engine was still running but the vehicle would not move. The contact had the vehicle towed to a dealer and it was determined that the torque converter had failed. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure and current mileages were 170,000.

- Port Alegany, PA, USA

May 102013

Freestar 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph, the vehicle suddenly lost motive power. The vehicle was towed to a dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated that the torque converter would have to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 200,000.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

May 312012

Freestar 6-cyl

As I was turning through traffic to drive up a hill, the transmission stopped working and the car no longer was able to move forward under its own power. I was lucky enough to be able to use the momentum I had to get out of the way of oncoming traffic. The transmission had to be replaced at a cost of 3,500 dollars.

- Simsbury, CT, USA

May 032013

Freestar 6-cyl

Pulled into parking lot at work, then the engine revved up as if it was in neutral and transmission would not engage. Had to coast to parking spot. If this would've happened moments earlier I would've been traveling down the highway at 75mph in traffic and could have caused a very serious wreck. I have learned since this incident the 2004 and 2005 models were recalled for this exact issue, the manufacturer date on my Freestar is Oct. 2005, so why has the 2006 models not been recalled when they have the same torque converters with the same issue as the 2004-2005 models.

- Jasper, TX, USA

May 042013

Freestar 6-cyl

May 4, 2013, 2006 Ford Freestar w/ 87,785 mi. Stopped moving in intersection with children in van.all gears acted like neutral except park. 2 1/2 hrs from home. Wife had to call carmel, in police dept. For assistance to move out of intersection for her & children's safety. Ford is aware of this issue, had recalls on 04-05 Freestars, many complaints on 06 also, no recall. Local mechanic diagnosed it as either torque converter failure or PCM, both well known issues on this car. Build date on Freestar is 12/05. We had to pay $400 to have it towed home.. this issues demands a recall before someone is seriously injured or dies. No warning before this happened..

- Dyer, IN, USA

Apr 232013

Freestar

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the transmission failed to without warning. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic for diagnosis. The technician stated that the torque converter would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 94,000.

- Trinity , FL, USA

Mar 102009

Freestar

While in drive (in a rainy night) vehicle just coasted to a stop. I had no working gears - vehicle acted like being in 'neutral' no matter what was selected. Towed to pundmann Ford and diagnosed as a torque converter problem that also ruined the transmission. Dealer quote "diag removed trans assy replaced torque converter O/D drum forward clutch and O/D band all pistons and seals road test". several thousand dollars to fix. Found out recall in 2004 and 2005 models for same problem. This is same problem and 2006S should be included. Shocking that a transmission goes completely out at 47,000 miles.

- Washington, DC, USA

Apr 162013

Freestar 6-cyl

I was going to work traveling at exactly 40 mph and engine was working fine but transmission was not engaging. The van came to a slow gradual stop. I turned the van off ant started it again with no problems but when tried to shift into gear, it would not engage. My brother who is a certified auto repair technician in puerto rico was visiting and checked it for me an stated that the transmission pump failed causing the torque converter to break. It would need to be repaired at a cost of at least $1200. I am making payments and I have no other vehicle and now I can't get to work. Ford knew about this problem because it is the same transmission recalled in 2005 the Freestar I am preparing to sue.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Apr 112013

Freestar 6-cyl

I was driving my van home from the grocery store. All of a sudden the speedometer said I was traveling at over 100 miles an hour and began to vibrate. I pulled over, turned the car off and restarted it. It seemed to be okay at first. Then when I tried to get it up to speed it would only move down the road at a crawl. Same problem as the 2004-2005 models.

- Belton , MO, USA

Apr 022013

Freestar 6-cyl

Engines runs fine and accelerates, but van does not move. As if in neutral. Same problem as recalled 2004 - 2005 faulty factory torque converter. Was almost hit on highway as speed decelerated rapidly. Seeing many others online have filed similar complaints, I am quite sure Ford knows this defect extends to the 2006 model which was built in 2005 using the same parts known to be faulty.

- Hattiesburg, MS, USA

Mar 182013

Freestar

While driving in heavy traffic during a snow storm with my 9 year old daughter on the freeway my 2006 Ford Freestar started jerking and trying to stall out when trying to get off the freeway to safety speedometer was showing I was driving 120 at a stop light. The RPM's were at a 3 while sitting still. If the van had stalled on the freeway the incident would have been horrific. Then a second incident happen on March 28, 2013 when I was preparing pull onto a side street my van started jerking and stalling out on me and the speedometer showed I going a 120 while sitting still at a stop sign.

- Corbin, KY, USA

Mar 022013

Freestar 6-cyl

When I placed the shifter lever to reverse the vehicle would not move backward. The torque converter had to be replaced. Brake booster had to be replaced.

- Rivercide, CA, USA

Feb 172013

Freestar 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled without warning while driving uphill. The vehicle was towed to a transmission specialist, who performed a diagnostic and located the failure at the transmission torque converter. The transmission was rebuilt and the vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 65,555 and the approximate current mileage was 65,655. Updated 5/7/13 updated 05/16/2013

- West Islip, NY, USA