2006 Ford Freestar drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestar:

2006 Ford Freestar Owner Comments (Page 6 of 9)

Feb 232013

Freestar 6-cyl

My husband and 5 passengers were traveling home at night from my son's hockey game ( 2 hours away) when the car felt like it was sent into neutral. Could not go forward or reverse. Thankfully they were able to coast safely to a stop. They were stranded and had to flag down help. The torque converter was totally stripped out which resulted in a repair bill of $902. ( not to mention the cost of towing) I found out that the 2004 and 2005 Freestar torque converters were on recall. Why were the 2006 models not included in this? I was told they have the same transmission and such. I will be holding onto my receipt in hopes that we can be reimbursed for this major inconvenience and safety issue. This could have been a bad situation had they been on a freeway. I am hoping that Ford will recognize that the 2006 models should be included on this recall. If not.... the next breakdown, accident, injury or death could be on your shoulders. Sorry for the rant but I am frustrated!

- Ontonagon, MI, USA

Feb 242013

Freestar

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the vehicle came to a complete halt without any warnings and there was a sudden increase of engine RPM. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the torque converter was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 92,000.

- Lake Geneva, WI, USA

Feb 132013

Freestar

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, the transmission suddenly pulled then the electrical system failed. The vehicle engine was still running but the vehicle failed to respond to acceleration attempts. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where the vehicle was awaiting diagnosis. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 103,218.

- Owens Crossroads, AL, USA

Feb 142012

Freestar 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle lost motive power without warning. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the torque converter needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 83,161 and the /current /mileage was 110,000. Updated 2/27/13 updated 03/11/2013

- Canton , OH, USA

Feb 072013

Freestar 6-cyl

Van quit moving. Engine was running fine throughout the entire incident, but the transmission would no longer engage and move the van in any direction. Waiting on diagnostic report, but have checked the VIN and there is no recall notice at this time.

- Daleville, IN, USA

Jan 212013

Freestar

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that while accelerating from a stop, the vehicle suddenly lost acceleration power. The vehicle was towed to a private mechanic where it was determined that the torque converter failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure and current mileages were 266,000. The VIN was not available.

- Morven, NC, USA

Jul 092012

Freestar

I got into my van, after dropping my mom off and was during approximately 15 miles am hour, got half way down her street when I heard this strange noise, like the sound of ron's revving on a race car or something. Than. My RPM gage was going all the way up and down. It was moving pretty slow, and I got scared and pulled over and put it in park and shut it down. I than tried to start it up again and it would not go. It just kept revving. The ron's moving up and down again. I had to have it towed to a transmission shop and they charged me $1,550 to have trainee rebuilt. I was out of a vehicle for months trying to come up with the money. Also spending money on rentals to get to work and bring my kids to school. Than just three months after getting my van back, I drove to the akron reservation and nearly the same thing happened driving up a hill on the way back. I had to have it towed again and went without my van for another week and a half. They fixed it again and than told me there was a recall on the torque converters through Ford. The 2004 and 2005 Ford Freestar. My van is an 06, and their are a lot of 2006 story's and complaints I have heard besides mine. Ford needs to extend the recall and add the 2006 models also, because it's the same defective problem as the 04, and 05.

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Jan 112013

Freestar

Running sluggish on acceleration. No warning lights regarding any problem until total failure while driving on a major highway. Was able to get to dealer. At stop sign car would not move. Re-started and was able to park. Needs transmission replaced.

- Bayville, NJ, USA

Jan 012013

Freestar 6-cyl

I was traveling down the highway when my transmission completely quit working and my RPM's shot up to 5000. I coasted to the side of the road and the transmission would not engage. I had it towed to a local shop where I was referred to cottman transmission to get it evaluated. Cottman transmission said the transmission was full of water and completely burned up. They said that these vans have a problem with water leaking through the wiper vents onto the top of the PCM and water entering into the transmission. Upon more investigation I have found out that Ford has even acknowledged the problem and still has not issued a recall. They have issued a recall on some of the 04 and 05's for torque converter issues that sound like the same problem with the 06's. something has to be done about this because I was traveling on a busy highway with my wife and kids and had the transmission locked up I could have caused a serious, possibly even fatal, wreck because of Ford's failure to correct a problem that they know exists! thankyou.

- Luling, LA, USA

Dec 302012

Freestar

While driving at highway speed (75mph) the transmission failed, there was no warning and there were no previous problems with the transmission. The transmission has no forward or reverse gears leaving it essentially in neutral. This left the car without power or the ability to safely exit the highway in the middle of crowded traffic. Except for the ability of other drivers to avoid our car this could have resulted in a catastrophic accident.

- Clifton Springs, NY, USA

Dec 222012

Freestar 6-cyl

Transmission failed without warning while driving at city speeds under normal conditions.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Aug 292012

Freestar 6-cyl

At a grocery store parking lot, after turning into a parking spot I put the van into reverse to straighten it out, when I put back into drive, it didn't move, there was no engagement whatsoever of the gears. I had to push the vehicle into the spot out of the lane of traffic and have it towed. Ironically this happened 3 days after I learned about Ford recalling the Freestar for 2005 models to replace torque converter; when the service center who towed my vehicle told me I needed a torque converter replacement I had them provide pictures of the part and can clearly see the part itself was a 2005 part! however Ford is not taking responsibility because the year of my vehicle is 2006, it cost me over $1300 to repair. I notified customer service at Ford on 8/31/12 to request a refund but so far nothing.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 082010

Freestar

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that she attempted to accelerate from a traffic stop but the vehicle would not respond. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for inspection where they stated that the torque converter needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified and advised the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 12V006000(power train:automatic transmission:torque converter). The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Olympia, WA, USA

Nov 262012

Freestar

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that while traveling 35 mph, the vehicle became resistant to acceleration attempts. The contact merged off the roadway where the vehicle was towed to a private mechanic. The mechanic inspected the vehicle and determined that the torque converter failed. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number 12V006000 (power train:automatic transmission), which he believed was similar to the failure, but did not confirm if the vehicle was included in the recall campaign. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The failure and current mileages were 118,000.

- Chesterton, IN, USA

Nov 202012

Freestar

My wife was driving home from work when she turned onto a side street, the van lost all power and the wouldn't go into gear. After researching the problem I came across alot of people with this same problem with there 2006 Freestar. I also found out that the 2004 and 2005 Freestar had recalls for this same problem. Could someone please look into this.

- Olathe, KS, USA

Apr 042012

Freestar

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that while driving 5 mph and turning into a residential garage, the transmission would not engage in any gear, preventing the vehicle from being driven. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic who advised the contact that that the torque converter was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure recurred one week later. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was 83,000.

- Greenfield , OH, USA

Nov 252011

Freestar 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph the vehicle stopped accelerating however the engine was still running. The contact smelled burning fluids. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic for diagnosis and the contact was informed that the transmission, torque converter and shaft had failed and would need to be rebuilt. The vehicle was repaired. Afterward he was informed of a recall under NHTSA campaign id number: 12V006000 (power train:automatic transmission). The manufacturer was notified but offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 85,000 and the current mileage was 106,000...updated 01/30/13 the consumer stated the vehicle ws repaired. The consumer was advised the defective transmission is the same as those included in the recall. Updated 2/1/2013

- Milledgeville, IL, USA

Aug 302011

Freestar 6-cyl

After starting vehicle, very high RPM's. when put in drive it stalls out. Sitting at stop light it stalls out. Mechanic said, "PCM is bad." It's not worth replacing if it's a design flaw. Us as consumers shouldn't have to pay for car manufactures mistakes!!

- Port Richey, FL, USA

Oct 272012

Freestar

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that while traveling 25 mph the vehicle lost power and would not accelerate. The engine was running, but the vehicle would not accelerate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and was told the torque converter failed and needed to be replaced. The failure and current mileage was 120,000.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Oct 122012

Freestar

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestar. The contact was driving approximately 15 mph when the vehicle completely stalled. The contact moved to the shoulder of the road and powered on the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to the contact's home. The manufacturer was contacted and advised that there was a recall for the 2004 and 2005 Ford Freestar vehicles however, not for the 2006 models (NHTSA campaign id number: 12V006000 power train:automatic transmission:torque converter). The vehicle was taken to the dealer who advised that the torque converter would have to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 97,780. The current mileage was 98,000.

- Byron, GA, USA