2006 Ford Freestar drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestar:

2006 Ford Freestar Owner Comments (Page 9 of 9)

Nov 242011

Freestar 6-cyl

The engine revved up real high and then there was no drive train. The transmission would not move in any gear. The motor was fine. Just no drive.

- Newark, AR, USA

Aug 012008

Freestar 6-cyl

I was driving and came to a stop light the car didn't stop it kept lunging forward I made it home and had it towed it to the dealership they called the next day to say it had water in the transmission fluid and the trans. Asked me if I had driven it into a lake" I did not they then said later that they had found a tsb saying that rain water goes down through the wind shield into a cowl to the transmission vent and gets into the fluid? Ford and my warranty company will not pay for the repairs as they say it is not a mechanical problem but due to water ? I know Ford knows that they manufactured the part or parts that lets water get into the transmission but they want at least $3,250 or more for the repairs to the transmission and for the original problem that caused this to happen. Ford is still waiting for a torque convertor for the transmission to get fixed " I have been without a car for over 3 months I am a foster parent and I need a car and I do not feel I should have to pay for Ford's manufacturing mistakes please help thanks.

- West Yarmouth, MA, USA

Oct 122011

Freestar 6-cyl

I have a 2006 Ford Freestar and it periodically decides to slam on the brakes on the freeway without my foot touching the brake pedal. The traction control light flashes and will not go faster than 25 mph. Turned off traction control button and ran fine. Turned traction control back on and the van slammed on the breaks again. Had to pull over turn off motor and restart engine to make the van stop. This has happened on six occasions over a period of 4 years. Rapid deceleration from cruising speed (65 mph) to 25mph with absolutely no operator control on the freeway and with children in the rear seat. This is a serious safety issue and must be investigated by the ntsb and remedied by Ford. It's only a matter of time before there are deaths associated with this defect. This car has been in the dealer's shop for a fix on three occasions and the problem persists.

- Puyallup, WA, USA

Sep 092011

Freestar

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestar. The contact stated the vehicle failed to accelerate when driving uphill. The vehicle was towed to a local repair shop and the manufacturer was contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 41,163.

- Coal Center, PA, USA

Aug 172011

Freestar

Van was on cruise control. Engine reved up and van slowed to a stop. Even on manual control (not on cruise control) the engine would speed up, but the van would not move. Lucky that there was S shoulder to stop on. Sale Ford service department diagnosed the problem as a transmission department. Many, many people have reported this same problem to Ford Motor Company.

- Clayton, NC, USA

Jun 202011

Freestar

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that water penetrated the hood, causing the transmission and the electrical system to fail. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was informed that water damaged the transmission, instrumental cluster, and smart module. The dealer replaced the transmission. The instrumental cluster and smart module were not replaced. The failure mileage was 100,000 and the current mileage was replaced 105,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Paulina, LA, USA

Aug 272010

Freestar

I was trying to get into a freeway from a ramp, but the vehicle will not speed up; the transmission just hesitated, instead, a wrench light came up on the instrument panel. I took it to a dealer and I was told that the transmission valve body and torque converter needed to be replaced (on a vehicle with just 42,604 miles)! it cost me $2,003.76. I read online that several owners were having similar transmission problems. I wrote to Ford Motor Company customer relationship manager, but they failed to reimburse me for this apparent defect or even acknowledge the apparently widespread problem with their vehicle!

- Upper Arlington, OH, USA

Jul 162009

Freestar

Transmission failure on my 2006 Ford Freestar with only 50,000 miles.

- Charleston, SC, USA

Jun 272010

Freestar

My newly purchased used 06 Ford Freestar is misfiring. Is still under powertrain warranty. How do I get Ford to accept this as the problem and repair/replace the problem?

- Newmarket, Ontario Canada, 00, USA

May 132009

Freestar

With less than 50,000 miles on the 2006 Ford Freestar mini van both of the front hub assemblies had to be replaced. The service representative at the dealership stated that this has been a problem with all Freestars but only some of the 2004 models were governed by recall. This is the second Freestar that I have had this problem with.

- Green Bay, WI, USA