2006 Ford Freestyle drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestyle:

2006 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 10 of 17)

May 152012

Freestyle 6-cyl

After starting engine, placed in reverse and vehicle suddenly surged backward while my foot was still on the brake. Later, engine was periodically surging forward as I kept my foot on the brake while in rush hour traffic until the "wrench" light came on the instrument panel at which time the engine died. Restarted engine and idled smoothly until I put it in drive and started lurching forward again as "wrench" light came on again. Idle RPM was fluctuating between 400 to 1,000 RPM with my foot on the brake. Had to keep left foot on brake with right foot on accelerator to keep engine running without bucking. Moved to side of road and turned off engine to wait out traffic. Restarted about 15 minutes later and drove home with no more problems, but noticed that it periodically bucks when idling so had car serviced and they said that the computer had reset itself. Still does it periodically.

- Pearl City, HI, USA

May 232012

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the transmission light illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and was told that the transmission needed to be replaced. The contact stated that the dealer advised that the transmission could not be repaired, only replaced. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage and current mileages were 90,800.

- Southfields, NY, USA

May 182012

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle would not respond to acceleration moving forward or reversing. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the transmission was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 92,000.

- Little Rock , AR, USA

Apr 262012

While vehicle was pulling into garage the vehicle surged forward striking and pinning a person between the vehicle and brick wall. Person recieved injuries to both legs requiring medical treatment. This vehicle has surged ever since we purchased it. Ford has told us repeated times that it's not a recall problem because it's not a safety problem.

- Mooreville, MS, USA

May 132012

Motor surge, leaching out of control.

- Independence, MO, USA

Apr 162012

Freestyle 6-cyl

Purchased used three days prior to first incident. I was traveling at 55mph when I asked the vehicle to accelerate to maintain the current speed up an incline. The vehicles rpms shot up to 5K and I couldn't accelerate. I had my infant daughter in the car with me and was almost hit by another car behind me. I was forced off the road and turned the vehicle off. When I restarted all was ok again. This has happened numerous times since. I have also had a problem with the vehicle accelerating without me hitting the gas. I was in a parking lot when I put the vehicle in reverse and removed my foot from the brake. As I did this the vehicle lurched out of the space almost striking a pedestrian that walked out behind me. I was able to react quickly enough and hit the brake stopping the car. This has also happened in my driveway in drive as well. Dealer is aware of the problems on this car from the previous owner having it in the shop multiple times. They have told me that the part to fix the transmission problem is in-accessible and that my only option is to replace the entire transmission for $4500. When all I need is a single part inside the trans. Also, the throttle body is on backorder. The dealerships response to all of these problems is without an apology to take $50 off of my service bill for my inconvenience. The vehicle is currently sitting in my driveway because I am too scared to drive it. I have just made my first payment on a car I cant drive.

- Helenwood, TN, USA

Jan 012011

Freestyle 6-cyl

The car will lunge once foot is taken off of the brake pedal without pressing down on the gas pedal. Car lunges in both forward and reverse. This has happened multiple times..

- Troy, OH, USA

Apr 022012

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the vehicle exhibited an abnormal rattling. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic who inspected the failure and advised that the cvt transmission was defective and would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. As the contact left the dealer, the shifter became stuck in drive and could not be shifted into any other gear. The dealer was notified who advised the contact that there were no recalls on the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure who filed a complaint on behalf of the contact. No further assistance was offered. The failure mileage was 97,000.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Jul 192011

First, during a family vacation the wrench light kept coming on and the 2006 Freestyle would have no acceleration like the transmission would not engage to get the required speed to pass. This results in slowing traffic down causing road rage with other drivers in the vicinity. On one occasion one of our teenagers who is learning to drive experienced this and will not drive the car for this reason. Also, on several occasions while I was driving in route to work or the grocery store, my 06 Ford Freestyle sel limited seemed slow and sluggish to respond as I would be waiting at a red light for the green. When the light did turn green and I would press the gas pedal to go, the car would stall/shut off. A few times there were close calls as the car behind me would be unaware I was having trouble and almost rear-end me. When the car would cut off, I would proceed to restart the car and then press the gas to go. The car seemed to respond extremely slow like I would have the gas pedal pressed to the floor and would only be able to go 20 - 25 mph. On other occasions, the car would seem to lurch forward or backward (depending on if I had the car in drive or reverse) the wrench light coming on my 2006 Ford Freestyle creates a very dangerous situation because the engine will accelerate without applying the gas pedal and will not accelerate at times when the gas pedal is pressed. People at Ford tell me that the company making the valve body part went out of business without notice, which does not help my situation any. So what is to be done" I have notified my state and federal highway safety commissioners, NHTSA, and my friend who also owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle of the problem and I would like to ask everyone with a similar problem to do the same. Please explain, what is to be done"

- Millbury, OH, USA

Sep 012011

My wife was coming home from work, she went to park the car outside in front of our porch where she normally parks at. She still had her foot on the brake and was getting ready to switch gears when the car accelerated and went over our flowerpot and into my porch braking a few boards and scratching the front of my car. This is not the first time it has accelerated on us while not suppose to. When I bought the car in August 2011 we took it to myrtle beach for a week, while in myrtle beach the car would try to take off and/or die while at low speeds with the A/C on. The problem almost caused us to hit a pedestrian. This car is very unsafe, and really needs the problem fixed.

- Proctorville, OH, USA

Nov 172011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Sept 2011: Started vehicle and put in reverse to back out of a space and engine revved. If I did not have my foot on the brake it would have leaped backwards thru the parking lot. When I shifted into drive it briefly tried to leap forward. I turned the vehicle off, turned it back on and the diagnostic warning light went off and vehicle seemed normal. Throttle body replaced by Ford ($800+). Nov 2011: Speed over 50 mph, went to pass another vehicle and when I pressed the accelerator the vehicle bogged down, rpms revved and it would go no faster than 35-40 mph. Diagnostic light comes on. Pulled over, turned the vehicle off briefly, restarted, diagnostic light goes out and I proceeded. As long as I do not "punch it" in high gear I can increase speed when going over 50. Increase must be gradual. Condition has happened several times since initial instance.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Jul 052011

Freestyle 6-cyl

I was backing up and my car unexpectedly surged into a utility pole. Thankfully nobody was behind me, just the pole. My bumper has a gouge in it. This is not the first time my Freestyle surged. This is very dangerous, and I expect at some point in time, Ford or NHTSA will certainly have to fix/recall this vehicle. I had my car in for service on multiple occasion for this. They keep replacing parts, but they are not correcting the problem.

- Valencia, PA, USA

Mar 022012

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while driving approximately 70 mph and attempting to accelerate, the vehicle would decelerate haphazardly instead. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where they advised the contact that the transmission would need replacing. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and they offered no assistance. The failure mileage was approximately 77,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Winter Haven, FL, USA

Apr 202007

Freestyle 6-cyl

I bought my 2006 Ford Freestyle with 23,000 miles within 4 months I started experiencing a whining noise. The noise started getting louder and louder, I then started to feel the car wanting to accelerate while my foot was on the brake, this happened about 5 times. The car would stall and the wrench light would come on. I would turn it off and let it cool a little and it would start right up again. The problems continued especially in the heat. I live in miami Florida and it was just about everyday that this would happen. Then finally it happened, the car just died on me. I want to point out that I took the car to the dealer with 30,000 and they told me there was nothing they could do because no lights came on. I let them service the car and they told me everything was ok. The dealer told me I needed a new transmission. I could not believe it, he also told me the throttle body went and intake manifold had went as well. I asked if there was anything Ford could do they said I would have to call. Ford was the worst at customer service that I ever experienced. They said no to everything because I was out of warranty. After spending almost $6,000 the dealer told me that Ford was now giving 100,000 mile warranty for remanufactured transmissions. To this day, I have replaced brakes, rotors, another throttle body, front engine mount and the car is now experiencing a whining noise again. I still have 15,000 warranty left on last tranny I put in. I'm thinking they may have to put a new tranny in again. Ford knew about this recall and how dangerous it was and never asked for a voluntary recall, I am also very disappointed with the NHTSA. There have been thousand of complaints and they also did nothing about.

- Miramar, FL, USA

Sep 022011

Freestyle 6-cyl

The vehicle lunged while in reverse when backing out of a restaurant parking space. Rapid hard application of brakes stopped the vehicle after 15 ft. I put the vehicle in park and turned off the ignition. The vehicle then operated normally. It was a 90 degree day with ac on.

- Butler, PA, USA

Feb 022012

Freestyle 6-cyl

Purchased used 2006 Ford Freestyle in 11/2007 with approximately 35,000 miles. 2008 vehicle began lunging and accelerating without pressing on the gas pedal, had throttle body replaced at the dealer. Vehicle drove fine for approximately 12 months then began the lunging, accelerating and occasional stalling. Husband replaced throttle body himself after purchasing a new throttle body from the dealer. Again, it drove fine for a while. Now the beginning of 2012 it is happening again. This is obviously a factory/part failure that needs to be recalled. There are way too many Ford Freestyle owners of '05, '06, and '07 owners that have also been dealing with the same problems.

- Huffman, TX, USA

May 102011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Not sure on date when incident occurred, but the vehicle would start lunging even while brake pedal was engaged. Problem worsened over a short period of time to where it would cut off multiple times. Also problem would get worse while air condition was on. One day pulling into a parking spot one day the vehicle lunged forward causing me to hit a parking block. Damage was done to the front bumper only. Eventually it got to where we were unable to drive the vehicle. Has been parked for several months. Will crank up for a couple seconds and will cut off.

- Kannapolis, NC, USA

Feb 142012

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while driving 30 to 40 mph, the vehicle would lose power. The RPM S would increase to 4,000, the air bag light, traction control light, and the onboard diagnostic light would also illuminate when the failure occurred. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic and a diagnostic was performed, but the mechanic was unable to generate a failure code. The contact stated that the vehicle would return to normal function when the engine was turned off for a few moments. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and advised the contact to have a dealer perform the diagnostic. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 135,000. The VIN was not available.

- Portland , TN, USA

Aug 082011

Hearing a thud noise and then it started a sudden surge forward by itself while I had my foot on the brake.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Feb 272008

My Ford Freestyle has been lurching for years. I have now started stalling when pulling into parking spaces, or making sharp turns. My air compressor needs replacing and I was told the erg valve may cause the lurching? my engine lights comes and goes sporadically and I have to go through carpool line or grocery store with one foot on brakes. I can't fully feel confident at redlights that I won't rearend the person in front of me. I can't understand how this is a issue we should all be stuck with when its obvious a defect. I filed a complaint quite awhile back but now the stalling and lurching has become quite a safety issue. I can live without air although the mechanic seems to think its all related... please recall the issued parts! I stall on hills, when pulling out into traffic, I lunge at random times and then....its fine for the next drive... then dangerous the next!

- Covington , GA, USA