2006 Ford Freestyle drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestyle:

2006 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 11 of 17)

Mar 012011

Freestyle 6-cyl

This car started surging little by little getting progressively worse as the months went on. Hotter weather seemed to make it worse, stalling in drive thru's and lurching more. A few times cutting out all together, having to wait in parking lots to come back on. Then it began making a high pitched whining sound like the transmission was going to blow up if it got to "over worked" it seemed. Then wow "shock of all shocks" this lemon of a car simply died while finally sputtering it's last gasps sounding like a diesel engine mack truck and had a " catastrophic engine failure" as two different mechanics of ours diagnosed. Now we are faced with replacing the engine, used at a steal for about $3000 to $5000+ or taking a huge loss since we owe on it still. And gee what do we have to look forward to if we do replace the engine" a safe non-lurching ride? no. A future free from more costly repairs? no. New throttle body replacement and new transmission replacements" I can't wait!!! what a joke. I hate this car. Please recall something, anything to take this death trap off my hands!!! and yes I have a small child that has to ride in this bundle of safety too.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Apr 082009

Freestyle 6-cyl

I have a 2006 Freestyle. I have a few major issues with the vehicle. About 3 months after we purchased the vehicle used I was driving on the freeway when all of a sudden the wrench dash light came on and it seemed like the car was shifted into a lower gear. I checked the shifter just in case, but it was still in drive. No matter how much gas I gave it the car wouldn't go any faster than 20 or so mph. I got off the freeway and took surface streets straight to the dealership to see of they could figure it out. I parked the car while I was waiting for the service person, when I turned the car back on everything was back to normal. This has happened several times in the past years but if you turn the car off and back on everything is fine so the dealership cant seem to diagnose the issue. Shortly after that when the summer came the car started lurching or surging when at slow speed, typically if we were idling in a drive thru or going slowly to park or back out of a parking spot. I cant tell you how many cars and people I have almost hit because of this issue. And of course we are no longer under warranty so it will be thousands to fix it. Last issue is with the A/C. I just replaced the compressor in August due to a bent valve or something in the compressor that was not fixable. The mechanic told me this has been a huge issue with this type of Ford, but again no warranty and no recall so I'm out $1300 on a car with less than 80,000 miles on it.

- Spring , TX, USA

Dec 222011

Freestyle 6-cyl

When driving at low speeds the car will lunge forward on its own. It is usually when pulling out of a parking space or pulling up to a stop sign. This happens when you are not pressing on the gas at all but lunges forward on its own. When driving at a high speed it does the opposite and the emergency brake/parking brake tries to engage. For instance I was going 60 mph on the highway and the ABS and parking brake light came on, the speedometer dropped to 0, and the rpms revved up. My foot was on the gas the entire time yet the vehicle kept pulling back like it was trying to engage the brakes.

- Horizon City, TX, USA

Jul 082010

I was in myrtle beach summer of 2010 when I was backing my vehicle out of a parking space it lunged back almost causing a wreck. Then when I went forward did the same stalled. Changed fuel filter and everything. About 1 month later did it again. I seems to do it when the temperature outside is warm. This is very scary and not sure what has to happen for Ford to recall. I guess someone has to die and they have to be sued.

- Beulaville , NC, USA

Jul 212011

Freestyle 6-cyl

My Ford started jerking backwards when I put reverse or lunging forward when I start driving forwards. This happened twice, once in the jekyll island when we were on vacation (all three days) in July 2011 and also when recently like three months ago, Oct 2011. I first noticed when I was backing out from a hotel parking lot. I thought I am going to it the other cars. Also, I changed the brakes twice, once from the dealer and once from the auto mechanic. My mileage so far is 50K and this is a 2006 Ford Freestyle. I constantly face brake problems in this vehicle. And also other problems.(like front axle) could someone do something about these problems, please!!!

- Oviedo, FL, USA

May 102011

Freestyle 6-cyl

My car began having problems lunging forward while I was stopped at a school zone cross-walk waiting for children to cross. It lunged forward and stopped just inches from hitting 4 children. It terrified me!!!! it happened several times that day and the next day until I could get it in the shop. I was told it needed the throttle body replaced by the Ford mechanics but luckily I got by with just a throttle body cleaning. The car no longer lunges forward. About the same time, the car had problems feeling like it wouldn't get past 2nd gear and it wouldn't accelerate. I still don't know what caused this. A few months later the car started making a strange clicking noise that would get faster when I would accelerate then slower when I would brake. It quit making the noise by the time I could take it to get it looked at a few days later. The air conditioner won't get cold unless the car is in motion. The heater does the same thing. It only seems to happen on extreme temperature days. Then spontaneously, both these problems seemed to fix themselves. Just this week, my car backfired 2 times, then the next morning when I started it, it smelled horrible! I turned it off immediately, then the next day, it wouldn't start. Took it to my Ford mechanic, and he said everything checked out ok. He now thinks there is something wrong with the computer system. Everything I have read on the internet suggests that these have been huge problems for many Ford Freestyle owners. And yet no recall? come on Ford!! you have lost many loyal customers over this!! please help all of us to get a recall issued for this car!! I am a single mother of three children, and if I get stranded, I, like many people, have nobody to call and no way to pay if I get stranded. Please help before someone gets seriously injured or even killed. Many other probs but no room to list.

- Okc, OK, USA

Jun 012011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Vehicle lunges randomly when I am backing up and occasionally when I am going forward. It has been doing it for a while. I had to put both feet on the brake pedal to keep it from hitting a pole. Took it to the dealership and they diagnosed it as being the throttle body. Upon doing research, I saw that it has been a problem with several vehicle of the same make. As for a date when this occurs, it is like I stated before it is random and has been doing it for a while and more frequently.

- Rockledge, FL, USA

Dec 202011

Freestyle 6-cyl

While accelerating from a stop the chain-driven cvt failed. According to 2 technicians that I spoke with the unit requires replacement due to internal damage, at a cost of approximately $6,400. Upon doing research on the make/model/transmission it appears this is not an uncommon occurrence. I realize this vehicle is beyond it's warranty, however, a 5 year old car with 61K miles should not require a $6K repair under any circumstance barring a collision. The vehicle (with a functional transmission) is worth approximately $9K as a trade. Unless I receive a subsidy from Ford or a christmas miracle, this otherwise functional and safe car will be sold for parts/scrap. Shame on Ford for not backing it's products.

- Beavercreek, OH, USA

Dec 202011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Vehicle will not start. Dealership claimed that the throttle body needs to be replace along with a computer update to a tune of $800+. various posts have been found on the internet regarding a known defect with this model year's throttle body including a "lunging issue" caused by this failed component. I would like this issue to be investigated and Ford to be responsible for the replacement and remedy of this defective component.

- Macomb, MI, USA

Dec 082011

Freestyle 6-cyl

When pulling out of my driveway the car would not accelerate, seemed to not have any power. Then when placing my foot on the brake at a stop sign it surged forward. It was really scary and had there been traffic, I would have been hit broad side, as I felt I couldn't control the car. The wrench light came on, and as I drove my son to school, the car continued to either have no power or was surging forward, I called my local dealer where I had just had the cvt transmission replaced in September, and asked to bring it in. They diagnosed it as a throttle body problem, and replaced it. I had asked about this when the transmission was replaced, and they had told me they didn't know about any problems. Oh please!!!!!! I've also had two very dangerous tire blow outs, and after some research see that unusual inside tire wear has also been a problem on Freestyles due to the sway bar links. Now tomorrow.... I am back at the dealer for the engine mount, yet another repeat problem that needs to be recalled. Please help us get these dangerous cars recalled and repaired!

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Dec 072011

Freestyle 6-cyl

This incident actually started happening in 2006 not too long after I had bought the vehicle; however it did it only once or twice, or maybe not even so much that I noticed it; however in the past year and a 1/2 I have been experiencing the car lunging forward or backward. It always seems to do it when pulling in or backing out of a parking lot or the driveway. I have noticed that it seems to occur when the ac unit is on. Turn the ac unit off and it doesn't do this. I find this very disturbing because even with foot on brakes the car doesn't want to stop, it wants to proceed. Fortunately for us it hasn't resulted in any kind of collision. I feel it is only a matter of time before something bad happens. Please investigate and issue recall. I understand that it is a throttle body issue which costs a lot of money and this is the only family car we have. I can't afford to pay to have this fixed. Struggling as it is after 2 job losses in 3 years time. Please help!

- Newport News, VA, USA

Jun 062011

I drive a 2006 Freestyle. Just weeks after buying it from used dealer the vehicle started lunging when I would attempt to stop or be at a slow pace. Example being in parking lot and trying to park it would lung from about 1000 RPM to 4000-5000 rpms. This would throw my car forward. I did tap a car that day but no body damage. Also the car will be driving down the road and the wrench comes on and motor shuts down. There is no warning and has been very scary when merging into 75mph traffic with no where to go. On the 6th of June 2011 the throttle body was replaced. However within the 30 days all symptoms were occurring again. I had the compressor go out which cost $1000 to replace. On 12/02/11 I took the vehicle back to the shop, they ran codes and found it was the transmission. I have many accounts of the lunging and the wrench shut down issue. It has become very regular and makes my car very unreliable.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Nov 182009

Freestyle 6-cyl

Vehicle would surge while parked in reverse or forward. With the foot on the brake vehicle would actually lurch in movement several feet. One time almost hitting a pedestrian. The transmission failed due to a failed inlet shaft bearing which was caused by incorrect machining of the inlet shaft.

- Deltona, FL, USA

Jul 132010

Freestyle 6-cyl

The car when your at a stop or low speed, in drive or reverse the car will try to lurch. When driving down the highway it's fine but when you come to a stop the wrench light comes on. A couple of times the car wouldn't go right away but eventually it would sometimes after turning the car off and back on again the wrench would be gone and would be able to go. Sounds like sometimes the car isn't shifting right.the lurching is really noticeable when the A/C is on. Can't have the A/C on when at a stop or it will lurch.

- Cicero, IN, USA

Aug 042011

Freestyle 6-cyl

I have a 2006 Ford Freestyle. Months before I went to 2 Ford dealers about a problem of the car surging at stop lights and also when I took my foot off the brake at stop signs. The third dealer in August that I had went to stated the throttle body had to be replaced, my extended warranty had just expired in April of 2011. The car had just turned 60,000 miles. They would not cover it under the warranty. There was a recall on the surging problem but this car dealer said it did not fit my VIN number. I want to put on the record that my car and VIN fit the recall and could have been taken care of under warranty but the first two dealers in the jacksonville area ignored the matter. I will never buy another Ford vehicle and I have been faithfully riding in them for years. I hope this helps others to be adamant and to have their vehicle checked for the throttle body problem as maybe a solution for their car surging at stop signs. I am very disappointed in the american Ford dealership. I hope no one has the close calls of hitting the vehicle in front of them due to this car surging forward problem as I have.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Oct 172011

Freestyle 6-cyl

2006 Ford Freestyle with 69,000 miles, while putting in forward or reverse vehicle would lurch and RPM's would rise to around 3500 Ford states it's an throttle body module problem.. replaced throttle body module and now vehicle will not go into gear. Dealership now states its a transmission problem. Many reported problems with the Freestyle for exact problem. This is a safety problem and a recall should be issued.

- Mcdonough, GA, USA

Oct 072011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Car wrench indicator light went on and could no longer accelerate on major ramp. Had to completely shut down car on major roadway and restart in order to move. Took to dealer and replaced throttle body ($1100). Car surging without warning. Did same thing on major highway 2 days later. Ford misdiagnosed and now replacing 5 year old transmission on 68K mile car for $5000.

- Lantana, TX, USA

Sep 282011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Good day, while driving my vehicle the vehicle stopped, pushed to the side and tried starting. It never fully recovered the speed, I was able to make it down to the gas station, where I talked to someone and I had to make it into the dealership. Even though this is my first time. There has been jerking in the past, pedal sticking, and acceleration of the vehicle. Now there are work issues and no one has the money to buy another car, and from searching this site and others, there are quite a few complaints. It would be wonderful if they would fix the problem, seeing as they stopped making the car after 2006, and there are very few parts. This van has some issues, and the dealership I took it too wants to charge me for experimentation on my car, throttle body, and they said if it was not the throttle body, then it was the transmission. I want to understand this because I thought all dealership are suppose to be honest and let people know what is really going on. They did not tell me any of this and they still want to charge me 8,000 dollars, and it is a rip-off. More people need to write in about this vehicle and the Ford and the transportation division needs to be held responsible, for taking great peoples hard earned money, have a great day.

- Southfield, Mi, MI, USA

Aug 012007

Freestyle 6-cyl

Vehicle is a 2006 Ford Freestyle limited all wheel drive...often, when idling with the transmission in drive and foot on brake, the engine rpms will increase without pressing the accelerator and the car will lunge forward until extreme pressure is applied to the brake pedal. Sometimes, especially when in reverse and the car lunges as described, the car will stall after lunging and the check engine light will come on. Upon restarting the engine, the car will run, but in a limited capacity with the check engine light on. Stopping the car, turning the car off, and then restarting the car, clears the check engine light and the car will operate normally. This seems to occur more often when ambient temperature is around or above 90 degrees Fahrenheit. Since we purchased the car new in 2006, this has occurred at least 50 times.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Sep 262011

Freestyle 6-cyl

My 2006 Ford Freestyle is absolutely the worst made car I have ever owned! throttle body problem... 50,000 miles, check! ac compressor goes bad.... 60,000 miles, check! and now beginning at 79,000 miles the cvt transmission is trashed! $6000 to fix and you can't even get a new one! I drove it knowing it would go bad another 3000+ miles because I was destined to spend a lot of money either way. The mechanic actually suggested I trade it in when it began. Would that have been fair to whomever bought it" these are all common early mileage problems with the Freestyles! there are numerous posts about other owners with the same problems, especially these three and there are a couple more that fortunately I have dodged to this point. What is Ford going to do? just let those of us who bought Freestyles with cvt suffer. What about the fact that you stopped using the cvt transmission on the Taurus X? why" I think we know based on the numerous cvt failures at such low mileage. But not low enough to be covered by warranty.

- Madison, MS, USA